Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Dallas Texas

Dometic 17' Manual Awning Install

Since the weather is getting better I'm going to pick a weekend and install my new awning. There was an awning there along with the support hardware but it got stollen a couple years back. I bought a new awning already on the tube, support poles (the vertical poles that mount on each end) and related hardware.

I have the instructions but was wondering if anyone has done this and has any good pointers or videos.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Few things.
http://camping.lovetoknow.com/How_to...wning_Yourself

http://toughtopawnings.com/how-to-re...ng-fabric.html

http://www.dometic.com/enie/Americas...ation-Manuals/

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

I put one on my old TT it was 17 ft and it was not that bad to do. It took an hour and 1/2 but I usually move kinda slow to ensure I dont forget anything. These are the things I took away form installing mine. Follow the instructions that came with the awning. Get two ladders one for the front and one for the back have a neighbor or wife or husband help you are going to need it once you start to slide the fabric into the fabric holder. DO NOT TAKE the cotter pin out until the directions tell you to. That cotter pin is holding the tension springs. After you get all the pieces on then you can probably remove the cotter pin again following the instructions. After that I made sure all the bolts were tight and opened the awning.

It is not that difficult to do just need to head the warning they provide in the instructions. If you accidentally took that cotter pin out and it unsprung it would simply be a mattter of getting the correct amount of turns for that awning to get thetension back in. I am pretty sure you have to drill out the pop rivet in the end to redo the tension but I could be mistaken. Please correct me if I am wrong. It has been a while since I did mine.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Dallas Texas

Thanks for the input and links. For my situation the fabric is already on the roller. I bought the fabric on the roller since they stold the whole thing.

I was wondering if I should keep the bolts on the top of the verticle posts loose inorder to fit the roller or do they need to be completely secure? I suppose I'll find out soon.