Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #1

Dometic 9100 Awning - LED out and takes in water

Ok, I posted back in the fall and was not able to explain the set up well and did not have pics. So now let's try with pics. (1st attempt at pics so stand by)

The LED strip went out. The LED strip is installed in a C channel in the roller no adhesive. On each end there is a plastic insert that cannot be removed without removing the end caps. End cap can not be removed without drilling out rivets. Surely there has to be an easier way but if not after next trip out I will get it done.

Also, the awning takes in water every time it rains while it is in storage. Wondering if the tension might need adjusting or how to keep the rain out. I have a mildewed mess to clean up. If tension is not the issue I'm going to work on some type of cap to put over the end when stored.

Thanks
Robert R

2016 Surveyor 32BHDS
2016 Chevy 2500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Right.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	167581  
Attached Images

RnRushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #2

I tried two liter bottles over the ends with a little electrical tape, but the wind blew them off. I don’t know if they would have helped to keep it dry or not. I didn’t want to go crazy with the tape and ended up not using enough.

My LEDs are on the trailer, not in the tube.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Also, the awning takes in water every time it rains while it is in storage.
When my awning pulls into the trailer the tube rolls UNDER the awning, so when the awning is fully wrapped up there is only a maybe 4-6 inch long piece of awning exposed which is OVER the tube and this promotes rain shedding off the awning. So I wonder are you rolling the awning so that it rolls OVER the awning and creates an area to collect water when stowed? AM I explaining this so that you understand the awning can roll with awning tucked under the tube OR rolled OVER the tube.

Hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #4

The tube rolls under the awning. Ill open it and let it dry completely. I roll it up and after a rain the whole awning is wet. I think the water wicks in from the ends.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

Rsdata yes i understand (or think I understand). The awning is rolling up with the tube under the awning. I think the water is coming in from the end of the rolled up awning
Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #6

Im not 100% sure, but you probably have to remove an end cap to replace the LED strip. It might be easier to mount a strip on the trailer under the awning.

Just curious. How does the strip get power?

Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #7

the tube has the motor and power leads to roll up the awning so they must tap that power for LED...

try this trak and these lights to replace what you have...
the tube lights clip into the track and are removed each time you roll up the awning and stored
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a01.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	167598   Click image for larger version

Name:	a02.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	167599  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

The power comes up the rear support arm similar to motor power on front support. I could possible reroute and put a stick on strip on the camper. The first image show the gray power wire going to the tube, and the end of the old strip. I was able to remove most of the old strip by running a screw driver along the bottom edge. If I could get the black plastic spacer out, i might be able to put a new strip in the "c" channel.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #9

Big problem with light strip on tube is the lights can’t be used when awning is rolled up. I installed my light strip on the RV side wall directly under the awning. I found the best quality at
https://www.superbrightleds.com/
Best price and guarantee too.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #10

A couple of ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
The tube rolls under the awning. Ill open it and let it dry completely. I roll it up and after a rain the whole awning is wet. I think the water wicks in from the ends.
There are a couple of things that tend to cause water to get into the folded coil of the awning.
  1. There can be a low trough between the anchor bar on the side of the RV and the top of the roll. Water collects in this slight trough, then runs around the end and into the end of the roll.
  2. Above the anchor bar (and part of it) is the rain gutter. Leaves and pine needles build up in the gutter and clog at the (poorly-designed) awning brackets. The spillover also gets into the ends of the coil.

This happens on both of our trailers. I have yet to figure out how to prevent it.

A caution about taking off the end caps: If I remember right, the non-motorized awning is constructed like a window shade. One end is active and coupled to the internal spring. The other end is passive and is connected to nothing. Save yourself a lot of work and take off the passive end.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRushin View Post
The power comes up the rear support arm similar to motor power on front support. I could possible reroute and put a stick on strip on the camper. The first image show the gray power wire going to the tube, and the end of the old strip. I was able to remove most of the old strip by running a screw driver along the bottom edge. If I could get the black plastic spacer out, i might be able to put a new strip in the "c" channel.
I had a new awning installed and they used the one slot on mine that was open. Took my dremel tool and opened up the one that was blocked. Now I can use my sun screen again. That plastic should be fast and easy to grind away for the slot. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #12

Yes I have debated on using a dremel tool to avoid having to deal with the tension spring. I thought I might be missing something as these LED light strips fail and figure it was installed in way that allowed removal.

As to water entering the rolled up awning, the cutters are clean. I will check the ends to see if as mentioned there is pooling of water due to how it is installed. This is my second TT and the last one did not taken water when stored. I just have fairly evenly space mildew strips to clean off.

thanks to all
Old 04-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have had 5 different campers and every awnng has aways gotten wet when rolled up in the stored position. Even the one I have know has awning cover and still get wet. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #14

Awning takes in water

My awning does the same thing. I can put it away bone dry, and when it rains, it full of water. The only place I can see where it could get in is at the ends.
I saw this at RVupgrades.com: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Pa...-p/25-9151.htm
I have not bought one, but thinking about it. I'm tired of cleaning the underside of the awning!
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,500 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145 wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I have had 5 different campers and every awnng has aways gotten wet when rolled up in the stored position. Even the one I have know has awning cover and still get wet. Later RJD
10 different campers for us and the only one that didn't suck water in when rolled up was our PUP with the awning in a bag! We're pretty well covered during storage now (and our current awnings have metal covers) but when not under roof, I just store the rig with the front end a little high and most of it runs out the back end of the awning.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #16

Led lights

I have the same led lights that stopped working , I thought it was the lights put it turned out I have no power past the plug at the top of the rail into the awning roller, I think there must be a rotating mechanism inside the end cap to supply power to the light strip. If someone knows if the end cap can be removed safely ,The steps to do so would be helpful.
Mark G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	191692  
Old 11-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #17

I pulled the old strip out but have not replaced the led strip yet. I checked power at the pug but did not check past it. I wanted multi-color or dimmable lights anyway.
The only way I have found to remove the end cap is to drill out the rivets. To do that you have to be prepared to deal with the tension spring on the end side.

Tags
awning, dometic, led, water