Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #1

Dometic 9100 power awning replacing Led lights

TT is a 2015 surveyor 32bhds. The awning led lights stopped working.
The led strip is in the awning roller not on the trailer. I have power at the connection in the awning arm closest to the roller. I mistakenly thought this would be a simple repair of pulling the led light strip out and put in a new one. Problem is the led light strip is in a channel in the roller, and does not just pull out easily. It looks like I will have to drill out the rivets to remove one end cap and then slide the strip out. I looked up instructions for removing the roller basically the first few steps in replacing the awning fabric, but this seems like a big undertaking to replace a light strip. Any suggestions on changing light strip?

R Rushing
RnRushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

Well looks like several members have read my post and as I was afraid of no responses. Which was somewhat expected since I could not find any instructions doing searches. Most post refer to led strips mounted on the wall or reference the Carefree brand which has the lights on the roller but held with adhesive instead of being in a "c" channel. If there is something I can clarify please ask.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #3

We recently replaced the LED light strip on our Forester; however, it was located on the wall in a channel. I was able to pull it out fairly easily, but reinstalling was a little more of a challenge.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Have you checked both ends of the tube? There's usually an open channel on one end.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #5

Yep both ends of the cap blocks the end of the channel to keep everything in place.

We have one more trip planned then will probably winterize. If I have to take the end cap and possible the tension spring this will wait to spring prep time. Luckily we still have old awning lights and dw has a little one bulb chandelier we hang from the track when clamping.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #6

can you take a couple of pictures to show any detail of your problem? apparently you have a unique problem...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

I can tell you this . See if there is a YouTube video of replacing the awning . My lights are on my RV . YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL. My friend and I changed the awning on his RV and with the spring pressure almost took this finger off. With the YouTube video it will show you how to remove it safely . That way you can replace your light.
joel ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #8

Thanks, yes there is a tension spring inside the roller that can be dangerous. I downloaded Dometic instruction sheet thinking it would have instructions on the light, but no such luck. It does have instructions for replacing the awning and the tension spring so it has instructions on how to release tension safely. That is probably what I will have to do but will have to wait.

It is dark when I get home now so will try to get some pics this weekend
Old 05-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

One solution

I had the same dilemma as the original poster: how to remove the plastic C channel without having to take off the mounting hardware. I came across an eBay seller selling the replacement C track that supports the LED strand, and he maintained that it wasn’t necessary to remove the mounting hardware and slide the track out the end - if the fabric cord was white. After playing with it for a while, here’s what I came up with. My objective was to replace the awning fabric, so I started by cutting the fabric about an inch from the cord. I began on the right side and pushed the plastic track upwards, forcing the plastic track to turn in the metal channel on a horizontal axis. A portion of the right side popped out, then I just worked leftward spinning the plastic channel upwards until the entire plastic insert was out. It makes sense that you could insert the track by reversing the procedure, but I will never know because I will not be using that plastic track to support my LED strand going forward.
Mlgriffin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #10

Rn Rushin, Any updates on your Repair???

RnRushin, did you ever figure this out? I am going to try and tackle mine this weekend. I've watched many videos on how to safely remove the end cap off the tension side of the roller. My question is, can I remove the end cap with the arms fully extended (awning all the way out). The videos show that the cap is removed with the awning 1 to 2 feet out from the wall. Obviously I need to get to the LED light strip which would be under all the fabric. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sthomas211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #11

Position of arms during process

I just replaced the awning on my Dometic 9100. I am just a rookie, but I would strongly recommend that you don’t extend the arms out and pull the roller from that position. I don’t doubt that it is possible, but with the strength of those springs it is an invitation to trouble - and I can’t think of an upside. Better to follow the video directions: extend the awning a foot or so away from the RV, lock the spring on the left side (I inserted an old Allen wrench after getting the two holes to line up horizontally), zip tie the arms to the side of the RV, I cut the awning fabric, remove the bolt from each side that hold the roller end caps, then pull the whole roller assembly up and out. At that point you can replace the motor which is on the right side. I used 3/16 rivets to replace the three I had to drill out to remove the motor.
Mlgriffin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #12

LED Awning lights replaced - Was actually quite simple

Just FYI to anyone who is still struggling with changing out their LED's - I replaced mine in under an hour and it's a pretty simple job.

1st - I did not use the very overpriced factory light strip. I purchased a set of 12v LED lights for around $12 from Amazon. The lights have very good reviews and seeing the final installed results, I'm very happy. Here's a link to the ones I used. FYI, I have a 21' power awning (Dometic 9100). The factory lights were 16.4' . If you have an awning under 16' just simply cut the LED strip down at the correct cut locations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To remove the lights I simply rolled the awning out from the trailer about one foot. I zip tied the awning arms about midway down so they wouldn't spring out once the roller tube was removed.

Next I used a scratch awl to pin the tension spring on the left side. There's plenty of videos on how to do this. I know you're not replacing your fabric, but here's a good video that shows at least how to pin and remove the tension spring.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0&&FORM=VDRVRV

After the tension spring was pinned, have two people, one on each end with ladders. Simply unbolt the 7/16 bolt from the top of each arm which holds the roller to the arm. Left up and walk the roller to the ground while unrolling together. I did not remove the awning from the trailer. Just simply unroll it and walk it to the ground.

I propped each end of the roller on the ladder rungs about waste high off the ground. Using a vice grips, clamp the bracket which you just pulled out of the arm (the part which the 7/16 bolt threads through). As you pull out the scratch awl the vice grips will want to go towards the trailer in a counter clockwise direction. There was much less pressure from what I was expecting and I could have easily done it with one hand. Remember to have your partner hold the roll tube so it doesn't try to turn under pressure. (There really isn't much. I could have unwound the last three winds with a finger.

Once you back off all the pressure (should be 7 turns on a 9100 power awning) you're set to drill out the three rivets on the end cap. Pull the spring out as much as you need to cut the wires and splice in your new lights. You'll notice that your factory lights will not be adhesived in the channel. They'll slide right out.

Splice the new lights wires to your power and reassemble. Once you put the new 3/16s pop rivets in, rewind the spring 7 turns clockwise and repin it with your scratch awl or whatever else you choose to use. Roll the awning back up to the top of the arms, reattach the two 7/16s bolts on each arm, cut your zip ties and walla!

I wish I would have recorded the process as there are literally no videos online demonstrating this. If you have any questions send me a message. I'd love to help out.
Sthomas211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, led, light, power