Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

Dometic Awning Drive Motor Replacement

I have just recently had to replace the drive motor in my Dometic power awning. It failed primarily because of water intrusion. I ordered the replacement motor after consulting with Dometic to get the current part number. It is quite expensive if you order it from them so I searched the web to find the best price. Found one for $219. Before I installed the new motor, I sealed up all the seams and areas where water might enter the motor. I used Goop sealant to do this. I also tilt my awning so that water drains away from the drive motor end. Attached are the instructions for how to replace the drive motor
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic 9100 awning installation instructions.pdf (2.06 MB, 4251 views)
Travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:34 PM   #2

My motor quit, Dometic 9100. I cleaned it up and it started working again, corrosion and rust. From now on when I tilt one side of my awning due to rain, I will tilt it down on the opposite side of the motor.
humblegoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

I used my awning this weekend and had a strong electrical smell after opening it. humblegoe did you take the whole motor apart and clean the brushes etc? How do you tilt the awning? Psychically shorten one arm and tighten the clamp?
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
Psychically

LOL spell check fail. physically
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #5

I used a ladder to work on mine. It was already Retracted when it failed so I manually brought it back out about a foot to work on it. It has rivet pins three that have to be drilled out. There is a procedure that you can download and then printout that will help. Dometic Replacement Instructions RH Drive Assembly. If you try and remove the motor with it extended then the spring in there is going to be wound up tight and unless you pin it on the opposite side of the motor, (left side) then when you remove the motor it's going to rapidly unwind the spring and be a very dangerous situation for you. The motor will probably have a plastic wrapping around it and underneath the plastic will probably be rust and corrosion. there will be two or three allen screws on the end of the motor that you will remove and gain access to the internals. Try and clean it all up with carb spray cleaner to break it free and remove corrosion. I was able to break mine free and clean it all up, back in good working order. When it's raining and you tilt the awning to one side so that the rain will run off, in the future be sure to tilt the side of the awning that doesn't have the motor. Prevents rainwater from collecting in motor area. Attachment show address for procedure at bottom of attachment photo. Good luck...Larry E Gosnell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img267.jpg
Views:	2557
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	203196  
humblegoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. That is worth a try since I can't find a replacement motor.
Egalyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, replacement