Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2024, 07:41 PM   #1

Dometic Awning will not retract

Went to retract awning motor spins but awning will not come in.
I tried to manually retract with drill and just spins. We’re at Ramblers Rest in Venice, Fla. We’re supposed to check out tomorrow morning not looking good. Does anyone know of a Mobil Rv tech in area? I left messages with Ronin and Patriot. Thanks
tim413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim413 View Post
I tried to manually retract with drill and just spins. Were at Ramblers Rest in Venice, Fla. Were supposed to check out tomorrow morning not looking good. Does anyone know of a Mobil Rv tech in area? I left messages with Ronin and Patriot. Thanks
Sounds like gears aren't meshing (maybe stripped). Have you tried rolling it up manually ? Might need to stand on a picnic table and then be creative to tie it up so it withstands travel.

Good luck....

2022 FR3 34DS
2021 FR Wildwood Lodge 42FK
2017 Thor Chateau 24B
ForestGump34DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:29 PM   #3

Going to give that a try in the a.m .Thanks
Old 02-25-2024, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim413 View Post
I tried to manually retract with drill and just spins. Were at Ramblers Rest in Venice, Fla. Were supposed to check out tomorrow morning not looking good. Does anyone know of a Mobil Rv tech in area? I left messages with Ronin and Patriot. Thanks

What model awning is it (white label on the aluminum roller). That would help us suggest some solutions.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:48 PM   #5

This google search return will be helpful. Lots to let you know what you're dealing with.
https://www.google.com/search?q=repl...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It sounds as if you are out of time, but Google should find a mobile RV repair near you.

Meanwhile, the most likely outcome here will be to manually (using your hands) roll up the awning, secure it for travel using bungees and duct tape (and maybe rope), and repair it at home...or get a mobile RV repair to do the work in your driveway.

One thing you can do with bungees is to open the rig's door, run a bungee around the awning drum and then close the door on the bungee ends. At the rear, you can run a rope up and over the roof to the frame on the far side, or around a convenient sturdy fixed point on the roof, and then use a bungee to the rope around the awning drum at the rear.

Set your TV passenger mirror to help monitor the awning and drive slowly.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:06 PM   #6

2 stepladders 3 people and 20 minutes later had it rolled up and zipped tied . Drove down to Bahai honda and are all set up. I’ve been trying to get in here for years and plan B was to take truck and sleep in clam tent. I’ll order motor assembly(domestic 9200) and take a shot at it when I get home I April. Thank you to everyone that reached out, Gary’s RV was going to stop ou this morning if I needed him.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:38 PM   #7

Great community here and Ramblers Rest…
Old 02-25-2024, 09:25 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

The Dometic 9200 apparently has a history of the drive gear coming loose from the drive shaft. My 5 year old unit is still working, but it's always in the back of my mind. Lots of threads about it on this site.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:52 PM   #9

The drive shaft is steel and the end is splined. That end is pressed into a plastic gear. With continued use and excessive force applied when retracting the awning, the splines will wear the plastic gear and nothing is left but the shaft will spin.

I saw a message recently where the owner disassembled the unit, added a metal facing to the gear, and pinned the shaft to the facing. Beautiful machine work.

Perhaps a new shaft and gear will be required. Just a PITA to disassemble, replace, and reassemble.

From an earlier post: "We are going on our 2nd Dometic awning motor. The plastic gear on the metal drive shaft was stripped on the 1st one less than 6 months after the purchase of our new 2022 Montana. The motor runs but doesn't move the awning in or out. The 2nd motor lasted almost 1 year & we're working on getting a replacement. Why on earth would a plastic gear be used with the metal shaft? It's just not holding up."

The link to that beautiful machine job is here. See message #20.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=87405

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:02 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
The drive shaft is steel and the end is splined. That end is pressed into a plastic gear. With continued use and excessive force applied when retracting the awning, the splines will wear the plastic gear and nothing is left but the shaft will spin.

I saw a message recently where the owner disassembled the unit, added a metal facing to the gear, and pinned the shaft to the facing. Beautiful machine work.

Perhaps a new shaft and gear will be required. Just a PITA to disassemble, replace, and reassemble.

From an earlier post: "We are going on our 2nd Dometic awning motor. The plastic gear on the metal drive shaft was stripped on the 1st one less than 6 months after the purchase of our new 2022 Montana. The motor runs but doesn't move the awning in or out. The 2nd motor lasted almost 1 year & we're working on getting a replacement. Why on earth would a plastic gear be used with the metal shaft? It's just not holding up."

The link to that beautiful machine job is here. See message #20.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=87405

Bob
That's the thread Bob. A new motor is over 300 bucks, then you end up having same problem again possibly. I'd try that plate fix before forking over another 300+ bucks for a motor gear that might fail again.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:11 AM   #11

Late to this thread, but if the awning fails in the out position when the Dometic 9200 motor fails the solution to getting your awning in is as follows;

1 - Loosen both the brace nuts just as you would when normally putting the awning in
2- Push the bottom of awning arm down to the camper where it would normally be in the stored position, and then push the top of the awning arm and awning roller in towards the camper. (Ideally this is done with 2 people at the same time but can be done by one person)
3 - Secure the awning arms to the camper, I use either zip ties that are slid behind where the awning mounts to the camper and then over the awning arm, or Velcro straps.
4 - Stand on a picnic table or ladder and hand roll the awning back up (again 2 people make it easier, but it can be done with 1)
5 - Make sure the zip ties or Velcro straps are secure before driving.
csgfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #12

Post #93

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-212167-5.html

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:02 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgfingers View Post
Late to this thread, but if the awning fails in the out position when the Dometic 9200 motor fails the solution to getting your awning in is as follows;

1 - Loosen both the brace nuts just as you would when normally putting the awning in
2- Push the bottom of awning arm down to the camper where it would normally be in the stored position, and then push the top of the awning arm and awning roller in towards the camper. (Ideally this is done with 2 people at the same time but can be done by one person)
3 - Secure the awning arms to the camper, I use either zip ties that are slid behind where the awning mounts to the camper and then over the awning arm, or Velcro straps.
4 - Stand on a picnic table or ladder and hand roll the awning back up (again 2 people make it easier, but it can be done with 1)
5 - Make sure the zip ties or Velcro straps are secure before driving.
Good info.

Tags
awning, dometic