Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Agua Dulce, CA
Posts: 18
Door locks question

The two locks on my Forester 2251 are keyed differently. That is, the deadbolt is a different key from the regular latch. Does anyone know why Forest River would do that? My previous RV, a travel trailer, had both locks keyed to the same key. I don't see any advantage to keying them differently. Any insight?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210301_083950(2).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	248624  
v908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,505
Forest river doesn't make the locks. Trimark is probably the maker.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Agua Dulce, CA
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Forest river doesn't make the locks. Trimark is probably the maker.
I didn't mean to suggest that Forest River made the locks, I was just wondering why they were keyed differently. I recently heard that the reason is that the deadbolt is somewhat unique to the vehicle, but the "regular" paddle locks are all keyed the same so that the dealership doesn't have to have keys to every coach on the lot... Kind of like the CH751 cargo locks, I suppose.
v908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 9,582
On our tt and again on our mh, I was told that they use the deadbolt for shipping. Perhaps they have a master key for one of the locks and an individual key for the rig. Like an individual car key.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
On our tt and again on our mh, I was told that they use the deadbolt for shipping. Perhaps they have a master key for one of the locks and an individual key for the rig. Like an individual car key.


My two locks are keyed differently as well. I was provided 2 keys for the main entry lock but apparently no key for the deadbolt. Have others been issued two separate keys (different cuts), which are functional in both locks?
Northwoods Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 114
Trimark sells the two different key system for convenience and security.

TriMark, just like Global Link, sells Master Keyed lock systems to the RV manufacturers including Forest River to provide the manufacturers, dealers, fleet owners, and service technician’s convenience and accessibility to every RV with as few keys as possible.

TriMark’s “Master” door lock system, and I quote, offers the RV owner the benefit of the dealer being able “… to service the lock cylinder in the event of lost keys or lock cylinder failure.” “This system also allows for certain products or locks such as a deadbolt lock to be keyed different for an added level of security or restricted access. Master keyed versions are also available, providing dealers, fleet owners, and service technician’s convenience and accessibility.” (https://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/media...-0105_Rev2.pdf)

If you want a key that will open your paddle lock and most likely every other TriMark paddle lock, get yourself a set of TriMark Master keys off of eBay and use the one of 7-keys with the corresponding letter keys (1P, 1R, 1M, 3M, 1N, 2P, 1L) stamped on the cylinder.

For fun, you could start locking everyone’s TriMark lock in the campground while you are out for a walk.

If you want to secure your RV while you are away from it, you have to lock the non-stamped lock/deadbolt to prevent access via a Master key.

No idea how to rekey and remove the Master key out of your system.

By the way, TriMark sells a “Universal Baggage Compartment” key system also. This is a covenient way of saying the RV next to yours with a TriMark baggage compartment key has the same key as yours.

Happy Camping.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Agua Dulce, CA
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Bob View Post
My two locks are keyed differently as well. I was provided 2 keys for the main entry lock but apparently no key for the deadbolt. Have others been issued two separate keys (different cuts), which are functional in both locks?
Yes, with both my current RV and my previous TT I was issued two sets of keys, each with two keys (one for the deadbolt and one for the 'regular' lock).
v908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
dat
Junior Member
 
dat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: East Texas
Posts: 19
Ours is keyed the same, one key fits door handle, deadbolt, and outside compartments
__________________
Rockwood 2614 BS

Sent by string and cans
dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,512
After years of messing with RV door lock keys I "modernized".

I installed an RV Lock keyless entry lock. Still have a key should the batteries go dead but the rest of the time I can use an push button fob or just key in a 4-digit code.

Also don't have to worry about whether or not anyone else has a key because the factory keyed locks all the same or whether I lost the key while beach-combing or hiking.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
After years of messing with RV door lock keys I "modernized".

I installed an RV Lock keyless entry lock. Still have a key should the batteries go dead but the rest of the time I can use an push button fob or just key in a 4-digit code.

Also don't have to worry about whether or not anyone else has a key because the factory keyed locks all the same or whether I lost the key while beach-combing or hiking.
I believe RVLock uses the Bauer lock cylinders by AP Products. I also believe the RVLock uses a Master Keyed cylinder in the lock that the touchpad/wireless fob/key operate. This allows the manufacturer, haulers, dealers, and repair shops to open every trailer with only 19-Master keys.

This can be identified by an “M” stamped on the face of the cylinder. This means the only way to prevent a Master key from being used to enter your trailer is by you manually locking the deadbolt cylinder with the key. A Bauer/AP Products Master key can be purchased on eBay for $22.95 by anyone.

My Global Link Ultra Keyless lock had the same problem, which is why I ordered my lock without “M” stamped cylinders. Using a key for the deadbolt defeated the whole idea of the keyless entry.

The only problem is when you drop your trailer at a repair shop, you have to remember to leave them a key. They have never asked me for a key. You can figure out why on your own. When I offer my keys to a repair shop, they always chuckle and refuse until I explain there are no Master keyed locks on my trailer.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:31 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
I believe RVLock uses the Bauer lock cylinders by AP Products. I also believe the RVLock uses a Master Keyed cylinder in the lock that the touchpad/wireless fob/key operate. This allows the manufacturer, haulers, dealers, and repair shops to open every trailer with only 19-Master keys.

This can be identified by an “M” stamped on the face of the cylinder. This means the only way to prevent a Master key from being used to enter your trailer is by you manually locking the deadbolt cylinder with the key. A Bauer/AP Products Master key can be purchased on eBay for $22.95 by anyone.

My Global Link Ultra Keyless lock had the same problem, which is why I ordered my lock without “M” stamped cylinders. Using a key for the deadbolt defeated the whole idea of the keyless entry.

The only problem is when you drop your trailer at a repair shop, you have to remember to leave them a key. They have never asked me for a key. You can figure out why on your own. When I offer my keys to a repair shop, they always chuckle and refuse until I explain there are no Master keyed locks on my trailer.
I just checked my RV Lock and yes, the cylinder that locks the "paddle" is stamped with an "M".

Since I never lock the paddle but rather always lock the Deadbolt, and can also lock the deadbolt with my "fob" my TT to a dealer I'd merely program in a temporary code, giving the dealer the number, and when I got trailer back I'd immediately reprogram the keypad with a new code.

NO Master keys will work this way.

As far as locking only the "paddle", not much security as a determined thief can merely "brute force" the paddle and open the door. A deadbolt takes a lot more work.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I just checked my RV Lock and yes, the cylinder that locks the "paddle" is stamped with an "M".

Since I never lock the paddle but rather always lock the Deadbolt, and can also lock the deadbolt with my "fob" my TT to a dealer I'd merely program in a temporary code, giving the dealer the number, and when I got trailer back I'd immediately reprogram the keypad with a new code.

NO Master keys will work this way.

As far as locking only the "paddle", not much security as a determined thief can merely "brute force" the paddle and open the door. A deadbolt takes a lot more work.
The fob operates both the paddle and the deadbolt cylinders? Independently?

That is very interesting.

Does the keypad operate the paddle and deadbolt locks independently?
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
The fob operates both the paddle and the deadbolt cylinders? Independently?



That is very interesting.



Does the keypad operate the paddle and deadbolt locks independently?
No, the fob only controls the deadbolt.

If the deadbolt is set nobody is opening the door with a master key. Only with key matching deadbolt cylinder, properly coded fob, or keypad code. Only paddle lock cylinder is master keyed.

I never lock the paddle. Why bother with master keys all over the place for these locks?
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #14
Retired Panpsychist
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
{snip}...I'd merely program in a temporary code, giving the dealer the number, and when I got trailer back I'd immediately reprogram the keypad with a new code...{snip}
Brilliant! A good case for the RV Lock!

Let's see...perhaps I'd use a temporary code of "751".
__________________
Theo & Carol

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door, lock

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.