Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #1

Door Pops Open When Locked

I have a new 2015 Sandpiper 371rebh. I have put it up for winter and have noticed every couple of days the door is popped open. I have the grab handle over it so it doesnt open all of the way. The dead bold and top lock are both locked at all times. They only think i can think of is the frame is moving (wind or temp related) and keeps letting the door open. Any thoughts?
spedkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Mine will do the samething. To me it looks like a slight bow in it. Also at the edge about half way down from the handle I developed a 12x12 shallow dent like it collapsed in that area or sucked in. I have had that problem since day one but the dent just showed up before the rally. I should have had them replace it then. I can notice it but the average person no just looking at it. I have moved my plate as far out as possible but I will lock the door and dead bolt and when I arrive somewhere the only thing holding the door closed is my grab bar 1/2 the time.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #3

Well popped open again. Look a bit closer at the door. The issue is the fact that there is about a 3/8" gap between the inner door facing and the striker/lock plate. Not sure how you would fix this minus shimming the striker plate out away from the rv door frame
spedkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

I had a Kodiak TT that they had to replace both entry doors/frames due to various issues one off which was it popping open and having to use the dead bolt all the time. You probably have screen door sealing issues also.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedkid94 View Post
Well popped open again. Look a bit closer at the door. The issue is the fact that there is about a 3/8" gap between the inner door facing and the striker/lock plate. Not sure how you would fix this minus shimming the striker plate out away from the rv door frame
Shim the hinges to move the whole door closer to the latch.

Tags
door