Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

Doors bind when I use jacks to level 23 DBH

MY 23 DBH has a front door and a back door at the bathroom. When I level the trailer with the jacks the doors bind even more. Any suggestions? (sorry for the sideways photos) They weren't sideways when I attached them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	246329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2261.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	246330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	246331  
Mike Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
Retired Army MSG!

The jacks in your pic are not suitable for leveling. They are stabilizer jacks only. Most of us carry leveling blocks that allow you to pull your tires up on for leveling unless you have a rig that has the self leveling system on it. More than likely the reason your doors are binding is due to the pressure you are putting on the frame by trying to level with your current set up. If the doors don't bind otherwise, that would be my best diagnosis.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Like mentioned your stabilizer scissor jacks are not put in place for leveling, just to brace your RV after leveling with say blocks under the tires. No intent to criticize as some owners use them wrong coast to coast. Read up on the subject on most any RV forum if in doubt of our position in response.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
The jacks in your pic are not suitable for leveling. They are stabilizer jacks only. Most of us carry leveling blocks that allow you to pull your tires up on for leveling unless you have a rig that has the self leveling system on it. More than likely the reason your doors are binding is due to the pressure you are putting on the frame by trying to level with your current set up. If the doors don't bind otherwise, that would be my best diagnosis.
X2.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:14 PM   #5

If I'm camping where there are hook-ups and the ground is fairly level then I guess I don't really need to level the unit. I just need to crank those stabiizers a little bit until the unit stops rocking?

Thanks for those answers.
Mike Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

Everyone has a different definition of fairly level. Before I got a fiver with hydraulic Level Up ... I always carried a half dozen 2X8's about 2' long beveled at both ends for leveling ramps. (You can also use the lego leveling block sets) I used those assisted by a stick-on level attached to the side of the RV to get the side to side close, then the tongue jack to get the front to back close ... then I dropped the corner scissor jacks down with enough tension to take most of the wiggle out. I also carried a couple of sets of 4X4's nailed together to place under the scissor jacks to lessen the extension and further help sway.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #7

X2. One additional comment, be sure the trailer is level before adhering the stick one. Use a four foot level inside the door with the unit detached from the TV. First time I attached mine, it was level [emoji3525]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Everyone has a different definition of fairly level. Before I got a fiver with hydraulic Level Up ... I always carried a half dozen 2X8's about 2' long beveled at both ends for leveling ramps. (You can also use the lego leveling block sets) I used those assisted by a stick-on level attached to the side of the RV to get the side to side close, then the tongue jack to get the front to back close ... then I dropped the corner scissor jacks down with enough tension to take most of the wiggle out. I also carried a couple of sets of 4X4's nailed together to place under the scissor jacks to lessen the extension and further help sway.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sedillo View Post
If I'm camping where there are hook-ups and the ground is fairly level then I guess I don't really need to level the unit. I just need to crank those stabiizers a little bit until the unit stops rocking?

Yep, just make them snug. You'll still have some movement but it takes out a lot.

For leveling, here's how you do it:
https://learntorv.com/rv-leveling-is...uick-and-easy/
Old 01-22-2021, 09:53 PM   #9

Another idea that worked for me when using the stabilizer jacks to level. Put a hydraulic jack on the edge of the frame that contains the trailer swivel leaf spring between the two trailer tires. (Do not put the jack on any springs) Place a jack on each side of the trailer. This really takes out the trailer rock movement. This also keeps the frame getting so much pressure from the stabilizer jacks that doors bind. What you are doing with the hydraulic jacks is pushing the trailer up in the center so you can put down the stabilizer jack more so to level your trailer. It is surprising how this helps. Remember, if you are really unlevel drive up on boards to get it close to level before using hydraulic and stabilizer jacks. Done this for at least 10 years.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sedillo View Post

Yep, NEVER use stabilizing Jack's for leveling. You use blocks like Lynx Levelers or wood, under the tires for side to side. Then the tongue jack for front to back.
Hope you didn't tweak the frame permanently.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, jacks