Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #1

Entry door latch open

We just bought a 2018 8299BS and the front door doesn’t have any kind of latch to hold it in the open position. We like to leave our door open with just the screen closed, but if it’s windy at all, the door blows shut. What have you done to keep the door open? I don’t really like the little plastic arm latch and am hoping to find something better. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
mxdad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Sounds like there might be a problem with your friction hinges. If you're near an RV store, check out a few other ones to see if yours feels the same.

Mine can hold up to almost any wind. I was concerned sbout the friction hinge when the camper was new but it just works for us...no issues.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #3

If your door is capable of opening all the way this has been a staple for many years.
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Sounds like there might be a problem with your friction hinges. If you're near an RV store, check out a few other ones to see if yours feels the same.

Mine can hold up to almost any wind. I was concerned sbout the friction hinge when the camper was new but it just works for us...no issues.
There is some friction, but not enough. Just a small breeze will blow it shut. Is there a way to adjust the hinges to have more friction?
mxdad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

My door opens against awning frame. On the inside of the outside door latch were two little holes. I added a paracord loop through those. Makes it easier to grab and shut the door and I run a bungee from the loop to either the open awning frame or a long bungee to front of the TT frame (depends on your door location).
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Old Engineer

Mine uses a gas spring to hold it open.

Works well.

Look for it on "RV Parts" website.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #7

Dirt Simple Solution

The door holder shown is a great idea, but my Ultra Lite door does not open enough to make that work. My solution: a utility spring clip - the ones that look like pliers, but snap closed with a spring - with a bungee cord between that and the body of the trailer (end of bungee clipped to a bolt on the trailer underside.
The bungee cushions the door in the wind.
Gotagonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

Forest River just replaced my 8299bs door....the friction hinge became to loose and the door opened all the way against the heater exhaust and put a frisbee size dimple in the door.....they sent a latch for the door to keep it away from the exhaust.....good luck.....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door