Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvram View Post
It's a direct current motor (DC). If you hook a 12 volt battery to it, red to positive black to negative motor turns clockwise (just for comparison), then put black on positive and red on negative, motor will turn counter clockwise.
Got it , thank you so much . I will check it tomorrow . Then give results, I hope I didn't pull this out unnecessarily. If it is just the switch I'm going to kick myself . But my switch isn't a normal toggle switch I have the touchpad control panel.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
If you have a digital meter, you can hook to wires that would go to motor. Push switch one way, and it would show 12 volts, push switch other way and it would show -12 volts. At least you would know it all works also.
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
Sorry, Just reread, I see it made clicking sounds when you tried to move before, so everything on the RV should be good.
Could be a broken gear in the reduction system, not sure if you can get into that portion.
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvram View Post
Sorry, Just reread, I see it made clicking sounds when you tried to move before, so everything on the RV should be good.
Could be a broken gear in the reduction system, not sure if you can get into that portion.
Nope this motor doesn't seem to open , sealed unit. I was hoping to open it up and look at the windings. But took out every screw I seen and its solid wont pull apart
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,829
That will be a permanent magnet motor...donít be smacking on it....you can shatter the magnets.

You can ohm the windings...no telling the resistance, but you can tell if itís shorted or opened.

Might try and rotate the motor a bit....it might have a weak spot and be able to overcome it.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
That will be a permanent magnet motor...donít be smacking on it....you can shatter the magnets.

You can ohm the windings...no telling the resistance, but you can tell if itís shorted or opened.

Might try and rotate the motor a bit....it might have a weak spot and be able to overcome it.
Thanks, I didn't smack on it , but I did put it in the vice and tried to turn the the shaft with a wrench . It wont move at all ,in either direction. Simply just was froze up. I'm going to call dometic Monday to see if they can cover this for me . The RV was mfg on May 15, 2017 sold new in 2018. I am 2nd owner maybe I will get lucky.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,829
I would be tempted to oil well with some penetrant...or just buy one if they wonít help. Looks like you can buy a new pull off on eBay for $150 or less.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I would be tempted to oil well with some penetrant...or just buy one if they wonít help. Looks like you can buy a new pull off on eBay for $150 or less.
Thanks , the funny thing when I pulled ot out of the housing it had alot of oil on it . No corrosion looked good. The motor on Ebay is used for 150.00. But I'm undecided on new or used
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,829
Dometic awning stuck,help

Some dude/s have ďfreight damagedĒ pull offs for 130-150ish.

I would message and ask about return if unsatisfied.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 28
Awning stuck too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
Thanks, I didn't smack on it , but I did put it in the vice and tried to turn the the shaft with a wrench . It wont move at all ,in either direction. Simply just was froze up. I'm going to call dometic Monday to see if they can cover this for me . The RV was mfg on May 15, 2017 sold new in 2018. I am 2nd owner maybe I will get lucky.
Hi! Any news from Dometic as to how to release the awning manually? Were stuck with the same problem too so, were following you post!
__________________
Grangalo
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W Diamond package.
grangalo1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo1812 View Post
Hi! Any news from Dometic as to how to release the awning manually? Were stuck with the same problem too so, were following you post!
If your awning is a 9100 ,there are 2 Allen head screws at the top by the motor. One of them will be right on top when the awning is closed the other will be facing in toward the camper . You need to remove both screws . There is also a rivet ,, leave the rivet for now .
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
I did test it yesterday. Its locked up. I hooked up 2 wires to a 12 volt battery put positive to red wire on motor , and negative to black wire on motor it just clicked didn't move , then switched the wires negative to red , positive to black it just clicked didn't move .
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
JPin AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 298
Following. Apparently these motors fail often after getting wet.
__________________
John
2003 1500 Avalanche 384,000 miles
2011 Rockwood ROO 23SS
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
Following. Apparently these motors fail often after getting wet.
It was raining lot the week it stopped
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
Following. Apparently these motors fail often after getting wet.


Hmmmm. Awning....outside....it rains sometimes....hnmmm. One would think there might be protection for water intrusion... nahhh. Not needed.
It ainít like the motor is $41 and fifteen minutes to change.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Hmmmm. Awning....outside....it rains sometimes....hnmmm. One would think there might be protection for water intrusion... nahhh. Not needed.
It ainít like the motor is $41 and fifteen minutes to change.
When I took off my motor , it didn't have any water intrusion. It looked new still had factory oil on it . It's been in the rain several times since we had it. I really dont think rain has anything to do with it getting stuck, or locked up.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 61
How difficult was it to get the motor out? Is it under spring tension?
My awning is extended and wont move , just clicks... it would be nice to pull the motor while it is extended and replace..

Am I thinking correctly that I will need to retract the awning to remove the motor as when you take out the Allen screws the awning will start to wind up on its own?
jsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Indy500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalty View Post
How difficult was it to get the motor out? Is it under spring tension?
My awning is extended and wont move , just clicks... it would be nice to pull the motor while it is extended and replace..

Am I thinking correctly that I will need to retract the awning to remove the motor as when you take out the Allen screws the awning will start to wind up on its own?
Yes after yo remove the Allen screws it will move freely, but it will take 2 people to roll it up in the closed position. The motor should come out easy , no spring on motor end.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
Yes after yo remove the Allen screws it will move freely, but it will take 2 people to roll it up in the closed position. The motor should come out easy , no spring on motor end.
Thank you...
Rain is setting in around here for the next 5 days so I will attack after.. on the bright side, it will give me time to get a motor.

Anyone find a reasonable place to source them from?
jsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
When I took off my motor , it didn't have any water intrusion. It looked new still had factory oil on it . It's been in the rain several times since we had it. I really dont think rain has anything to do with it getting stuck, or locked up.
Not speaking of you particularly... just that the water intrusion is an issue on something that literally is "out in the rain" its whole life...unless you cover it.

Being sarcastic with the other post and the fact that they are so expensive
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dometic, replacement, awning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.