Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvram View Post
It's a direct current motor (DC). If you hook a 12 volt battery to it, red to positive black to negative motor turns clockwise (just for comparison), then put black on positive and red on negative, motor will turn counter clockwise.
Got it , thank you so much . I will check it tomorrow . Then give results, I hope I didn't pull this out unnecessarily. If it is just the switch I'm going to kick myself . But my switch isn't a normal toggle switch I have the touchpad control panel.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #22

If you have a digital meter, you can hook to wires that would go to motor. Push switch one way, and it would show 12 volts, push switch other way and it would show -12 volts. At least you would know it all works also.
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #23

Sorry, Just reread, I see it made clicking sounds when you tried to move before, so everything on the RV should be good.
Could be a broken gear in the reduction system, not sure if you can get into that portion.
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvram View Post
Sorry, Just reread, I see it made clicking sounds when you tried to move before, so everything on the RV should be good.
Could be a broken gear in the reduction system, not sure if you can get into that portion.
Nope this motor doesn't seem to open , sealed unit. I was hoping to open it up and look at the windings. But took out every screw I seen and its solid wont pull apart
Old 06-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #25

That will be a permanent magnet motor...don’t be smacking on it....you can shatter the magnets.

You can ohm the windings...no telling the resistance, but you can tell if it’s shorted or opened.

Might try and rotate the motor a bit....it might have a weak spot and be able to overcome it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
That will be a permanent magnet motor...don’t be smacking on it....you can shatter the magnets.

You can ohm the windings...no telling the resistance, but you can tell if it’s shorted or opened.

Might try and rotate the motor a bit....it might have a weak spot and be able to overcome it.
Thanks, I didn't smack on it , but I did put it in the vice and tried to turn the the shaft with a wrench . It wont move at all ,in either direction. Simply just was froze up. I'm going to call dometic Monday to see if they can cover this for me . The RV was mfg on May 15, 2017 sold new in 2018. I am 2nd owner maybe I will get lucky.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #27

I would be tempted to oil well with some penetrant...or just buy one if they won’t help. Looks like you can buy a new pull off on eBay for $150 or less.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #28

Quote:
I would be tempted to oil well with some penetrant...or just buy one if they won’t help. Looks like you can buy a new pull off on eBay for $150 or less.
Thanks , the funny thing when I pulled ot out of the housing it had alot of oil on it . No corrosion looked good. The motor on Ebay is used for 150.00. But I'm undecided on new or used
Old 06-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #29

Dometic awning stuck,help

Some dude/s have “freight damaged” pull offs for 130-150ish.

I would message and ask about return if unsatisfied.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #30

Awning stuck too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
Thanks, I didn't smack on it , but I did put it in the vice and tried to turn the the shaft with a wrench . It wont move at all ,in either direction. Simply just was froze up. I'm going to call dometic Monday to see if they can cover this for me . The RV was mfg on May 15, 2017 sold new in 2018. I am 2nd owner maybe I will get lucky.
Hi! Any news from Dometic as to how to release the awning manually? Were stuck with the same problem too so, were following you post!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo1812 View Post
Hi! Any news from Dometic as to how to release the awning manually? Were stuck with the same problem too so, were following you post!
If your awning is a 9100 ,there are 2 Allen head screws at the top by the motor. One of them will be right on top when the awning is closed the other will be facing in toward the camper . You need to remove both screws . There is also a rivet ,, leave the rivet for now .
Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #32

I did test it yesterday. Its locked up. I hooked up 2 wires to a 12 volt battery put positive to red wire on motor , and negative to black wire on motor it just clicked didn't move , then switched the wires negative to red , positive to black it just clicked didn't move .
Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #33

Following. Apparently these motors fail often after getting wet.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
It was raining lot the week it stopped
Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post

Hmmmm. Awning....outside....it rains sometimes....hnmmm. One would think there might be protection for water intrusion... nahhh. Not needed.
It ain’t like the motor is $41 and fifteen minutes to change.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Hmmmm. Awning....outside....it rains sometimes....hnmmm. One would think there might be protection for water intrusion... nahhh. Not needed.
It ain’t like the motor is $41 and fifteen minutes to change.
When I took off my motor , it didn't have any water intrusion. It looked new still had factory oil on it . It's been in the rain several times since we had it. I really dont think rain has anything to do with it getting stuck, or locked up.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #37

How difficult was it to get the motor out? Is it under spring tension?
My awning is extended and wont move , just clicks... it would be nice to pull the motor while it is extended and replace..

Am I thinking correctly that I will need to retract the awning to remove the motor as when you take out the Allen screws the awning will start to wind up on its own?
jsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalty View Post
How difficult was it to get the motor out? Is it under spring tension?
My awning is extended and wont move , just clicks... it would be nice to pull the motor while it is extended and replace..

Am I thinking correctly that I will need to retract the awning to remove the motor as when you take out the Allen screws the awning will start to wind up on its own?
Yes after yo remove the Allen screws it will move freely, but it will take 2 people to roll it up in the closed position. The motor should come out easy , no spring on motor end.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Yes after yo remove the Allen screws it will move freely, but it will take 2 people to roll it up in the closed position. The motor should come out easy , no spring on motor end.
Thank you...
Rain is setting in around here for the next 5 days so I will attack after.. on the bright side, it will give me time to get a motor.

Anyone find a reasonable place to source them from?
jsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #40

Quote:
When I took off my motor , it didn't have any water intrusion. It looked new still had factory oil on it . It's been in the rain several times since we had it. I really dont think rain has anything to do with it getting stuck, or locked up.
Not speaking of you particularly... just that the water intrusion is an issue on something that literally is "out in the rain" its whole life...unless you cover it.

Being sarcastic with the other post and the fact that they are so expensive

Tags
dometic, replacement, awning