Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #1

Grey Wolf 18RR- Glass entry door camber

Has anyone had any experience adjusting the camber on the tempered glass entry doors? I pickup up a new Grey Wolf 18RR last month, and the door has to be slammed pretty hard to latch shut. I replaced the factory lock with an RVLock electronic lock, and it hits exactly the same as the factory. There are no friction spots between the door latch and the striker, everything slides smoothly, so from what I can tell the door just has too much positive camber on it, it's visibly notable without a straight edge. I'm really hesitant to adjust given the glass panel in the door. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
BMcCune00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I’m not sure exactly what door camber is but…….

Somewhere in the forums here recently, someone with an all glass factory door said they experienced cracking and breaking, and reported that Forest River (their words not mine) said they don’t warranty glass issues.

That said…….be careful if you’re flexing your door. Be very careful.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:44 PM   #3

The doors on most campers are slightly bowed away from the frame at the center of the door, nearest the handle. That's what they refer to as camber. The reason for the outward bow is that it increases closing pressure on the door as the top and bottom of the door hit the frame first when closing. In theory it creates a tighter, more wind and water proof seal at the door, and help keep it closed in the event of high winds during travel. Lippert actually makes a specific tool to adjust this, but on a normal door it's pretty easy to adjust just using a piece of 2x4 wood.

Good to know they don't stand behind their glass products...I'll be proceeding with extreme caution if at all haha.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

I found it…..read this

Found this is the Cherokee forum about glass doors

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...or-259138.html

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #5

Keep in mind an RV is not a solid object and lifting corners or even having axles on uneven ground, or even bound from backing around a corner into a spot can cause the body to flex and the door to bind.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:52 PM   #6

Absolutely true, but the door isn't binding at all, it's functioning correctly. It's just outside of the factory camber specs and I'm wondering if anyone has made that adjustment before on the glass doors.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #7

If it's still under warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I’m not sure exactly what door camber is but…….

Somewhere in the forums here recently, someone with an all glass factory door said they experienced cracking and breaking, and reported that Forest River (their words not mine) said they don’t warranty glass issues.

That said…….be careful if you’re flexing your door. Be very careful.
If it's still under warranty, the OP should have the dealer fix it. If the glass breaks, it's his problem.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, grey wolf