Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #1

Help on Dometic 9100 motor

Just got back from month trip and awning worked fine. Going to wash it and awning won't extend. Ran through all the electrical. Motor is getting power but just clicks. Have tried helping it extend but won't move. I understand how to remove motor but I need the awning extended a few feet. Have not figured out how to extend it. Have found videos on replacing everything but not on manually extending it without the motor doing it. Thanks for any help.
Acouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

When my motor failed, it had enough gumption in it to extend the awning. Just not retract it with me rolling it by hand.

Have you tried being on a ladder and pulling the arm out while someone else mans the switch?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #3

Yep. Tied a rope to each end and had wife try to extend to no avail. Motor is in the tube and the only videos I have found is external motor and they release with drill. Nothing on my type that I can find.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #4

I remember watching a you tube video that showed loosening a set screw (Allen head) on the end of the awning arm. He had a helper to prevent the awning from flying open. I think I just search dometic 9100 awning.

I had no helper available when repairing it and was almost knocked off the ladder. I then used a clamp on the other arm to prevent it from extending. Last winter i stored my trailer nose down instead of high like i usually did. Last spring the awning had extended but wouldn't close without turning the tube by hand. I removed the motor and found corrosion on the outside of it. I disassembled the motor/gears as far as I could to clean everything and spray contact cleaner into the armature. It worked through the summer. My trailer has been nose high this year so the motor should be "dry" and I'll see if it works come spring.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #5

There are two allen screws on right side by the tube. I'll try loosening them tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks
Old 02-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #6

That worked. Removed two allen head screws and can unroll canopy by hand.��
Old 02-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
Always Learning

For my reference, are these the screws?

Old 02-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #8

Yes. My bracket is a little different but essentially the same thing. Didn't take long to pull motor once canopy was away from the 5th wheel. Was by myself so I tied each end of the canopy with rope so it wouldn't get away, pinned the spring on opposite end, removed rivets and motor pulled out easily. Motor had moisture in it. Cleaned it up and working fine. Seems like a poor design thst moisture can get in an outdoor awning. Thank you for your help.

Tags
dometic