Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #1
Another adventure awaits!

HELP PLEASE - Window latch replacement

Hello ... looking for help on uninstalling/removing broken window catch on egress window ... catches that are spring loaded and hold window open ... removed screw that holds in place, but can't figure out how to remove window pane to slide out the catches. Can't believe we have to Uninstall the entire window
Any assistance would be appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220703_130507.jpg
Views:	9002
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	275891   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220703_130511.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	275892  
Old 09-05-2022, 08:21 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Were you able to figure this out? I think I can help you if you haven't without removing the whole window.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
Were you able to figure this out? I think I can help you if you haven't without removing the whole window.
Just finally got the parts from Lippert. Haven't installed them yet. Thought of removing entire window is a bit daunting. Any words of advice would be welcome. Thank you
Old 09-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
If you remove the window, you will still not be able to remove the latch. And you can't remove just the window, you must remove the entire frame. This info came direct from Lippert talking to my mobile tech with me listening. They said you'll probably break the window trying to remove it. A new window will cost more than a $1K.

What I came up with is to grind out the rails in the center of the frame just a little longer than the latch with a Dremel tool. This allows you to slide the latch out. If you don't have one of these tool, they are quite handy.

After removing the broken latch and removing the spring, insert the spring into the new latch and slide the latch back into position.

Hold the new latch with the end of the latch engaging the notch for holding the window open, and reinsert the screw. Important to assure the spring has sufficient tension.

After you're done, touch up the area where the aluminum is exposed with a chisel tipped black permanent marker.

This is a nice fix, and if I should break another one I can easily replace it in a couple minutes. I don't know why the manufacturers can't figure this out.

This took a few hours of grinding but well worth the time.

Good luck!!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:12 PM   #5

Thank you ... knew we had to remove all, that's why we hired an RV tech to do it. I will show your text to my husband though. Thank you for taking the time.

Tags
replacement, window