Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
I tried this but deadbolt will not allow key to be turned all the way to 3 o’clock. Pushed on door with enough force to rock trailer.

Turning the deadbolt lock to 3 locks my door 6 o'clock unlocks.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #22

My advice is to, like suggested, call FR explain the situation including distance to dealer and get permission to get a mobile tech. Although I don't think just getting the door open will instill trust it will work the next time. The mobile tech should come prepared to replace the mechanism if he can't find the root cause in the present lock mechanism.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Turning the deadbolt lock to 3 locks my door 6 o'clock unlocks.
I have a Global Link manual lock on my trailer. I just went out and verified. The top lock for the handle, 12 straight up is unlocked. 3 o'clock (to the right) is locked.

The bottom lock for the deadbolt, 9 o'clock (to the left) is locked, but the key will not come out until it is returned to the 12 o'clock straight up position. 3 o'clock (to the right) locks the deadbolt and I can remove the key at 3 o'clock, or go back to 12 o'clock and remove the key.

If the key goes around to 6 o'clock on my lock, something is very broken.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #24

Cool Stuck door lock --

I get this problem on my home doors and TT doors and locks at times. Mostly its just the humidity outside. Wiggle the door handle while trying to unlock it; or lift up or down on the door handle. Sometimes that works as well. We have lots of humidity in the South. I also spray silicone or WD 40 in-between the lock handle and door facing. This happens especially if its hot inside the camper. Or it could be the level like others say. I don't really know, I just know I get that too and I assume its the humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
the way I figure it, they may not know anything about RV locks, but they have the specialized knowledge about locks in general that an RV tech probably would not have... plus any specialized tools rather then just a standard tool chest of screwdrivers and hammers...

Around here I know of at least 3 locksmith places (within 20 miles) that deal with door locks, (antique to modern), specialty padlocks, safes, and all kinds of that kind of physical security stuff. I also have a neighbor down the street that owns a mobile locksmithing business. I have been to 2 of the 3 of them finding difficult to reproduce keys over the years... key blanks that the local big box stores and hardware stores just don't stock.

That is where I would go to service a lock... a locksmith... you just have to pay them for their time to get it figured out. Drive the trailer to them... setup an appointment ahead of time. OP will probably find something that is just overlooked.
Janet Geal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
Just picked up our new geo pro 19fd and put it in storage shed for several days due to weather. Pulled it out today and could not unlock door. Tried wd 40 and both keys. Tried pushing on door. Tried turning key in all directions. Went online and got code to lock or unlock? For Global Life electronic lock. Tried code and heard lock move but would not open. I hope someone can help.

Guess it’s better to be locked out than in!

Thanks,

Brian

I know most advice suggests pushing on the door. But maybe try pulling on the door or pry it a bit so force is pulling then try the key.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #26

Lock issue

Just had the same issue on 2 of my locks on a 2021 TT, after winter, spray silicone spray, not wd40 (which is more of a dryer a provides little lubrication). Sprayed silicone in locks and keys, and both locks are now working fine. Just fyi.
Diverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #27

Help with stuck lock please!

We just took delivery on 39fkrb. We noticed trouble with the lock from the very beginning. We always got it open but it seemed a little finicky. Our first night at camp while heading home it became impossible to open, but after many tries and turning the keys in every which way it opened but we still didn’t know why.
Long story short: My wife (who has the real mechanical skill) has figured out that the top key slot is only to release the handle. If you cant pull the handle open you’re not getting in. The bottom key slot releases the dead bolt.
Don’t take this to the bank but it seems that you open the deadbolt (bottom Slot) first and then turn the top slot to the right it should release the handle. If the handle doesn’t release the top slot isn’t working. You can hear and feel the bottom deadbolt turn from keying the bottom slot. The top slot should turn to some position to allow the handle to pull away from the door and it should open if deadbolt released.
I’m going outside to try it again. Will report back. Very frustrating.
Wildgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #28

Look at a wear pattern, or make your own wear pattern detective by running a dull lead pencil onto the edge of the striker ( the part in the frame of the trailer). Run the lock in and out a number of times and look to see where the bolt into the striker might be rubbing excessively.

Maybe take a file to that part of the striker, or remove the striker plate and reposition it to minimize any rubbing that causes the lock to stick.

The lock mechanism has to line up pretty well with the striker in the frame in order for the lock to work smoothly.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:41 PM   #29

Unlock

If my coach door is not completely shut it will not unlock. I push hard until it is secured and then my key will turn and unlock.
Good luck
BerkshireBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #30

1. Order new lock online
2. get out drill and bits
3. remove junk
4. install new lock
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:10 AM   #31

Stuck Lock

A few years ago , my bottom front door lock wouldn't open. My model TT has two entry doors, but with the slides still in the in position, getting entry in the rear door does not give me access to the front section of the trailer.

I was able to unlock the front storage compartment which has the kitchen sink above it. Yes, we have a front kitchen. Moving out the trash can and all the other stuff stored in there allowed me just enough room to crawl in and through the cabinet door.

The lock opened easily from the inside but I could not find a clear reason why the lock wouldn't open from the outside. I sprayed everything down in the lock itself and where the door catch engages with a lube (can't remember which) and pay close attention to the trailer being level. So far it hasn't happened again.

All trailers are different and this may be of no use. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #32

I had a problem with our deadbolt not unlocking about our 2nd year of ownership. At the time we had Coach Net. I called them and they took care of contacting a locksmith to come to our house where the TT was parked. After he tried several ways to unlock, he finally had to drill out the cylinder. The locksmith was no charge. I ordered a new lock from RV Locks and did the replacement myself. Very easy to do.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #33

Well, what color are your unmentionables?

Not the same rig, but in our case, once upon a time, a screw had come loose and the deadbolt had locked and the key would not work. Any attempt to open the door from the outside would have damaged the door.

DH unlocked a basement cargo door, and tried to shimmy awkwardly up through one of the openings. I was pushing from below, but no go. He was getting caught up. He backed out and I told him to drop his pants and try again. I put towels under his knees to soften that hard edge and pushed again.

He made it!

Unfortunately, I was much to slow in pulling out the camera to document this story Fortunately for him, I only have one photo of his stocking feet hanging down in the cargo bay!

If that had not worked, our next idea was to have our nephew come over with one of his kids to unlock from inside after taking off an emergency exit window for the kiddo to crawl through.

Good luck! Take pictures to remember your story!
Letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote