Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Help with stuck door lock, please!!!

Just picked up our new geo pro 19fd and put it in storage shed for several days due to weather. Pulled it out today and could not unlock door. Tried wd 40 and both keys. Tried pushing on door. Tried turning key in all directions. Went online and got code to lock or unlock? For Global Life electronic lock. Tried code and heard lock move but would not open. I hope someone can help.
Guess it’s better to be locked out than in!

Thanks,
Brian
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

There should be two key slots. The top one will lock the handle itself. It has two positions, locked and unlocked. Can you pull the handle? You might also here/feel the latch disengage. If you can't pull the handle, then the top lock is locked. If you can pull the handle and you feel/hear the latch disengage then you need to push on the door to re-engage the latch. Once you are sure the top is unlocked then you move to the bottom which is the deadbolt.

The bottom key slot is three way. Turn to the left (I believe) will insert the deadbolt. Middle position is neutral. Turn to the right (I believe) to retract the deadbolt. Try turning the bottom lock all the way to the right, then back halfway to neutral and pull the handle. If the pull handle latch is disengaged, sometimes there will be quite a bit of resistance on the deadbolt when trying to retract it.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #3

I agree with the post NavyLCDR posted about the lock positions I would like to add that my TT and my cargo trailer have at times been stubborn to lock/unlock. I have found that IF either trailer are off level front/back or side/side or worse yet having opposite corners off level then the deadbolt can be difficult to move. Those scenarios seem to put the door frame into a "warp" position. I have had to lower and put pressure on two (2) of my stabilizers to help pick up a corner to get the "warp" out of the door frame. Bumping my fist on the door at the lock area has seemed to help also but not recommended due to possible dents in the door panel.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #4

Very good point about being off level!
Old 04-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
There should be two key slots. The top one will lock the handle itself. It has two positions, locked and unlocked. Can you pull the handle? You might also here/feel the latch disengage. If you can't pull the handle, then the top lock is locked. If you can pull the handle and you feel/hear the latch disengage then you need to push on the door to re-engage the latch. Once you are sure the top is unlocked then you move to the bottom which is the deadbolt.

The bottom key slot is three way. Turn to the left (I believe) will insert the deadbolt. Middle position is neutral. Turn to the right (I believe) to retract the deadbolt. Try turning the bottom lock all the way to the right, then back halfway to neutral and pull the handle. If the pull handle latch is disengaged, sometimes there will be quite a bit of resistance on the deadbolt when trying to retract it.
I tried this but deadbolt will not allow key to be turned all the way to 3 o’clock. Pushed on door with enough force to rock trailer.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #6

I hate to suggest this.... but have you considered taking it back to the dealer for warranty work?

I'd suggest a locksmith, but you'll have to pay for that and that might not work if something has broken off in the door.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #7

Sounds like time to return it to dealer. Should be covered under warranty. Is the trailer level?
Old 04-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #8

My plan

The trailer is level. The dealer is 250 miles away. My plan come Monday is to call dealer, call Forest River and then call CPG the lock company in that order. I am open to any other suggestions.
Thanks to you guys for help.

Brian
Old 04-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
The trailer is level. The dealer is 250 miles away. My plan come Monday is to call dealer, call Forest River and then call CPG the lock company in that order. I am open to any other suggestions.
Thanks to you guys for help.

Brian
Try and find an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech and get pre-approval from FR. You'll have to be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Try and find an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech and get pre-approval from FR. You'll have to be willing to be reimbursed.
^^^^ X2. Didn't realize your dealer was so far away.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You'll have to be willing to be reimbursed.
Most of the time this is true, but there are some quality mobile RV techs out there who are approved to do the warranty work where you don’t have to pay for the warranty repair, but you do have to pay their trip charge.

Bruce
Old 04-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

So this is an ELECTRONIC lock?
Can you feel anything turning when using the key?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #13

Sometimes I can feel something turning when I turn the key for the deadbolt I think the deadbolt is integrated in this lock with the regular lock for the handle. I just think the deadbolt is supposed to turn to 3 o’clock for the key to unlock it and it’s only turning to about 130 or 2 o’clock but I don’t wanna force it because it feels like I could break the key
Old 04-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #14
Senior Member - Retired

Any chance one of the windows is not secured completely and could be opened from outside, allowing someone to get into the trailer and try to open the door from the inside? I doubt it is an option, but had to ask.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Sometimes I can feel something turning when I turn the key for the deadbolt I think the deadbolt is integrated in this lock with the regular lock for the handle. I just think the deadbolt is supposed to turn to 3 o’clock for the key to unlock it and it’s only turning to about 130 or 2 o’clock but I don’t wanna force it because it feels like I could break the key
Definitely don't want to use excessive force. You need to coax it into "compliance".

Are you pushing on the door by yourself?

If so consider getting some help to push and if possible apply some upward force on the door. Not unusual for the strike plate to be adjusted too high so the deadbolt, which is usually at the bottom of the lock to be bound.

If pushing up on the door isn't enough, are stabilizer jacks down? If so, raise them and try again. If still no joy, try jacking up on the frame right under the door. Trailer frames and bodies flex a lot and if I recall correctly there is a warning in the generic manual that comes with FR RV's that warns about the door (and lock) jamming if the stabilizer jacks are raised too high.

If there is any gap at all at the bottom of the door a wide pry-bar, like this:

may give you just enough lift to free the deadbolt. Pry at bottom of door directly below lock and it should only take a very little force to free up the deadbolt. You want to lift, not spread.

Remember, you are just trying to coax it into "compliance", not destroy it.

If you do get it free and open the door then make sure to adjust the strike plate so this doesn't happen again. I had to take the Dremel to the bottom of mine when I installed an Electronic lock.

Good Luck.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
Any chance one of the windows is not secured completely and could be opened from outside, allowing someone to get into the trailer and try to open the door from the inside? I doubt it is an option, but had to ask.
Need to be carefully doing this too. Most of the inside levers are not metal but merely a hard plastic.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #17

take the trailer to a PRO locksmith... pay out of pocket... locksmiths know locks... RV techs are only guessing...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
take the trailer to a PRO locksmith... pay out of pocket... locksmiths know locks... RV techs are only guessing...
Funny, most locksmiths around where I live don't know about RV locks other than to duplicate keys. They tell people to take it to an RV Dealer.

The last locksmith in my town closed up a year ago and if you want a key duplicated HD and Lowes are about the only place you can go unless you want to drive 20 miles.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Just picked up our new geo pro 19fd and put it in storage shed for several days due to weather. Pulled it out today and could not unlock door. Tried wd 40 and both keys. Tried pushing on door. Tried turning key in all directions. Went online and got code to lock or unlock? For Global Life electronic lock. Tried code and heard lock move but would not open. I hope someone can help.
Guess it’s better to be locked out than in!

Thanks,
Brian
Hi Brian do you have an outside door to storage under bed? If you do open it and push the bed up to get inside and open the door from inside.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Funny, most locksmiths around where I live don't know about RV locks other than to duplicate keys. They tell people to take it to an RV Dealer.
the way I figure it, they may not know anything about RV locks, but they have the specialized knowledge about locks in general that an RV tech probably would not have... plus any specialized tools rather then just a standard tool chest of screwdrivers and hammers...

Around here I know of at least 3 locksmith places (within 20 miles) that deal with door locks, (antique to modern), specialty padlocks, safes, and all kinds of that kind of physical security stuff. I also have a neighbor down the street that owns a mobile locksmithing business. I have been to 2 of the 3 of them finding difficult to reproduce keys over the years... key blanks that the local big box stores and hardware stores just don't stock.

That is where I would go to service a lock... a locksmith... you just have to pay them for their time to get it figured out. Drive the trailer to them... setup an appointment ahead of time. OP will probably find something that is just overlooked.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote