Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Just bought two 32oz bottles (without sprayers) of LA Awesome at Dollar Tree for $2.00 + tax.

Question:

The dilution chart shows a 10:1 water/Awesome ratio for vinyl furniture. Is this the ratio I should follow when mixing in my 2gal sprayer for awning cleaning?

To get my awning really clean, I wet down the awning with clean water sprayed the Awesome on full strength, rubbed with a micro fiber cloth on the cleaning pole I got from the guys who sell "Wash Wax All", then rinsed. I did 5x5 foot sections at a time. For really difficult spots, I sprayed again and rubbed with a hand held cloth. When finished I did a final complete, thorough rinse.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
To get my awning really clean, I wet down the awning with clean water sprayed the Awesome on full strength, rubbed with a micro fiber cloth on the cleaning pole I got from the guys who sell "Wash Wax All", then rinsed. I did 5x5 foot sections at a time. For really difficult spots, I sprayed again and rubbed with a hand held cloth. When finished I did a final complete, thorough rinse.
I just got a bottle of Awesome. For 3 bucks it's worth a shot.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #43
Flyboy1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
black mold/mildew use Mold Armor from Home Depot ( look for the lime green bottle as the label changes constantly) WEAR OLD CLOTHES because of bleach content
leaf stains and dirt try LA Awesome cleaner from the Dollar store... spray bottle or 1/2 gallon refill

spray either liberally, roll up awning, wait 30 minutes, unroll and hose off

I’ve used diluted Clorox bleach in a spray bottle to clean my vinyl awning (I’ve never tried it on any fabric awning, but I wouldn’t try that without contacting awning manufacturer) on my last 4 RVs with great success after trying every “awning cleaner” you could think of. Some cleaners helped a lot, some didn’t, but none of them cleaned my awnings as well as bleach. Remember to use eye protection though as you will get drifting bleach mist! A friend of mine didn’t use eye protection and had to go to urgent care after getting it in his eyes. Of course wear old clothes, too. But I’ve even had to use straight Clorox bleach on some tough stains, but it always removed them. Leave it on for a few minutes, but don’t let it dry. I just rinse the awning and trailer wall after using. Never had any issues with awning stitching or side of trailer. The color in vinyl awnings is impregnated into the vinyl and not just on the surface. If you read most of the good awning cleaner ingredients, you will likely see chlorine listed. Often the directions will state: “may stain clothes”. Watch these YouTube videos regarding cleaning mold & stains fron vinyl siding (same vinyl as awnings):

https://youtu.be/1xgmkH2xrr8

https://youtu.be/JLeA34qLFeY

That’s my 2 cents worth, hope it helps!
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
black mold/mildew use Mold Armor from Home Depot ( look for the lime green bottle as the label changes constantly) WEAR OLD CLOTHES because of bleach content
leaf stains and dirt try LA Awesome cleaner from the Dollar store... spray bottle or 1/2 gallon refill

spray either liberally, roll up awning, wait 30 minutes, unroll and hose off
I tried everything under the sun..............the Awesome cleaner worked, and it is CHEAP!

Old 08-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #45

+++ on the LA Awesome cleaner.

First try we used the Camco awning cleaner, and it worked OK, after we mixed it It think 50/50 with water... anyway, way stronger than the label.

The next time we used the LA Awesome from the dollar store... and it not only took off the dirt/mold/mildew, but might have lightened the previous stains a bit too. But, I could not remove the stains completely. But the LA Awesome IS Awesome!!! Takes the crud right off!

I'll ask DW about the magic eraser mop... might have to try that the next time we clean the awning.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannieoakley View Post
I just got a bottle of Awesome. For 3 bucks it's worth a shot.
I got a couple bottles of it today. Both old ladies in the same aisle commented that it's great/they love that stuff.

I have high hopes. It's old lady approved.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:47 AM   #47

I use camco awning cleaner. Spray it in with pump up sprayed than close awning and let it soak for a while. Open again and brush than rince. .
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:14 AM   #48

I've tried several products, but found this to work really really good...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200826-071357_Photos.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	237651
Old 08-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannieoakley View Post
Hi all, still trying to learn. Anyone have a secret to cleaning your awning? I've read some things on line. Cleaned it with Dawn but couldn't get the stains on the underside out. 😣
Thx
Tide and a soft bristle brush. Works great.
Rwbenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #50

Had the same issue . Decided hust to replace the awning with a dark one after spending too much time trying to clean it
gricardsimplycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #51

Armor mold remover is the best product to use just make sure you wear some old clothes because the bleach get everywhere
kevinbrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #52

Just don't get that stuff near the stitching. Will rot it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbrads View Post
Armor mold remover is the best product to use just make sure you wear some old clothes because the bleach get everywhere
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #53

Awnings

Don’t use bleach on an awning because it will dry it out and cause it to crack. Once this happens it will deteriorate quickly.
A friend put me onto something a couple months ago that is great. “Wet and Forget” is sold at the big box stores and Amazon. He cleaned his roof with it and it looked new so he told me about it. It is not cheap but it works great. You can spray it on your roof and let the sun and rain do the work. I checked their website and it says you can use it on the awning so I tried it. Soak the awning with it then roll it up for 30 minutes. Open and hose off. No brown or black marks left. Really works with minimal effort. I use it for anything around the house as well. Had awful mold on back porch. Took 3 applications and hose off but it cleaned it.
dmayo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #54

Clorox

50 50 with water - spray on roll up awning and wait about two hours. Rinse with water. Works great.
Camperpawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #55

Eraser

Just get the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They call it magic for a reason.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #56

Wet & Forget No Scrub Outdoor Cleaner for Easy Removal of Mold, Mildew and Algae Stains, Bleach-Free Formula, 64 Oz. Ready to Use

Works well.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #57

Mr Clean Magic Eraser Mop is like magic!

cropmom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #58

Cleaning

I had a 21 ft hybrid travel trailer for 8 years before buying my 31 ft Forest River Flagstaff. The fold out tent ends needed to be cleaned, and the exterior with the awning needed it too.
I bought a pump spray bottle that you can fill with liquid.
I made a mixture of mostly water, car wash and bleach.
All the mildew was completely gone using just a little bleach. That hybrid travel trailer looked brand new. It sold fast.
rockland2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #59

Clean Awning

I just cleaned mine a month ago and for first time in a long time it looks great. I used Wet and Forget from Home Depot and just followed the directions and it turned out so good I now use it at home in the shower, bathroom and kitchen. Try it. It's easy to apply. I also used it to clean the roof and it also looks good. Highly recommend it.
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:11 AM   #60

I use Awesome and a magic eraser mop.

Tags
awning