Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

How to open automatic awning

Hi there: We have a new-to-us Windsong 2003 with an auto awning. The extend and retract switch by the stair does not seem to do anything and there doesn't seem to be a manual for this particular awning. Can someone tell me how to open the awning?
Thanks!
Park Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

As long as there is 12 volt DC power to the switch, the open/retract switch for the awning should work.

The blade fuse MAY NOT be in the power center. It may be BEHIND the power center on a "pigtail" fuse holder. Remove the screws holding the powercenter to the wall and slide it out. You should see one (or several) pigtail fuse holders. Pop the caps off and check the fuses. One of them should be blown.

Youcan also remove the switch from the wall and check for power there with a 12 volt light tester or multimeter. If no power, then the fuse.

If there is power at the switch, it could be the switch or a bad awning motor.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is a Dometic and assuming the awning motor itself is not the culprit, than a 12v battery from your truck can be used to power the awning.

The motor and cable connection is in the upper part of the right arm on my trailer. Connect wire leads (you supply) to the terminals in the motor connection and to your battery. Red to + and black to - to retract. Reverse polarity to extend.

This would be a pita so not sure I would use the awning much until getting it repaired. I would first diagnose if its the switch or the motor that is bad.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

To bypass the switch just remove the spade connector that has the 12 VDC power from the back of the switch and "briefly" touch it to the open or close hot wire (should be a "color" wire - not white or black) on the top or bottom of the switch. There should be a spark and the motor on the awning should "run" in or out.

Be aware that if you pick the "ground" lug; that if the fuse was not blown before... It is now.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #5

Thanks for your help!
Park Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #6

I have had a similar problem. I have a main control box and it has a rocker switch on it. If I use that switch to close the awaning and do insure that it is in the neutral position when I cimplete the task, it remains in the "close" position and the awaning fails to operate. If I then reposition the switch to neutral and wait a few minutes it oprates propery. I suggest you try to locate the main control box and see if it has one of these sticking switches on kt.
jmacintyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning