Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #1

Installing thumb locks on baggage doors.

Any tips on installing new thumb locks on my outside storage doors ??. They all have key locks, except one door that has both. It's aggravating to have to use the key EVERY time I want to open my storage doors. I would like to install additional thumb type locks, but am nervous about drilling holes in my new 23 IKSS's doors.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

I also didnt want to drill a second hole in my trailer's storage doors, so I replaced the original locks with these locking thumb turn locks. Still uses a key, but once we are at the campground, I unlock and use thumb turns to close doors & lock on departure.
Attached Images

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #3

Awesome !!.........Where did you purchase them ??. Any tips on getting the right size ??.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

I'd like to know too. PIA to carry a key with ya all the time.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #5

I replaced all my storage locks with Cambi-Cam locks.
www.combi-cam.com/

Takes about 5 mins per door to replace. No drilling!
Set your own 3 or 4 digit combination & your done.
All doors are now set with the same combination.

Also replaced my entry door lock with RVLOCK wireless RV entry door lock
www.rvlock.com

You have a keyfob just like your car but for about $50 more I installed a wireless keypad next to the door.
Took longer to get the damn packaging open than it did to install. Only needed a philips head screwdriver.

No more keys on any door in the RV!!!
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #6

Thanks Dave, I think I'm going with the combi-lock. Are they easy to turn and lock/unlock ??. Do I measure just the shaft length for correct fit ??.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Thanks Dave, I think I'm going with the combi-lock. Are they easy to turn and lock/unlock ??. Do I measure just the shaft length for correct fit ??.
Hey Zorro,

Yes they’re easy to turn & yes just measure the shaft length.
Only need an adjustable wrench to remove the existing one to measure.
The only other thing you may need to take into consideration is if you need the straight cams (included) or the offset cams (extra)
There’s a good video on how to set the combo too.

Good Luck!
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

I received a few private notes asking for more info on the keyed thumb locks. Here is the thread that contains all the info:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cks-41517.html

I did look at the combi lok as well, but it is a pretty large knob for my small storage doors. .so I opted for the keyed thumb turns. Hope the info is found helpful to those searching for these elusive locks!

For those wondering, my doors took the 7/8" size, NOT 5/8"
On my receipt, it shows:

Code/sku: Fort Lock: Fort-LTT078,
Product name: 7/8" locking thumb turn cam lock, KD, stainless steel finish

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #9

I have looked long and hard at the option of the thumb locks. I found that they are really only available with different key options. I wanted 4 locks with the same key.
Zoro Tool does not have stock and gets from manufacture. Granger has stock in the warehouse. I had them personally check all of the stock and they all had different key numbers. We then did a conference call with the manufacture fort compx. They can do a special order for locks with the key but it requires ordering a lot....and the price skyrockets. I want desperately to have these. I would keep them unlocked 80% of the time and only lock them when I travel. They are way better constructed and easier to use than the combi locks. I also considered drilling a second hole and just getting the thumb cams with no locks..
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #10

My locking thumb turns are keyed the same as I specifically asked Bill at the company I bought them from, to make sure they were, it didnt cost more and was not a problem for him to order.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #11

That is surprising. Granger and I called the Company Fort Compx(same as the ones you have) and we were told that they have them but have a minimum quantity of 100 for a special order. I will give the place you bought them from a call. I just wonder if everyone is going to get the same key number??
Thank you for your input here.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwardn View Post
That is surprising. Granger and I called the Company Fort Compx(same as the ones you have) and we were told that they have them but have a minimum quantity of 100 for a special order. I will give the place you bought them from a call. I just wonder if everyone is going to get the same key number??
Thank you for your input here.
I was camping with my brother in law last week and we were discussing cam locks. He said that most camper locks were keyed the same. He has a Cougar by Keystone. I went over and sure enough my key's unlocked his storage areas and his unlocked mine!
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #13

This is true - any lock is made in bulk series with same key. Meaning if you were to buy a padlock from a newly opened box at Home Depot and I picked up a lock from the same opened box, the keys to my lock would be the same key as your lock. I would have to open a different box for a new seried lock/key to assure we dont have same series key for lock. The same for these thumb turn locks.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #14

Actually with this company they sell these with different keys to everyone. They told me there are over 300 different keys. When they sell a shipment to Granger or other vendors....all the keys are different. I didn't believe them so I had someone at granger call the warehouse and go through the stock they had on hand....sure enough...out of 76 of them.....all had different keys
They do offer special orders for Keyed Alike...that is what the KA stands for in their description.
I called Bill...they only had 2 left. I need four.
He did do the special order with them and had to order 25. He has sold all but 2. He is going to do another order of 25.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #15

Oh great! Glad this worked out for you! He warned me it would take about a month when I bought mine (and it did) but said if others bought soon; they wouldnt have to wait. Your explanation clarified the "why". :-)

After I received mine, I was so pleased with his help & the locks, I warned him I posted to FR forum & another (A-Frame) forum & be ready to order more!

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #16

handbuilder, the locking thumbs don't appear to be available in the 1 1/8 length I need.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
handbuilder, the locking thumbs don't appear to be available in the 1 1/8 length I need.
I have seen many applications and noticed that these will work for almost every camper. They come with 2 flipper actuators. One straight and one that has a bent angle. If you need it shorter....put the bend in.....if you need it longer....but the bent part out. It covers a spread of over and inch I believe.

Tags
door, lock