Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Leaky Window issue

Looking for some expert advise on a problem I had last time out with a window leak. I have a 2304DS Rockwood UltraLite. We had some very strong storms and I found that there was a puddle of water on the counter of my kitchen slide out. After checking further, I noticed it was coming in along the bottom frame edge of the kitchen window. This is a bottom half crank out style window. There was no moisture noted to the inside part of the window frame but a very steady drip coming out of the flange part of the frame.
Talked to my service department who said it was best to just run a bead of calk around the top and sides of the window outside because Forest River would not warranty something like this. So today, since rain had stopped, I went out to prep the area to seal as instructed, and that is when I noticed the weep areas on the frame.
Hope I have done this correctly, there are three pictures included. Two show problem window with what looks like an after thought weep hole. Other picture shows what every other window on my unit looks like, neat professional rectangle punch outs for weep holes.
Has anyone had problems like this before and how did you manage fixing it? I am tempted to fill the weep holes on this one window to stop any more water from entering them. It appears it was the one side to the right bottom of the window. Thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-12 12.37.49.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	101743   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-12 12.36.14.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	101744   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-12 12.36.45.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	101745  
TxLightkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have your problem also........hard, heavy rain last couple days, and the top edge of dinette cushion felt damp.....so used a very bright light to look around inside window frame........found a leak, so in two or three days the sun is supposed to be back and I'm going to remove window and, as I already have a roll, use butyl tape to reseal around outside frame.....so it won't show
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Thanks Bob, I am not sure I would accomplish anything by pulling the window and replacing the seal. I am thinking they did not punch the weep hole correctly and it allows water to run in. I checked all other windows to be sure nothing was wet. Along my dinette it would be easy to miss a minor leak since I seldom sit in the dinette. The window over my sink is the same exact window with no weep holes from the outside. That is why I am thinking just seal the outside up.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

As a follow up on this issue. Today I made sure things were dry and then sealed the bottom holes on the outside with good old electrical tape.
Got my water hose and gave her a good hard rain for about 10 minutes all around the window at every angle possible. Checking inside, there was no leak to be found. I also decided to do the same to the top of the slide out to be sure it was not finding a trail down from there. Still no leak inside.
So in my way of looking at things, at least the one weep hole was allowing water to back u in around the frame and weep into my camper instead of out of the camper as intended.
For right now, since the electrical tape blends so nicely with the frame, I will leave it in place to test thru a few more rain storms, natural or man made if needed.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
Left Coast

Just re-checked my problem 'child' and 1 weep hole was retaining water.........placed a narrow piece of duct tape across top of frame.....now wait'n for next shower. Believe this one is leak'n from between the inner and outer frames, so might get away with just removing inner frame and adding sealer.....hard to tell at this point, but looks like inner frame fits around outer...
Old 03-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #6

DO NOT PLUG / SEAL THE WEEP HOLES.

The weep holes are designed to allow any water that may accumulate in the frame to drain out.

The way the windows are held in the frame is not a water tight. They use a rubber keeper that holds the glass against the frame, These rubber keepers generally do a good job of sealing the glass, but that is not their intent. A smalAs the get older, water can ( and will) creep in between the glass and the fram, That water will then drain through the weep holes.

If the holes are plugged, the water will fill the lower part of the frame, then drain inside, resulting in water damage to the interior wall.

Repair interior wall de-lamination damage | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 03-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Left Coast

Just put mine back together.....found that the inner frame just pinches outer frame and glass to outer frame...looks like the screws across the bottom of inner frame were causing my leak......only during a heavy rain the window channel would get water in it by leak'n between glass and outer frame....weep holes were clear, but couldn't handle that much water, so it backed up in the channel and the screws wicked it up.....so I sealed that area of inner frame to the outer....now after sealer cures some, will do a leak test
Old 03-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
DO NOT PLUG / SEAL THE WEEP HOLES.

The weep holes are designed to allow any water that may accumulate in the frame to drain out.

, then drain inside, resulting in water damage to the interior wall.

Repair interior wall de-lamination damage | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

I fully understand the purpose of weep holes and how they are supposed to work, but as originally mentioned, they are not working correctly and the water is draining to the inside from the rain outside. Just opposite of how this is supposed to work.

Good news, I sent pictures to my service guy who sent them on to FR and they are sending out a new window under warranty since the holes are obviously not punch properly and product failure is causing my leak.

Tags
leak