Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

New Rockwood 5th wheel

Hi
I'm in the UK looking to import a new Rockwood 5th wheel RV into the UK.
I want to include the platinum package option and also include the thermoopane window option. However one dealer tells me I cannot have the frameless bonded windows with the thermopanes incorporated into them and another says I can. I am very confused and need to know who is correct before I can decide on my final specification and place my order. Can anyone please definitely confirm who is correct?
Many thanks
Rodders in England
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #2

i have a 2014 5th wheel with the diamond pkg. Has frameless windows and thermopane windows. Got the 50 amp dual ac also.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #3

Hi Tom
Thanks for that, its very helpful.
I am now looking for the right truck to pull it. Am I best with a diesel of is
a gas 2500 Ford,Dodge or Chevvy ok? I assume a 1500 would'nt really be
adequate??
Many thanks
Rodders
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #4

Well, now you are getting into some personal preferences and the food for many lively discussions. To me, the 1500 versus 2500 was something that I wasn't going to attempt. There are some that do and are fine with the results. The issue you run into is the pin weight and payload capacity of a 1500. I myself had towed my bumper pull with a 1500 based GMC Yukon Denali XL. It had plenty of power but didn't like the way it felt overall (too soft). Was going to swap out the P rated tires for LTs but then decided that I would eventually move to a fifth wheel so got the truck. And what a difference in towing the bumper pull. Now with the fifth wheel, I think it tows even better, hardly know a camper is there except for the big thing in my rearview mirror. Between gas and diesel...in Colorado I've experienced pulling my old trailer up steep passes with the 6.2L gas in the Yukon and knew that I wanted the diesel option. Plus on the downhill side I wanted the help of the exhaust brake that GM offers. That being said, I've always been pretty much a GM person. I've owned Fords, but when it came time for the truck I looked at the Fords and they have some great features but I got a steal of a deal on a leftover 2011 Chevy 2500HD that basically gave me the diesel and Allison transmission for free so I couldn't pass it up. Just my thoughts and preferences.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Best Truck?

Many thanks Tom for your opinion.
Reckon I'll look for a 2500. Whether gas or diesel I'm not sure Because fuel is so expensive in the UK a dual fuel to include compressed natural gas appeals as that is about half the price of gas with diesel even more expensive than gas.
Not sure what reasonabIe price I will have to pay for a 2 or 3 year old truck with a low mileage. I' have to keep doing my homework!
Thanks again for your help
Rodders
Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

There are many threads on this forum about calculating what truck you need to tow your particular RV. You need to start with the GVWR for the RV, realize that pin weight (load on your truck) is going to be 15->25% of that GVWR, and then find a truck that can handle that load (both for cargo-carrying capability, including hitch weight, passenger weight, other cargo weight) as well as GAWR (axle ratings).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

Many thanks Barry
I'll look for those threads but your suggestions are very helpful. I'm new to this so may take time to sort!
All advice is much appreciated

Rodders