Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #1

Unhappy Opps = Replacement Door

I hope my glue and clamp repair will make this question redundant, but it would be good to know anyway.

Somehow one of our doors over the TV openned in transit. May or may not have been properly closed before we left, there was a bit of a rough spot on the trip home (washboard bouncing for a half mile or so).

Anyway, when openning the slides the door jammed and broke. Hence the clamp and glue job in progress.

My dearly beloved, just loves her new trailer (an 09 Rockwood 8319SS) and wants me to buy a new replacement door.

I will call my dealer tomorrow to see if it is possible to order one door. I fear the cost may be high for a simple wooden door, but it is a new trailer. Question is; what are the odds that the door and stain will be an exact match for the finnish we have? Sort of a honey maple wood.

Anyone had to buy a door from F.R. before?
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

Others have ordered replacement doors but I have not. And they match up pretty well I'm told. That figures since they mass produce them all by the hundreds prior to installation in a particular trailer.

That is an item on our checklist, after some poor FRF member lost a pantry door on a floor plan similar to mine. The checklist reads something like:

Extend slide out room
1. Remove safety braces
2. Check pantry and entertainment center for doors or objects obstructing slide.
3. Observe slide (in motion) from outside for safety (trees and such)
4. Extend slide

This saved the little compartment door underneath our pantry one time. I guess a rather rough bump caused the small fan and some cleaning supplies to bump the door open.

I have added a magnetic catch to some doors that didn't seem to stay shut well. Also added a sliding latch to the toilet door since it would pop open and flop around during travel.

Your dealer may or may not be able to get you a better price. Worth a shot.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
SandPiper 345 QB

You could also order two new doors one left one right this may help with the color.
If you have a cabinet the same size some where else you can always switch the doors with out your beloved knowing.
IIFID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #4

The same thing happened to mine- and when we opened the slide out- not realizing the door was open, it just warped and pulled the glued joints apart. I was able to re glue the joints with carpenter's glue, and re- attach the door, without any obvious damage. LUCKY, I suppose! I have kitchen cabinets from Home Depot that are the same color as my camper- I would take the door or at least the measurements and a piece of the door- depending on the size, in there to see if they in fact have something to work first. Forest River is probably going to be pricey on their parts, and be forever getting it to you!! GOOD LUCK, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote