Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Outside kitchen door......inside rotted?

Have a 2012 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8312SS....Have had a couple issues with the struts that hold the outside kitchen door up. The first few months after the purchase, the struts came off the door. Dealer fixed them by riveting small piece of sheet metal to the door and then riveting the strut brackets to that. Held for a little while until one pulled away again. I just decided to drill through the door and bolt the bracket to the door and seal it with silicone. The other side held with the dealer fix until the last run this season. Figured it was not a big deal and would do the same thing that I had done to the other side. Until I drilled the holes and found that the wood inside the door was rotted. Which brings me to the question...Is there a way to fill that in with wood filler or fiber glass or something to get some rigidity back and be able to re-secure the strut? I really don't want to think of what a new door would cost. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
Camper

I think the best thing to do would be to remove the door and rebuild it from the inside out. Replacing the substrate and fixing whatever caused the leak would be cheapest and easiest.

I did this once on and older motorhome I had. The biggest issue I ran into was finding plywood that would match the original thickness. I could not find it easily so I had layered 2 together to get the final thickness.

The manufacturers use materials that are specific to the industry so the plywood is always different than one can find locally. Usually slightly thinner than standard.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door