Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 12:21 AM   #1
brand-new full-timer

peeee-yew! somethin’ smells funky and I think it’s my awning!

Long story short, we bought a used 2015 Columbus 385bh located in NY, while we were in Florida. I know. But we got a really, really beautiful camper, sight unseen aside from detailed pictures and phone calls, etc.

So - it rained for our first 4 days straight and I noticed a wet dog-like, mildewy smell coming from around our entry door. Couldn’t find it at my level and i smelled all around this thing where i could reach. It’s most likely the awning, since I’ve retracted it and it’s gone.

How do I clean it? Is there a solution (not vinegar, please) you pros recommend? I’m a total newbie fulltiming it for 8 months.

Thanks in advance!
laurlaur576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurlaur576 View Post
Long story short, we bought a used 2015 Columbus 385bh located in NY, while we were in Florida. I know. But we got a really, really beautiful camper, sight unseen aside from detailed pictures and phone calls, etc.

So - it rained for our first 4 days straight and I noticed a wet dog-like, mildewy smell coming from around our entry door. Couldn’t find it at my level and i smelled all around this thing where i could reach. It’s most likely the awning, since I’ve retracted it and it’s gone.

How do I clean it? Is there a solution (not vinegar, please) you pros recommend? I’m a total newbie fulltiming it for 8 months.

Thanks in advance!
Star-Brite awning cleaner at wall mart
or wally's world as it's commonly known as on this site.
It worked great for me.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:24 AM   #3

What you can do is make up a solution of water and bleach, spray the underside with it, roll it back up and let it sit for awhile, then unroll it wash it with soap and water, if it's still dirty or smells repeat the process, that should end your problem. Then after every rain always open it up so it can dry, never put it away wet if you can help it...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 AM   #4

Some times a little scrubbing may be needed....break out the Rain Gear First. I usually get soaked if I need to do some scrubbing on mine.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #5

We had a rig with a stinky awning like that.

Not sure how it got started (Ie Previous owner put it up wet?)

A couple of things we found first clean it with soap or a product like “totally awesome” from the dollar store.

We found it if the awning is dirty it tends to mildew faster so if you keep the awning clean it will mildew less often.

We use an RV cleaning brush to clean the canvas but you can’t push too hard otherwise the canvas will stretch and that’s a another problem to avoid.

So after lightly scrubbing it with soap or totally awesome then use the bleach and water solution to kill the mildew

Regular maintenance after that would just be spraying the bleach water solution rolling it up for 15min or so and then opening and rinsing it off as noted above.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

Another product that works well and doesn't have bleach which can damage some awning fabrics is Scotts Outdoor Cleaner

Spray on bottom of awning while out, roll up, let soak. If there are particularly dirty or stained parts give it a scrub with your long handled brush you wash your RV with. If the top is stained or has any stubborn dirt spots on it, roll the awning back so the dirty spots are on the bottom and outside edge of the roller and scrub them while there. Roll the awning back in a little more and continue scrubbing while the roller is backing up the dirty spots. When done scrubbing just extend awning and give it a good hose down. When I do mine I just pull the ends down and lock them in the "Rain Dump Position" so I don't have to get on the roof or stand on a ladder.

After the initial cleaning you probably won't have to do any scrubbing. Just spray and rinse per instructions. Especially important to clean any evergreen tree needles or sap off as soon as you get home.

Mold and mildew need more than just water to grow. Dirt, pollen, and tree sap provide the nutrients they need. Clean those off and an awning that's just wet won't grow mold/mildew.

BTW, this stuff works great on patios, decks, and outdoor furniture. I just spray it on, let it sit for a while, then pressure wash off.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #7

I don't know about a awning not growing mold or mildew wet? The air is always filled with some kinda of pollen , a damp environment is ripe for it. I can get mold going in my basement just by being dark and moisture in the air. Never seen that Scott product before might buy some and try. I have always used CLR non bleach foaming mildew remover it really works well and you don't have to worry about bleach. I f rist learned that after I left bleach on to long rolled up, the top color side came out all bleached out after I unrolled it. Just a word of warning. Now I have never had a problem with the CRL NON BLEACH cleaner. Maybe try it. I personally do not like a dirty awning. I try to keep mine white like new. Might be OCD...😂😎

Old 05-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Star-Brite awning cleaner at wall mart
or wally's world as it's commonly known as on this site.
It worked great for me.
I hear Walmart has a nice RV section so I have to make it over there now that we’re somewhat settled, it’s been one week. Thank you so much for your suggestion!!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
What you can do is make up a solution of water and bleach, spray the underside with it, roll it back up and let it sit for awhile, then unroll it wash it with soap and water, if it's still dirty or smells repeat the process, that should end your problem. Then after every rain always open it up so it can dry, never put it away wet if you can help it...
This makes a ton of sense. We had it out for a few days then rolled it up, but I believe it’s been rolled up for months. I’m concerned about the bleach but hey - sounds like it’ll work! Thank you!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Some times a little scrubbing may be needed....break out the Rain Gear First. I usually get soaked if I need to do some scrubbing on mine.
I’ve got to get a long contraption to clean this thing. I never really thought about it like your car that you clean - wow. I’m 5’4” and this thing is huge! But I’ll grab a poncho while I’m grabbing that scrubber! Thanks for the advice!! Lol.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
I’ve got to get a long contraption to clean this thing. I never really thought about it like your car that you clean - wow. I’m 5’4” and this thing is huge! But I’ll grab a poncho while I’m grabbing that scrubber! Thanks for the advice!! Lol.
I have a extendable painting pole I attach a scrub brush to. I use a smaller brush and ladder if it's tough spot to clean.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Not rolling up the awning when wet doesn't always work. I roll up my awning dry and when it rains it always fills with water. Has done it since day one. I know many others have the same problem.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #13

after cleaning try this product... I swear by this line of product available from Home Depot...

Mold BLOCKER

Quote:
When you clean mold and mildew staining, you can make the clean last longer with Mold Armor Mold Blocker. Mold Armor Mold Blocker leaves an antimicrobial barrier to inhibit the growth of mold and mildew for up to 3 months
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Not rolling up the awning when wet doesn't always work. I roll up my awning dry and when it rains it always fills with water. Has done it since day one. I know many others have the same problem.
Different problem, when it rains your slots on the roller takes on water it's going to happen. You have to unroll it after rain to dry it out , never put away a wet awning if you can help it, if you do open it up to dry asap. Is that what you are talking about? Never put a wet awning away, if yours is rolled up during the rain as soon as it stops unroll it. No big secret here. Wet will invite mold and mildew.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #15

Quote:
X2 on this. My old unit had a white(with spots) underside. I used generic cleaner w/bleach and misted it down. Then took a swiffer mop and got after it. Clean as a pin and smelled nice when finished. Rinsed well and used it.

This was before I knew it was tabboooo to use bleach.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #16

My kitchen sink vent is right by the front door, every now and then when the wind is right you will get a sour smell coming from the vent, not saying that it's not your awning.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
We had a rig with a stinky awning like that.

Not sure how it got started (Ie Previous owner put it up wet?)

A couple of things we found first clean it with soap or a product like “totally awesome” from the dollar store.

We found it if the awning is dirty it tends to mildew faster so if you keep the awning clean it will mildew less often.

We use an RV cleaning brush to clean the canvas but you can’t push too hard otherwise the canvas will stretch and that’s a another problem to avoid.

So after lightly scrubbing it with soap or totally awesome then use the bleach and water solution to kill the mildew

Regular maintenance after that would just be spraying the bleach water solution rolling it up for 15min or so and then opening and rinsing it off as noted above.
What an informative answer. I am so appreciative of your tip on the totally awesome, which by the way, sounds totally awesome! 😉
Old 05-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #18
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Another product that works well and doesn't have bleach which can damage some awning fabrics is Scotts Outdoor Cleaner

Spray on bottom of awning while out, roll up, let soak. If there are particularly dirty or stained parts give it a scrub with your long handled brush you wash your RV with. If the top is stained or has any stubborn dirt spots on it, roll the awning back so the dirty spots are on the bottom and outside edge of the roller and scrub them while there. Roll the awning back in a little more and continue scrubbing while the roller is backing up the dirty spots. When done scrubbing just extend awning and give it a good hose down. When I do mine I just pull the ends down and lock them in the "Rain Dump Position" so I don't have to get on the roof or stand on a ladder.

After the initial cleaning you probably won't have to do any scrubbing. Just spray and rinse per instructions. Especially important to clean any evergreen tree needles or sap off as soon as you get home.

Mold and mildew need more than just water to grow. Dirt, pollen, and tree sap provide the nutrients they need. Clean those off and an awning that's just wet won't grow mold/mildew.

BTW, this stuff works great on patios, decks, and outdoor furniture. I just spray it on, let it sit for a while, then pressure wash off.
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I feel so lost in this RV world but you guys are certainly showing me the ways!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #19
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
I don't know about a awning not growing mold or mildew wet? The air is always filled with some kinda of pollen , a damp environment is ripe for it. I can get mold going in my basement just by being dark and moisture in the air. Never seen that Scott product before might buy some and try. I have always used CLR non bleach foaming mildew remover it really works well and you don't have to worry about bleach. I f rist learned that after I left bleach on to long rolled up, the top color side came out all bleached out after I unrolled it. Just a word of warning. Now I have never had a problem with the CRL NON BLEACH cleaner. Maybe try it. I personally do not like a dirty awning. I try to keep mine white like new. Might be OCD...😂😎
And I’m somewhat OCD as well so that makes two of us! Ours has some sap on it and I just have to set a date to really clean the top and awnings on this massive 5th wheel! Thank you, kind sir!!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
And I’m somewhat OCD as well so that makes two of us! Ours has some sap on it and I just have to set a date to really clean the top and awnings on this massive 5th wheel! Thank you, kind sir!!
Yes, I think all of us do if you care about your stuff, that's what I like about this forum, no matter how many years been camping or a new be, you can still learn something, I have a lot of time so I read a lot and look stuff up either to help someone if I can or just to learn something. Anybody who thinks they know it all is setting them selves up for a problem. I'm still amazed about the internet, which I never thought would take off..😂😂😎

Tags
awning