Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #1

Power Awning

I have a 2019 5th wheel Flagstaff Super Lite 8528CKWSA about 32 ft and it has a 20ft. awning. So I attached a pic but U might not make it out but will try to describe it. When the awning is out and then U close it the arms on both sides do not mesh together. U have 2 C channels one on the wall and one that extends out. When they come back together to close the the extended C channel fits over the wall channel on each side of it. Not mine, the extended one at the bottom left wants to travel inside the wall channel and the upper right part where the motor attachment is wants to travel to the inside also. So like opposite corners. The dealer says it is because the tube that the material rolls up on it sagging in the middle. Well it is 20ft long after all, but I don’t think that is going to fix it. They ordered a new tube only. I believe it is a Dometic 9100. On the pics U can kind of see how things don’t line up straight. I am hoping it is just an adjustment without a lot of hassle. Has anyone had to mess with this kind of crap before? If it is easy I would rather do it myself. I don’t want to start something and all hell brake lose. LolClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	213769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	213770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4832.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	213771Thanks for any help or just let the dealer figure it out.
Papatrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #2

Power Awning not slide sorry
Old 08-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

Have you discussed this with the selling dealer to see if this can be resolved? This should be your first approach to getting this resolved.

I have had very good results when dealing with any of the three dealers that I have purchased my 5er's from.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #4

It may be as simple as the awning material not positioned correctly on the tube. With the awning extended, at the tube end, pull the awning material one way or the other to see if it straightens it out.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Have you discussed this with the selling dealer to see if this can be resolved? This should be your first approach to getting this resolved.

I have had very good results when dealing with any of the three dealers that I have purchased my 5er's from.

The dealer thinks that the tube that the material is rolled up on has a sag in the middle of it. So they have ordered a new tube.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Do you loosen the adjustment knobs when closing?

Is the distance between the rail (that fastens to the R/V ) the same at the top and bottom?

Are those rails 90º to the tube and parallel to each other?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papatrc View Post
The dealer thinks that the tube that the material is rolled up on has a sag in the middle of it. So they have ordered a new tube.
I've had several long awnings with a bit of a sag in the tube and it never affected the way it rolled up.

Hopefully they will find the issue when you take it in.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

I think I found an issueClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4836.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	213843Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4837.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	213844
Old 08-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papatrc View Post
I think I found an issueAttachment 213843Attachment 213844
So what are you showing us that looks like an issue?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #10

The tube will not fix the problem. The awning is held in place on the trailer side by a very shot screw in the track at each end. The screw goes thru the awning material and the awning track. I had the same problem with mine. The screw on one end was missing. One screw was missing. The awning material has shrunk pulling it to one end. When you roll your up the awning is pulling the frame with it. You can confirm this issue with a type measure. Roll the awning out. Measure between the edge of the awning fabric and the end brace at the roller end. Now go the the trailer side and measure the same distance. Now go to the other end and do the same 2 measurements. The distance from the material to the outside brace needs to be the same on each end. I had to remove the screw and pull it back 2". It takes 2 ladders and 2 people. Let me know what you find out.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
So what are you showing us that looks like an issue?

It looks like the arm attachment to the tube is bent. The pic doesn’t do it justice sorry. The other arm is perfect looking exactly 90 degrees. But this side that I took a pic of is not and maybe it is not a big deal. They have a tube ordered for the awning material and hopefully the caps and shaft coming out of the tube all come with it. Hopefully U can see what I mean
Old 08-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The tube will not fix the problem. The awning is held in place on the trailer side by a very shot screw in the track at each end. The screw goes thru the awning material and the awning track. I had the same problem with mine. The screw on one end was missing. One screw was missing. The awning material has shrunk pulling it to one end. When you roll your up the awning is pulling the frame with it. You can confirm this issue with a type measure. Roll the awning out. Measure between the edge of the awning fabric and the end brace at the roller end. Now go the the trailer side and measure the same distance. Now go to the other end and do the same 2 measurements. The distance from the material to the outside brace needs to be the same on each end. I had to remove the screw and pull it back 2". It takes 2 ladders and 2 people. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks for the info. I try it as soon as I can. We are actually getting ready to leave for the weekend
Old 08-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #13

The material is pulling on the alm frame and causing it to bend.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #14

If you look when the awning is rolled up. On mine both are arms were bent the same amount. The bend is not permanent. It is straight when you unroll the awning. Just center the awning in the frame while it is open. I move just the trailer side as it is just one track. My roller side has two tracks. To difficult to work with. Replace the two small screws when you done or it will do it all over again.

Remember. The distance from material to frame must be the same at the roller side as it is on the trailer side. The awning does not need to be centered on the frame. 3" at trailer and 3" at roller. 4 " at trailer and 4" at roller. Hope I am explaining the correctly.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #15
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post

The material is pulling on the alm frame and causing it to bend.
We had the exact same problem and the above is the fix. Took a friend and I about 15 minutes. Good Luck!
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, slide