Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

power awning help

Ive just go back from my first weekend out in the new camper and as we were packing up and hit the button to retract the power awning when it came all the way back in to the closed position the left (rear) arm was not lining up and wont go as far in as the front. i opened and closed several times same result. I pulled on it and it was solid so I drove home and it stayed closed and tight just about 1/4-1/2in open on one side. So my question is are there adjustments that need to be made to make it close all the way? Are there straps or tie downs to make sure the awning cant come open? on my old camper I had straps to put around the manual awning arms I would feel more comfortable knowing it cant come open doing down the road, thanks steve
Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

Could be your fabric is not centered on the roller, and causing it to roll up off center pushing the arms out of alignment. Look at the fabric on the roller when rolled up. If the fabric has walked one direction or the other it has slid on the roller. A number of the members once they get the fabric centered properly on the roller they rivet the fabric o the roller to prevent it from sliding. If there's any wind the flapping of the awning material can cause it to slide on the roller.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #3

that was the issue I noticed a small wrinkle and rolled it out tugged on it and rolled it in problem solved. thanks for the help
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve218383 View Post
that was the issue I noticed a small wrinkle and rolled it out tugged on it and rolled it in problem solved. thanks for the help
Here is a photo of the fix once it's centered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	31016  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

This is an easy fix and

FACTORY TAKE NOTE!!!! This should be done on installation!

After you re-center the awning on the roller (easy to move back and forth; just relax the arms and "flap" the awning) so that it goes up and down correctly; drill a small hole through the awning material and the roller and pop rivet the awning to the roller so it does not move in a wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2713704920103306375S500x500Q85.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	31017  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote