Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #1

Power Awning makes loud rumbling vibrating noise

I have two dometic awnings (9100 I think). Trailer is a 2016. Never had any problems before this trip. When running both awnings out everything is good. When bringing them in they vibrate the entire trailer and make a loud rumbling noise. Both days that this has happened they have been out for most of the day. Tomorrow moringing I'm going to run them out and back in to see if that changes anything. Almost seems like the shocks are not pushing in like they should. Has been full sun and low 80s with cool nights in the 60s when I'm retracting. Anybody got any ideas on what I should check?
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #2

My awning started doing this after the second season. I attributed it to the aluminum channel that allows for adjustment while extended becoming sticky. The part that has the lock knob and slot.

I just sprayed a little dry lube on the sliding parts and it doesn't groan when I retract. Also remembered to make sure the knob was loose before retracting. If it was not totally loose it caused the two pieces to bind slightly.

As for the loud noise, the side of the trailer makes a pretty good sound amplifier.

Anyway, that's what worked for me. A little lube spray that dries non-sticky. All kinds of it sold just about everywhere.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #3

I checked my awning today. This morning I rolled it out and back in several times with no problems. Left it out almost all day and when I started to roll it in one of the awnings started to make noise. I stopped and manually lowered both sides of the awning to compress the struts. One side was tighter than the other for a couple inches of movement. Then it was easy. Tried running the awning in and no noise this time. I guess the struts get tight. Could still be temp related or just age.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, noise, power