Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #21

I use shower spray. wet top and underside of awning with water and spray shower cleaner on underside of awning. roll up and let stand for 30 -45 mins rinse side of camper off. roll awning out and rinse good top and bottom. reapply on spots you missed. also did my toppers the same way.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Are you talking about the Awesome Orange cleaner, or just the "regular" LA Awesome cleaner (I think it's a yellow liquid in a semi-opaque bottle)? DW uses the Orange cleaner and swears by it. I've also used it on a few things, and it is good stuff!!!
I use the yellow. Haven't seen the orange.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #23

The orange stuff? You can't miss it if they have it... bright orange spray bottle. It's good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0670[1].jpg
Views:	156
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	189852  

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Dollar Tree cleaning supplies. LA Awesom $1.00 per bottle. Best cleaner on the market. Most won't buy it because it cost $1.00.
Don’t know if it still says it on bottle, but it used to say NOT to get on glass or windows because it could etch the glass. I used it one time on a KZ RV I had to clean underside of awning and it streaked my white aluminum corrugated siding. Have not used since. But it did clean the awning.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #25

I'd check with the makers of the awning or the manual that came with it. The awning that I had on my 2014 Forest River Surveyor said to never use anything harsh on it, especially a household detergent like Dawn, but to rinse the awning off after every use and then wash with a mild awning cleaner made for awnings every 2 years.

My new 2018 Forest River Coachmen's awning is to be cleaned with "1/4 cup household detergent like Dawn and 1/4 cup Clorox mixed in 5 gallons of water, applied liberally, awning rolled up for 5 minutes and then opened and rinsed off." So it depends on the material form which the awning was made.

Also, I am more convinced that it is condensation that forms in the awning after a period of time. If the awning is dirty and rolled up, condensation forms and algae or other dirty marks would accumulate and look like the awning in the photo.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #26

Mixture of Chlorine Bleach & Laundry Detergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Don’t know if it still says it on bottle, but it used to say NOT to get on glass or windows because it could etch the glass. I used it one time on a KZ RV I had to clean underside of awning and it streaked my white aluminum corrugated siding. Have not used since. But it did clean the awning.
I used some of the Totally Awesome cleaner to clean the outside wall after a spider web blocked the burner tube on the water heater and sooted up the wall... I noticed some white paint coming off the siding as I cleaned it, so be careful with the cleaner on the painted surfaces. I normally use a mixture of 1/2 cup chlorine bleach + 1 cup liquid laundry detergent in 2 gallons of water in my garden sprayer, with my soft bristled extendo brush. Easily Takes the mold & mildew off the awning and slide topper as well as cleaning the roof and sides of the RV. The rain gutter awning protector I mentioned above kept the dirt and water off the awning & topper while in storage between trips. Both were clean and dry when opened. Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoush1228 View Post
My wife used the Magic Eraser and water - worked perfectly!

They make a Magic Eraser sponge mop. Easiest thing I’ve ever used. Just scrubbed and rinsed off
Rvrphdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #28

I use Camco or Thetford awning cleaner liquid and apply with a foam cannon on a pressure washer. The foam will stay on and loosen the stains and soil. After allowing to soak, agitate with a long-handled brush and rinse with the pressure washer (either held away at a distance or with reduced pressure adjustment).
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Dollar Tree cleaning supplies. LA Awesom $1.00 per bottle. Best cleaner on the market. Most won't buy it because it cost $1.00.
A lot of good ideas here! The picture I attached on my original post was, of course, the under side of the awning. The top side may be more difficult to clean due to the fact the design doesn’t let me drop it down so I can clean/clear the top side of debris before retracting it. Standing on a ladder appears to be the only way to get at it.

Does anyone know if this awning can be dropped down to access the top side by standing on the ground? I have studied it but don’t see any way to do that. It is electrically operated and the brand name on the vinyl says Sierra but I doubt that is the make of the awning structure. It’s on a Salem Cruise-Lite TT made by Forest River Ind. and the awning may be a Lippert Product.

I will definitely try the Dollar Tree LA Awesome product-can’t beat that price!

Thanks in advance!!!
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
After 6 months in storage there are unsightly stains on the underside of my awning caused by rain seeping in from the edges when rolled up.

Two questions:

#1 what is the best product and method to manually clean it?

#2 how to stop the water from doing this when rolled up?
Try Search,,, we have tried every thing I think !!!
Murphys with a little bleach !!!
But do not get it on the RV !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #31

Quote:
A lot of good ideas here! The picture I attached on my original post was, of course, the under side of the awning. The top side may be more difficult to clean due to the fact the design doesn’t let me drop it down so I can clean/clear the top side of debris before retracting it. Standing on a ladder appears to be the only way to get at it.

Does anyone know if this awning can be dropped down to access the top side by standing on the ground? I have studied it but don’t see any way to do that. It is electrically operated and the brand name on the vinyl says Sierra but I doubt that is the make of the awning structure. It’s on a Salem Cruise-Lite TT made by Forest River Ind. and the awning may be a Lippert Product.

Thanks in advance!!!
Isn't your Lippert awning a"pull down by hand Tilt Adjustment "type? It has NO tilt adjustment locking knobs? Just pull it down in small increments after you"Roll & Clean the exposed areas then Repeat until fully retracted! I use Awesome! Youroo! ! ALABAMA
Old 10-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Try Search,,, we have tried every thing I think !!!
Murphys with a little bleach !!!
But do not get it on the RV !!!
I don’t think it would be possible to do the underside of the awning and not get some on the RV. This concerns me with a lot of the products mentioned. I would be especially worried about the decals getting discolored.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #33

I use "Greased Lightning" mixed 50/50 with water to clean the underside of my awning. Spray it on with pump up sprayer, roll the awning up, let sit for 20 minutes then rinse well. Allow to completely air dry before rolling up. On my electric awning I can loosen the knobs, drop the awning down to a point that it is easy to access the top of the awning with a brush and 5-6 foot pole. I also did the gutter thing which works great to keep rain water from intruding into the rolled up awning. I used a piece of gutter material for joining two pieces of gutter, silicone glued this to one end of one piece of gutter so that it overlaps the other piece of gutter when installed.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi007 View Post
Hello. I believe read on this forum that the method the member used was to take an appropriate circumference sized sized pvc pipe, slice it length-wise and insert over the rolled up awning. I haven't tried this yet since I cover my trailer during winter.
I saw a youtube video on this some years ago- and in this case the person attached it permanently by hinging the pipe and attaching it to the trailer along the same line where the awning fabric attaches. I believe this was on a seasonal trailer- I can't imagine how to hold down such a device for highway travel.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #35

Quote:
I don’t think it would be possible to do the underside of the awning and not get some on the RV. This concerns me with a lot of the products mentioned. I would be especially worried about the decals getting discolored.
By soaking the outside,,, and then rolling it up and letting it set,,, you could maybe keep it off the RV ??? Must keep it rinsed of the RV !!!
I scrubbed both sides of an awning on our old TT years ago,,, got the solution all over the TT and did not get it rinsed off right away !!! No matter what I used I could never get that side to ever shine again !!! It was not a full paint !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #36

Quote:

Thanks in advance!!!

Beware, could cause damage and streaking in siding and windows. But its your RV. JMHO
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #37

Awning cleaning

I'm back with a question about a product called Krud Kutter available at Lowes Hardware Stores. Reading ALL the reviews (which I always take with a grain of salt) the product sounds pretty good. I read the PDF attachment by the manufacturer and there are no warnings about it discoloring painted surfaces. It appears to be OK for most any surface except leather, which I wouldn't use it on anyway. Has anyone tried this? If so what's your opinion? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #38

Krud Cutter Mold and Mildew will definitely clean it. The Turtle Wax for vinyl with UV protection or 303 protectant. Just cleaned mine with KCMM.
milton_w_herron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #39

I used the foaming Clorox cleanup and a sponge mop worked like a charm helps if you have someone with a hose to help rinse
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #40

The easiest solution my husband found is using Jomax and Clorax outdoor bleach solution in a pump sprayer. It’s used for house siding, but works great. He uses a soft scrub brush on an extended pole.
Riversliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning