Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
I'm thinking its correct, but I'm sure if I understand you. If you use your button inside and push the out , once it's out all the way does it stop,? Or does it just keep rolling ,,,and roll up the other way
That's what mine did on my TT. I could push the out button and once it was completely open if I kept my finger on the button it would roll up the opposite way
Well I always watch it and stop it before it starts to roll up the other way (if it can)! For me that’s a no brainer! Why would you do that?
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
Well I always watch it and stop it before it starts to roll up the other way (if it can)! For me that’s a no brainer! Why would you do that?
I didn't realize I was doing it at first because I was outside the camper reaching in to hit the button so I could watch to make sure it wasn't going to hit anything. Heck I didn't do it on purpose. But anyway if yours is rolling back in on the bottom its rolling the correct way. And always wait till its dry before rolling it up . Never wet it will mold for sure
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #63

Sometimes you have to roll it up wet !!!
And unroll & dry at a later time !!!
Hopefully we all have room to do that @ home ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #64
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

A Magic eraser worked wonders on our awning.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
A Magic eraser worked wonders on our awning.

You clean the hole awning with a Magic Eraser ???
You sound like my son,,, he cleans the siding on his house with Magic Erasers !

Old 10-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #66

Magic soution for ugly stains

Here's what I learned from an old friend who's been around RVs for a long time:
1st: to remove those ugly stains from awnings, I use Mr Clean Magic Eraser (in Canada: M. Net effaceur magique). If the stains are old you'll have to scrub a bit but it'll work.
2nd: to prevent the stain from returning. I used Home Depot's BEHR No. 980 concrete & masonry Protector & waterproofer. At first it seem odd to use such a product on plastic but... You'll need to apply the product only once a year. After the first year, you could still have a few stains but they will be much easier to remove with the magic eraser. Apply the product a second time after one year and say goodbye to those stains almost forever.

It worked for me on my actual RV (2011 Georgetown) and my previous one (29 footer North Country) which I owned for 5 years.

I didn't cause any damage or rapid wear on my awnings.
VE2PUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #67
ENE

Spray olive oil PAM on your nose cap where all the bugs are, let set for a while and rub off with cloth. Will not hurt the paint.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #68

Awning cleaner

Best thing for mold on awning that I have found is Tilex. I put it in a small sprayer, spray the entire surface, roll up, come back in 15-20 minutes, unroll and such a bit and rinse.
Works great
mebeauc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
You clean the hole awning with a Magic Eraser ???
You sound like my son,,, he cleans the siding on his house with Magic Erasers !

By magic erasers you mean those 3" x 5" white sponge-like things you use around the house? If so how on earth do you do the entire awning? Are you standing on a ladder and working over your head all the time? How many does it take? My experience with magic erasers is they disintegrate fairly rapidly. I think I'll stick to a spray and/or mop method! At my age, I'm not up to that kind of physical work!!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #70

Quote:
By magic erasers you mean those 3" x 5" white sponge-like things you use around the house? If so how on earth do you do the entire awning? Are you standing on a ladder and working over your head all the time? How many does it take? My experience with magic erasers is they disintegrate fairly rapidly. I think I'll stick to a spray and/or mop method! At my age, I'm not up to that kind of physical work!!
I Hear That !!!
Old 11-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #71

Quote:
Agreed.

Someone said earlier that they make a Mop as well. I did not know that and will be trying it at some point.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Agreed.

Someone said earlier that they make a Mop as well. I did not know that and will be trying it at some point.
That would probluem work pretty well !!!
Our Awning is BLACK,,, I do not like it in the summer,,, it radiates way to much HEAT !!! But the underside always looks clean,,, even if it is not !!!
Our last aning was White underside,,, it showed ever little thing !!!

Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #73
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
It is a process and yes I am working overhead. My wife and I took turns cleaning it. I believe we used two magic erasers for the whole awning. It was really dirty and needed to be scrubbed. After we had finished and posted our work we found out that they do make magic eraser mops but I still have not seen one locally.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
It is a process and yes I am working overhead. My wife and I took turns cleaning it. I believe we used two magic erasers for the whole awning. It was really dirty and needed to be scrubbed. After we had finished and posted our work we found out that they do make magic eraser mops but I still have not seen one locally.
Check Amazon ???
Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #75
ENE

I used that electric battery operated brush $40. It's called the Hurricane Spin Scrubber. It extends to 44" and has a power adapter to charge. It has 3 drubbing heads and last 1 hour on a full charge. I sprayed my awning with "Awesome" from Big Lots went up and down with brush and rinsed off. There were a couple stain lines I had to go over again but the results were excellent. On the top of the awning I used a soft shop push broom which the top only took about 10 minutes.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Don’t know if it still says it on bottle, but it used to say NOT to get on glass or windows because it could etch the glass. I used it one time on a KZ RV I had to clean underside of awning and it streaked my white aluminum corrugated siding. Have not used since. But it did clean the awning.
will not hurt aluminum siding or windows
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #77

Awning cleaning

So many choices!! Which do you choose?? Conflicting information all over the place and I guess we just have to read/decide/buy and hope for the best.

Honestly, I do believe the many postings we've seen on this thread are all made with the best interest at heart. The problem is not everyone has exactly the same situation and the differences in situations create question marks in making a decision. I'm sure most of these suggestions are valid and would work. So we just have to trust our own instincts and go with what we think is right.

I started this thread expecting a simple answer -- LOL!! So far I haven't bought anything -- just waiting till I have the energy to clean the dirty awning anyway!!

Thanks to all who have replied!
Old 11-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #78
ENE

I used the $1 spray bottle of "Awesome" from Big Lots, I wish I could share the before and after pictures.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #79

Awning cleaning

For those of you have used Wet and Forget can you tell me if it discolors the decals on your campers? Also is it OK to get on window glass? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #80

Awning cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENE View Post
I used the $1 spray bottle of "Awesome" from Big Lots, I wish I could share the before and after pictures.
Did you spray it on or use a brush/mop thingy? Does it come with a sprayer/hose adapter? How is it applied? Do you have any opinion on whether it OK if it gets on window glass and the decals that are on your RV? Thanks!

Tags
awning