Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Ramp door feels "spongy"

We have a 2 year old XLR thunderbolt 385amp and have noticed especially over the last year that the rear ramp door feels spongy when you walk on it. We generally leave it in the deck position as the rig is for now parked at a campsite. I have noticed that when I do put the door up a lot of water drains from it. Forest river has refused to warranty it and I'm afraid that it is rotting. Does anyone know if this is possible? Is the ramp all aluminum? anyone else had issues like this? Thanks in advance.
2 Buckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Tiltin Hilton

How long do you keep the ramp in "Deck" position? Days-weeks-rain-shine? Ever hosed it off? brackets for cables factory?, please respond. When I contacted Forest River in Rialto California, they said a company called Riverside Composites made the Ramp doors for them. Located in Riverside, Ca. I was calling for my 2010 Stealth Toy Hauler Ramp weight rating. It is rated at 3,000lbs.
drmoparPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #3

We have been keeping the ramp in the deck position pretty much all the time. We are permanently at a campground until we start full timing in a few years. I use a leaf blower to clean it off but have not hosed it off. It's open rain or shine because we have French doors in the back that we can lock.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #4

Not sure, but I don't think those decks were designed for long term exposure like that. Couple weeks ago we were parked across from a Thunderbolt and when it rained...Heavy..., they folded the deck up. They did leave it out during some light rain, but closed it at night.
Not much help...sorry...but more of an observation.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Tiltin Hilton

These Ramps are not waterproof. They should be kept dry at all times. Never "Hose Off". There is some wood in the construction that has gone away on yours. I use a damp mop when I need to clean my ramp off. You should try to repair with Marine Epoxy once it is opened up. Or replace. You may also have some issues with the wood subfloor near the ramp hinges. In the future, lower and use the ramp in the Deck position, then close up when done if any weather is headed your way. I would not leave it down while you are away. Should you open it up for repairs, take some photos and post so we all can check it out.
drmoparPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Had never heard anything about them not being made for long term exposure, wish I had. Guess from now on we'll have to open and close it depending on the weather. Our model is somewhat unique as it has nice French doors and a murphy bed in the garage that turns that into our bedroom so we would miss being able to look out all the time. Getting ready to close up for the winter but if we open the deck up next spring to see what's what will post some pics. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

Many discussions on XLR Toyhauler forum about the poor engineering design of these ramp doors. Looks good on paper but fails miserably in the real world. Thin aluminum extrusions (not welded), thin plywood, very thin fiberglass and foam all bonded together with glue that's not up to the task. The slightest moisture gets in it comes apart or was a 1000# motorcycle rolling up the center with less than an 8" tire patch actually considered? The engineer blames it on the guy building the ramps. The real problem is Lippert makes them. Keeping the weight down is important, but this theme can be taken too far. If it was built right it might weigh an extra 100#, then hosing off wouldn't be an issue, nor would it come apart if it got rained on.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door