Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Replacing latch on hatch door

We have a new Wildwood 26TBSS that has a triple bunk area in the back. There is a hatch door that opens to the floor level bunk. The latch is keyed from the outside. We want to replace that latch with one that can be opened from the inside and outside and locked/unlocked from either side also. If it was needed to escape the TT, would need a way to unlock it and open to get out.
Anyone have any ideas where to find a latch like this? I have checked various
suppliers of hardware, can't seem to find one that would work. It wouldn't need to have a handle on the outside if it could be opened with a key. But, would definitely need a handle on the inside and also a way to lock/unlock from the inside.
I wouldn't want someone with the same key to be able to open it with a grandson sleeping there. I am definitely going to change out the universal latch that is on it now.
Can't get a picture just yet. Still in storage.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Some guy in back...

We had a Cedar Creek with a large hatch or door for the lower bunk that gave easy access to the area for storage (the bunk base and cushion would fold up, allowing bicycles, Etc. to be stored there while driving.) This was called a "Stay n Play" feature and we had it put on our trailer when we ordered it after I saw a picture of one on the east coast.
That door used a regular door latch assembly and could be opened from either side and locked the same way. Search for some pictures and I am sure you'll find it.

Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door