Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #1

Shattered windows

I went to look at my trailer, a Salem 27RKS, on Friday and I found two large windows broken on either side of the trailer. The trailer is parked at my in laws farm away from vehicular and pedestrian traffic. There were no footprints in the fresh snow and the broken glass lay on top of the snow indicating the breakage happened during the last week. The blinds inside were down and there is no evidence of anything being thrown or shot through the glass. What would cause two windows to fail simultaneously and what can be done to prevent future breakage.

I have no idea why the photos are upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C121E9CD-F08E-44ED-9203-AF0096F5D5D3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	249058   Click image for larger version

Name:	0A28DBCF-88BC-433B-ABE6-F8B7A25D1873.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	249059  
MrGoWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I found two large windows broken on either side of the trailer.
Hard to believe this is a coincidence based on some sort of thermal expansion if BOTH sides of camper were impacted. Yet most of the glass is OUTSIDE trailer. No footprints or tiremarks at all? Glass OUTSIDE the trailer makes me believe if it was a person, somebody had to be inside the trailer. No screen damage or blind damage though. Hmmmm. The glass on top of snow: Are you sure this did not happen previously and snow melt revealed broken glass? If this was case, and it happened previously, maybe snow obscured footprints? Some little jerk playing with a glass break tool (they are for sale all over Amazon)is my first suspicion. That would cause glass to fall mostly straight down. Tempered glass does not break easily without such a tool or similar mechanism of sharp impact.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:53 PM   #3

pellet gun. too bad they are made of lead .when snow in gone search ground .lead compresses so the pellet should be close by. bbs bounce . i replaced a rv window with pane glass ,instead of tempered. from a glass shop . seal to seal + a little. i made a cardboard templet ,then had it cut , round edges arnt a problem at a glass shop.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Good point Thomas. A BB can shatter tempered glass, yet may not penetrate the screen or blind. Punk with a BB gun is our suspect, thanks to Detective Ho. Fun fact: Hawaii 5-0 character Chin Ho Kelly was killed off in season 10. RIP detective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kamfong01.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	249080  
Old 03-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
pellet gun. too bad they are made of lead .when snow in gone search ground .lead compresses so the pellet should be close by. bbs bounce . i replaced a rv window with pane glass ,instead of tempered. from a glass shop . seal to seal + a little. i made a cardboard templet ,then had it cut , round edges arnt a problem at a glass shop.
Oh my, don't know as if I would use pane glass in something going down the highway. Maybe a laminate as opposed to tempered, but never pane glass.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #6

Im just guessing here but Exploding glass is a phenomenon may spontaneously break (or explode) without any apparent reason. The most common causes are: Internal defects within the glass.

Minor edge damage on the glass finally gave way
Extreme impact (like a bird, BB Gun or pellet)

Just a guess -
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #7

Not a BB or pellet gun. A person would have to fire across almost 2 quarter sections of land and around a building. I put my 20 years of fire investigation skills to use and found the bigger window was blown in and the smaller blown out. We had strong wind gusts the other day and I suspect the wind blew into the bigger window causing it to fail. The sudden increase in pressure caused the other window to fail. Both windows are now out and going in for repair.
MrGoWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoWing View Post
We had strong wind gusts the other day and I suspect the wind blew into the bigger window causing it to fail. The sudden increase in pressure caused the other window to fail. Both windows are now out and going in for repair.
That makes sense. Those must have been strong gusts and aimed just the wrong way for your windows.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoWing View Post
Not a BB or pellet gun. A person would have to fire across almost 2 quarter sections of land and around a building. I put my 20 years of fire investigation skills to use and found the bigger window was blown in and the smaller blown out. We had strong wind gusts the other day and I suspect the wind blew into the bigger window causing it to fail. The sudden increase in pressure caused the other window to fail. Both windows are now out and going in for repair.

I have seen car windows broken out due to high winds.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wow. What kind of hellish place do you guys live where wind makes windows explode? Neptune?
Old 03-07-2021, 11:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Wow. What kind of hellish place do you guys live where wind makes windows explode? Neptune?
My son was stationed in Colorado (Army), a big wind storm came thru (Colorado Springs area) and broke out his back window on his truck. He learned to crack his windows when high winds were forecasted. His was not the only window to get blown out that day.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:15 AM   #12
Scoundrel

It can blow like stink on the lee side of our north/south mountain ranges. Blowing out windows of a TT is totally plausible. Chinook down slope wind storms can cause a lot of damage. Occasionally the NWS will (jokingly) issue small pet warnings.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
It can blow like stink on the lee side of our north/south mountain ranges. Blowing out windows of a TT is totally plausible. Chinook down slope wind storms can cause a lot of damage. Occasionally the NWS will (jokingly) issue small pet warnings.
When you see the southbound 18 wheelers rolled over into the I25 median, you know it's a bad wind day.
When you are heading westbound, and your vehicle suddenly drops to a lower gear with the cruise on, and there is no hill, you know it's a bad wind day.
When you can't avoid hitting all the tumbleweed being blown across the road, you know it's a bad wind day.
When you see the dirt swirling in a vortex as you are driving, it's time to find a tornado shelter - and your car is not a tornado shelter.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

As much as I often hate NJ, hearing stories like these makes me a little bit happier I live here. Yes, weather can get crazy here too, but it's pretty unusual. Has to be a hurricane. Even then, never had winds blowing in windows and flipping trucks. You guys live on Jupiter!
Old 03-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
As much as I often hate NJ, hearing stories like these makes me a little bit happier I live here. Yes, weather can get crazy here too, but it's pretty unusual. Has to be a hurricane. Even then, never had winds blowing in windows and flipping trucks. You guys live on Jupiter!
Or South Dakota[emoji41]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #16

The tempered glass windows in RVs and autos can be damaged so slightly that it is not visible and eventually additional stress that would not cause it to break causes it to shatter. A bump or temperature change.
It is frightening.
I will try to insert picture.
Replacement on mine was difficult as it came in several shades and the window was discontinued product.
Manufacturer made custom replacement with frame and repair was completed.
If delayed I would use Plexiglas or cardboard but not regular glassClick image for larger version

Name:	window (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	249205
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #17

Giving credit to Duncan Systems that was a newly acquired division of Lippert Mfg. at that time for manufacture and delivery of replacement window to local auto window place that installs windshields in your driveway for working with me to complete repair before snow.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

now the thousand dollar question: How was your insurance dealing with this?
Old 03-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #19

Probably happened when the trailer got flipped onto its roof. Sorry, the devil made me type that.

Glass on the ground outside normally indicates breakage from within. Is the trailer tightly sealed, no roof vents cracked? Violent atmospheric pressure change could cause this with weak windows. Both windows the same design?

-- Chuck
Old 03-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #20

I resisted roll over idea, glad some one else did it I can't speak for MrGoWing's two window damage. Very different. Had mine been on the farm I would know two snow balls or more and suspects. Insurance company was cooperative provided contact help as alternative to simply leaving it at dealership for completion at some future date. Job was done and it was in warehouse before first heavy snows.

Tags
window