Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
My concern is who's gonna have a replacement in stock if needed 5 or 10 years down the road?

You can get custom curved glass made. Vintage auto owners have been doing that sort of thing for quite a while. I suspect that if it's a popular enough trailer that there will be at least aftermarket replacements available.

We've had a few rock chips on our front end, but not high enough to hit our glass. It's definitely possible though.

You also mentioned condensation. We've experienced it in ours, but it wasn't bad enough that we wished for no window.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #22

So one of the primary reasons we purchased ours was for that window... still running with our 2013 MicroLite that has the cover to lift (or close if we plan on sleeping in & want it really dark) and love it.

This year the window seems to have sunk just a tad so caulking all around it was necessary to get to the leaks and hoping it won't drop much more (although I have already watched the video on how to re-set the window in place just in case).

Currently looking for TT with windows at both ends for future purchase (we plan to trade at 10 yrs) and the only one out there in the shorter length unit is a Lance ...so beyond our $$$ at this time. Don't see us ever giving up end windows with our style of camping for both the view & the light...

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
We own a 2019.5 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S TT with the front window.

Since we bought our trailer in October 2018 I have read many posts in this forum of front window rock chips, cracks/breaks, and leaks.

We always keep our front window covered inside with an additional insulated window shade inside the factory shade to help keep the early morning sunlight out, outside heat out and outside cold off our heads when sleeping.

Many owners (including us) have made a protective cover or applied a clear protective film over their front window.

We have not found any benefit from having a front window on our TT.

Should FR STOP making front windows on TTs?
Many RV manufacturers are making trailers with front windows, not just FR.
It's a popular trend, just like large single axle trailers with high tech features.
They make what sells.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #24

Maybe more problems with TTs and rocks as they are closer to the ground? I have a 41' Montana 5th wheel. Front window in our front living room is great! Electric to raise and lower a shade.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #25
Chris and Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
We like the windshield on our front kitchen model. This is laminated windshield glass, not the tempered safety glass they used when they had the cover. Not sure if any front window makes sense on a front murphy bed model.
X2. We’ve had 2 micro lite models, Both with front windshield style window. First model was bedroom in front which I wasn’t wild about but wasn’t really an issue. Current unit is window in front kitchen.

Love the profile outside with the curved front and adore having the kitchen window. Friends with 5ers complain about how dark their units are and how bright and cheerful the front window is. No chips, dings, or cracks/leaks traveling from Alabama to Arizona and back to West Virginia.
Alabama Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #26

We love the front window in our 2019 2109S. Like extra light and that you can't see in from outside unless you are right next to it.
farmallm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #27

Windshield in travel trailers/fifth wheel,worth it.

I currently have an 2018 FR 2506S TT and love the front window. It provides a lot of light and a great view to our kitchen/dining/living area. It also provides as others have said a preview of the outside prior to walking into the darkness for whatever issues arise at night and also security of our TV. Have not had any problems with window chips, cracks or leaks (Knock on Wood). I do have mud flaps on TV and also propane tanks, battery storage box and other items that block or deter road hazards from hitting window.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #28

Quote:
We own a 2019.5 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S TT with the front window.

Since we bought our trailer in October 2018 I have read many posts in this forum of front window rock chips, cracks/breaks, and leaks.

We always keep our front window covered inside with an additional insulated window shade inside the factory shade to help keep the early morning sunlight out, outside heat out and outside cold off our heads when sleeping.

Many owners (including us) have made a protective cover or applied a clear protective film over their front window.

We have not found any benefit from having a front window on our TT.

Should FR STOP making front windows on TTs?
Out of curiosity, why did you select a model with a front bedroom & window? I understand liking a darker sleeping room, my rear bedroom has two small windows that don’t let much light in during the day. When the day is overcast, It is difficult to find things even with overhead lights on.

My trailer is a V-nose with the kitchen in front. My windows enable me to cook without turning on the overhead lights. I would miss my windows.

Personally, I think Forest River’s product line is fine. There are good options of floor plans and window placement across the brands and price points.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #29

Window Film

You know 3M makes a film for motorcycle headlights to reduce chances of cracking. Don’t know if it’s available in large sheets or not.
Dick
rstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #30
Explore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you select a model with a front bedroom & window? I understand liking a darker sleeping room, my rear bedroom has two small windows that don’t let much light in during the day. When the day is overcast, It is difficult to find things even with overhead lights on.

My trailer is a V-nose with the kitchen in front. My windows enable me to cook without turning on the overhead lights. I would miss my windows.

Personally, I think Forest River’s product line is fine. There are good options of floor plans and window placement across the brands and price points.
First, GREAT feedback from most everyone on liking the front window.

The reason we bought our Mini Lite 2511S was foremost the floorplan. It also has the most interior and exterior storage of any 26’ slide out TT we researched or visited. Available factory options that other TTs did not have also played into our selection.

We never thought of the front window as a “plus” or a “nice to have the view and extra light” feature. Our queen bedroom has a skylight, side window and LED ceiling lights all around which is plenty light for us.

We are neutral on a front window TT with a front stationary queen bed. If the TT has the right floorplan and options, the front window would not matter.
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstowe View Post
You know 3M makes a film for motorcycle headlights to reduce chances of cracking. Don’t know if it’s available in large sheets or not.
Dick

There are similar products used in aviation as well. Look up "leading edge tape". I've never seen it in large sheets either, but it might be difficult to install if it was.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #32

Our dog enjoys the front window!
ElyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #33

Quilter3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you select a model with a front bedroom & window?
We selected one with a front bedroom and window because we liked the floorplan and it was affordable. Affordable was the main deciding factor because it was our first rv.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #34

Quote:
First, GREAT feedback from most everyone on liking the front window.

The reason we bought our Mini Lite 2511S was foremost the floorplan. It also has the most interior and exterior storage of any 26’ slide out TT we researched or visited. Available factory options that other TTs did not have also played into our selection.

We never thought of the front window as a “plus” or a “nice to have the view and extra light” feature. Our queen bedroom has a skylight, side window and LED ceiling lights all around which is plenty light for us.

We are neutral on a front window TT with a front stationary queen bed. If the TT has the right floorplan and options, the front window would not matter.
I understand. When it comes down to choosing our first TT, the floor plan makes all the difference. When we decided on the 274VFK, the spacious kitchen and living room made choosing easy for us.

When you read through the questions & answers on forums like this one, keep in mind most of us don’t have problems with our units so we don’t often reply. It is interesting to read what others think & we note the problems other have. We’ve actually inspected our TT for a problem and discovered a part that may have failed. A quick call to Lippert & we ordered the part. My husband installed the new point & we didn’t have to worry.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #35

We had a Rockwood with a front window and loved it until it leaked from a bad seal. When they replaced the front end I had the window deleted.
I have the window and cover anyone can have. All you need is a new seal.
No shipping local pickup only.
Bob
Old 10-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #36
Lifesylers

FR should just quit making any RV maybe they can hookup with camping world and both of them retire from this industry!
Old 10-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #37

I forgot to mention that while we really like the Rockwood, we finally got rid of it because two other wall delaminated.
Went with aluminum this time. Much easier to repair if or when there is a leak.
Bob
Old 10-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #38

Our front kitchen has the window and we like it. Great light and ability to see what's going on in the CG. We have over 30K miles on the trailer and no window issues from the road.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by road king russ View Post
we ordered ours specifically because of the front window. We really like the additional light that wasn’t available in similar trailers. Any mor info on the protective covers would be appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8515.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	241993
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8518.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	241994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8520.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	241995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8503.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	241996
Sharon.72064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #40
kak

We have a 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2401S. We wanted a couples camper with the murphy bed. This suited us well. We had concerns about the front window but took a chance. We had no problems the first season of camping but have had 2 cracked windows since June of 2020. FR has replaced them without hesitation. They do not seem to have been caused from stone chips, appear to be more of a stress fracture. We appreciate suggestions on protective covers and may consider. This thread came at a good time as we dropped it off at our dealer in Kings Mountain NC last week for the second replacement. Thanks for the input! Happy Camping!
kak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, trailer, travel trailer, window, travel