Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
Explore

Should Forest River Stop Making Front Windows on Travel Trailers?

We own a 2019.5 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S TT with the front window.

Since we bought our trailer in October 2018 I have read many posts in this forum of front window rock chips, cracks/breaks, and leaks.

We always keep our front window covered inside with an additional insulated window shade inside the factory shade to help keep the early morning sunlight out, outside heat out and outside cold off our heads when sleeping.

Many owners (including us) have made a protective cover or applied a clear protective film over their front window.

We have not found any benefit from having a front window on our TT.

Should FR STOP making front windows on TTs?
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #2

FR would probably stop putting in front windows if people stop buying trailers with front windows.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
Should Forest River STOP making front windows on TTs?
We had a TT with a front window with a hard cover that lifted up from the outside which protected it from damage on the road. It also provided shade and a rain barrier.
We enjoyed the extra light it provided, plus we could watch the people walking and rigs entering and leaving the campground.
Rather than discontinuing this option, perhaps a hard cover would suffice.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #4

I agree with Reverse snowbird. We like the window, but a protective cover would be nice.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywater View Post
I agree with Reverse snowbird. We like the window, but a protective cover would be nice.
X2
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
X2

X3

We have the double shades that allow you to see through the first one, but block the light coming in with the second one. We haven't had any problems with ours yet... I know, the key word being yet, but we like having the window.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

We have the last year (2017) of the Flagstaff with an outside cover for the front window. We love it! As said above, it protects the glass, provides adjustable shade and we still have the window. I like to be able to look out to see what is going on outside when needed. Front window allows me to check on my truck. We have windows on both sides and both ends, giving us a 360 view. If I do have to go outside late at night, I will already know what I am walking into and can be prepared accordingly.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #8

Window

I also agree with Reverse snowbird. We have a 2017 2109S that has the front window with the cover that lifts up. We would really miss that big window to the world.
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

We ordered ours specifically because of the front window. We really like the additional light that wasn’t available in similar trailers. Any mor info on the protective covers would be appreciated!
Road King Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #10

Our Wolf Pup 17jg doesn't have a front window and we haven't missed it a bit.

For those who have a front window I believe with a little research you should be able to find a suitable rock guard cover for it though.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #11

BehindBars, This is absolutely true. One of the features we liked most in out 2020 FR 2608BS was the front window (in the front kitchen). We love it, but it's less than one year old so maybe we will have problems? Friends who have a windshield in their front bedroom dislike it for the cold transfer and early morning light. I guess they weren't thinking it through when they just thought it looked cool?
KaptnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #12

Front window

We have a 2511S with a front window and really like it. It is one of our favorite things about our Mini Lite.
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #13

Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We had a TT with a front window with a hard cover that lifted up from the outside which protected it from damage on the road. It also provided shade and a rain barrier.
We enjoyed the extra light it provided, plus we could watch the people walking and rigs entering and leaving the campground.
Rather than discontinuing this option, perhaps a hard cover would suffice.
Yes, DW's 2002 22-foot Nash is like this. Without that window, the front bedroom is pretty gloomy.

I would have thought you could get the fiberglass tub, the two extension slides, and the hinge rail from Camco or somebody, but a fairly thorough internet search only showed several do-it-yourself videos.

If I were in this situation, I think I would take window measurements and then start calling RV Salvage yards (there are a bunch of them) and buy a used one. All it would take is a fresh coat of paint to look really good.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #14
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
We own a 2019.5 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S TT with the front window.

Since we bought our trailer in October 2018 I have read many posts in this forum of front window rock chips, cracks/breaks, and leaks.

We always keep our front window covered inside with an additional insulated window shade inside the factory shade to help keep the early morning sunlight out, outside heat out and outside cold off our heads when sleeping.

Many owners (including us) have made a protective cover or applied a clear protective film over their front window.

Should FR STOP making front windows on TTs?

No way. We have had 10 trailers over the last 48 years and they all had front windows. I had a problem with one of them and had a local glass shop take care of it and that’s it. All of them had the guard that came out and protected it if that matters. I won’t buy another trailer unless it has a front window and preferably an atrium slide.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
code.org

I knew that when the Rockwood/Flagstaff lines switched over to front window glass and eliminated the rock shield that there would be lots of problems for those that did a lot of traveling with their trailer.

We specifically searched for a trailer with a large front window. We love the front window on our trailer and would be missing out on lots of great views at some of the amazing places we have camped if we didn't have that window. We also love the rock shield over that front window that was standard equipment on our 2016 Rockwood.

Instead of eliminating the front window, perhaps they need to go back to a window with a rock shield.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
FR would probably stop putting in front windows if people stop buying trailers with front windows.
I doubt they will give up the design. Bought our Rockwood 2604ws 3 years ago--thought it was a cool idea. Have opened the window cover only twice while camping. The design causes extra air resistance while driving and allows too much sunlight in while camping.
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #17

I would be interested in how many owners or any RV with a front window had a problem with a rock hitting the window.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #18
Dobbs from WI

My daughter's trailer has the front window. She didn't care for the condensation dripping on them the first cold weather camping.
My concern is who's gonna have a replacement in stock if needed 5 or 10 years down the road?
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #19

I could do without the window. We have a 2509S with a Murphy bed. I never open the shade nor take out the extra insulation I have in there. When the bed is up, the window is covered. If the bed is down, too much trouble to climb up on the bed and open the shade. I would rather have had just a wall, it would help keep heat and cold off the bed area. If I had a dinette in that area, or chairs, I would welcome the light. But in this model, I think it is mostly aesthetics.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #20
llr

We like the windshield on our front kitchen model. This is laminated windshield glass, not the tempered safety glass they used when they had the cover. Not sure if any front window makes sense on a front murphy bed model.

So far I have no cracks or chips in the windshield, however I do have a lot of rock chips in the painted front cap.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, trailer, travel trailer, window, travel