Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Solera awning won't retract

The 15' solera awning will extend with no problems but will not retract without having some one help roll awning while holding the retract switch.
Any one else have this issue with Solera Awnings
corgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #2

Not me. Sounds defective, so better make a warranty claim. I suggest you don't let the dealer sit on your unit, while your parts, if any, are ordered. You will read enough stories in here on that happening. Good luck.

2012 Solera.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #3

Had same issue a while back. It was secondary to a bad toggle switch which stuck and caused the motor to burn out. Motor and connection for switch replaced and no further issues.
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Sounds like an expensive repair. Do u do the work yourself?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

It was done under warranty at a local RV dealer at no charge, but motor had to be ordered. Hope this helps.
PS I believe there was a previous thread dealing with these faulty, stcking toggle switches. Hope this helps.
By the way, I am not allowed to use tools!
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #6

Check the connections first. It sounds like the motor work, and this isn't about adjustments made to the limit switches. Review the power connectors to the motor end (clean the contacts, etc.), re-connect the power, and test it out. If you are still having the problem, try the power-in to the switch as well as the power-out to the motor from the switch. If you have a multimeter, use it to test the line feeds.
Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Also check that the material is centered on the roller.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #8

Thanks will check connections and let u know what I find out.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

If your Dometic 9100 electric awning wont retract Down load a Dometic user guide from the internet and keep it in your rig.
Slide in a pull strap just like the manual awnings use. Available at most RV parts stores. Slide it in the utility slot of the roll up mechanism and hang on.
Have a second person remove a screw at the end of the awning forward most point of the roller. The awning can now be rolled up.
Finally reinstall the screw in the hole and secure it. That will keep your awning in place till you take it to your dealer to get it fixed.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #10

My buddy and I each bought cherokee 39 Series park models, mine is 39h and my buddy's is the 39t the Awnings are identical 18' Solera Power Anwings! anyway this past June the 39t started with the retract issue, the only way you could retract was to hold Down the switch and have some one help by pushing the awning back in, with in a week of his acting up mine started doing the same thing , I reported the issue to my dealer, they ordered replacement motors for the awnings, finally August rolls around and the dealer came up to replace the motors, guess what!, it didn't work, it made no difference, so now we are waiting to hear back from the dealer for a solution to this issue!, anyone else have this issue?, and has it. Been resolved for you?, what was the fix??, Thanks people! Would like to fix this issue and put it past us

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
joubeclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by joubeclan View Post
My buddy and I each bought cherokee 39 Series park models, mine is 39h and my buddy's is the 39t the Awnings are identical 18' Solera Power Anwings! anyway this past June the 39t started with the retract issue, the only way you could retract was to hold Down the switch and have some one help by pushing the awning back in, with in a week of his acting up mine started doing the same thing , I reported the issue to my dealer, they ordered replacement motors for the awnings, finally August rolls around and the dealer came up to replace the motors, guess what!, it didn't work, it made no difference, so now we are waiting to hear back from the dealer for a solution to this issue!, anyone else have this issue?, and has it. Been resolved for you?, what was the fix??, Thanks people! Would like to fix this issue and put it past us.

Just a SWAG, but the torsion springs could be unhooked or broken in the other end or best case, the rivets sheared on the torsion end of the tube.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #12

Thought of that to!, according to the tech, he cheeked that for that as well, so today I tried the switch again and know it's as if there's no power at all getting from switch to the awning, checked all the breaker and fuses and all seem good!, real frustrating !!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #13

It is frustrating I took my switch off wall looked fine then put it back and haven't had a problem since.

Grey wolf TT
Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #14

I give up!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
as I have said before....This is why we did not get an electric awning....I like to do it myself!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #16

No I agree!, its just it was part of the package, and its more of a cottage for us as we are seasonal, and the family basically moves in for the summer, and back to weekends for September! so it didn't mater if it stayed out while we were living there, but after next week ill need to close the awning, and that's going to be a nuisance to have to do it manually each weekend!, its supposed to be under this extended warranty I paid a hell of a lot more for, why not just replace the whole unit!!, I don't get it!
Old 03-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #17

Hi all, did anyone find a fix if any to this issue? Similar issue happening to our awning as well. Just over a year so warranty is out Also an LCI Solera Power Awning.

The awning would extend fine, but when we would try to retract, it would retract for a few inches, then stopped altogether. Extending would stop, and we would have to wait a few seconds for it to work again (extending). I was wondering if anyone has found a fix/remedy without having to replace the motor (if any).

We've replaced the power wires, greased the motor, checked the battery, plugged into shore power, and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
timothyjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #18

We have a Dometic awning on our LaCrosse 329BHT with the same exact issue. It got stuck out and had to be rolled up. We haven't taken it in yet because we live in CT and still have a ton of snow around the RV and have to wait for it to melt. I hope that it doesn't take too long for the repair, as we have a short camping season as it is up here in New England.

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Suspect you might have a bad ground or loose connection somewhere.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjay82 View Post
Hi all, did anyone find a fix if any to this issue? Similar issue happening to our awning as well. Just over a year so warranty is out Also an LCI Solera Power Awning.

The awning would extend fine, but when we would try to retract, it would retract for a few inches, then stopped altogether. Extending would stop, and we would have to wait a few seconds for it to work again (extending). I was wondering if anyone has found a fix/remedy without having to replace the motor (if any).

We've replaced the power wires, greased the motor, checked the battery, plugged into shore power, and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
I have the same problem and have seen similar complaints on several threads as well as other forums. I have spent have spent the day investigating LCI Solera awning on our 24' Wildwood. I've greased gears, lubed pivot points, checked awning alignment, and checked voltages. As I've studied the arms as it extends and retracts I'm almost convinced the gas struts are too strong. According to the research I've done they are 120 lbs. of force each. I got up on the roof to observe the alignment as it rolled in (it will roll in if I do it in short bursts so the overload doesn't overheat) and out. On a whim I tried rolling in in the wrong way (bottom on outside instead of top on the outside) and discovered the motor appears to have a lot more torque going that way.
Sprinter2x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, solera