Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Stained Glass Window (film)

I am fighting a war on two fronts:

1. Keeping the Georgia summer heat OUT of the RV
2. Making the RV a desirable place to sleep late or go to bed early by reduction of uncontrolled light getting in.

Among other things I replaced the cracked shower skylight bubble with the smoke tinted style rather than the clear. And that seems to help.

Then I turned my attention to the entry door window, which you can't see out of and serves only to let in light and heat. If tint works on the skylight it should work here, too.

I originally planned to use automotive type window tint film, but found it expensive and boring, with various uninteresting shades of black, grey and brown it would indeed keep heat and light out. And make the trailer seem like a portable dungeon.

So I looked at Home Depot and found this:

Artscape 24 in. x 36 in. Magnolia Decorative Window Film-01-0113 - The Home Depot

Cost $21 and will cover more than one RV door window (at least 2, maybe 3) and comes in several interesting patterns.

Install is a typical wet the film and glass with soapy water type install.

However, the inside part of the door glass has a textured finish to it and the film will not work well if at all on the textured glass. The outside is smooth. Therefore the glass must be turned around.

You'll need some sealant to seal up the window again and a razor blade to scrape all the old seal off the glass and frame. I recommend against the use of an electric screwdriver as the plastic frame seemed easy to strip out. Also recommend a helper since the 2 frame halves AND THE GLASS will fall right out once the last screw is removed. Extra hands will help especially during reassembly. Apply the window film per manufactures instructions while you have the glass out of the frame for the best looking results.

Sweet Wife likes the results. I like the reduction in heat and light. And everybody likes a happy camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0059.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	77645  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #2

That does looks beautiful! You did a great job & it's an awesome mod. We are actually up with the sun so don't need the trailer any darker.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Maris & Ken & Happy yellow lab campers,
Dexter & Stella
2016 Rockwood 2604WS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

This is a wonderful mod... and the reversing of the glass what a great fix to be able to use this film.
Thanks for sharing.
waianaegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

That is very sharp!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

We are usually up with the sun, but... some mornings I require a few more hours than normal and would like our windows blacked out for that occasion. Thought about Velcro and black leather right against the window. Can be removed easy. Any thoughts?
BRUCEANDCYNDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCEANDCYNDI View Post
We are usually up with the sun, but... some mornings I require a few more hours than normal and would like our windows blacked out for that occasion. Thought about Velcro and black leather right against the window. Can be removed easy. Any thoughts?
I cut pieces of Reflectix to size for the windows. I just slide the pieces between the day/night shades and the window. No fasteners needed and they hold in place well. They black out a room.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #7

Good Job! We did something similar and we also put the stained glass film on our skylight in the bathroom.

You can buy RV reflective window covers on amazon, cut to fit and they will slide right between your bedroom window. When in place, ours is dark as a tomb!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Mod- 004.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	79032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Mod- 005.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	79033  
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote