My foam handle cover was destroyed. I did a search and didn't find anything about this. I did find this mention of a "Foam Wrap", but not this product. I was less than impressed by that idea, even though it did seem like a simple fix.
I found this repair kit locally for $13.95.
Stromberg Carlson Foam Grip FP-1001-R for Lend-A-Hand step/stair handle.
It also included replacement bolts and springs which I didn't use because mine were in good shape. If you needed those items or just wanted to, I am sure re-assembly would easier than what I did.
The bar is removed by unscrewing 4 large phillips screws from the trailer wall. The black handle connectors have a pin with a spring held in place by a starlock sprung washer. I removed the washer with a pair of standard pliers by pulling toward the end then removed the pin and spring at the other end. (yes, some of this is obvious
I cleaned the bar and made sure there were no burrs of metal that might rip or tear the foam. Then I sprayed the inside of the foam with Simple Green as the "directions" (hardly) implied. I sprayed the bar with Simple Green and started working the foam on. I had my son use the air hose also, but that really didn't seem to do anything.
The way we found worked best was an inch worm technique sliding one end then the other holding/manipulating the foam on with a paper towel. Using bar hands just made for a lot of slipping and very little sliding of the foam itself. In 5 minutes the foam was in place.
It is definitely a lot like putting on bike hand grips only longer. . .
My suspicion was confirmed that the turns were more difficult. I chose to slide the foam in place on the end with 2 x 45 degree turns instead on the 1 x 90 degree turn. I cannot say for sure, but I believe I chose the easier path.
Reinstalling the ends on the bar would definitely be easier with the supplied bolts, but I wanted the original look of the pin. I used a half open pair of needle nose pliers to press down on the washer until it was back to approx 1/2" from the end as it started.
Maybe I was lucky, but the seal material (like plumbers putty or something) was in decent shape so I removed re-rolled it and reinstalled it.
Anyway, I think it turned out fine. It seems to be the exact material I once had. Age and a hailstorm did the old one in. I sprayed and rubbed the black mounts with Mother's Back to Black.
I hope this helps someone out there looking to fix this same issue.