Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #1

Cool Sun Screen Attachment for Awning

We're finding ourselves in the need to add a sun screen to our awning, Wolfpak 25/12. Didn't know if anyone has had good/bad experience, and what have you found that works best for you?

Thanks for any advise,
Scott
Eastern Shore 25pack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:58 AM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

We use this. It's been on for three years now with no issues. We like that it unzips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 AM   #3

We installed a Lippert Sun Shade on our last 5'er and it was a nice addition for hot summer trips. It was an easy installation and only downside to it was needing a high step stool or small step ladder to reach the last third of it to zip and unzip it to the main section.

One suggestion is verify you've got an awning roller tube channel to install it in before you order one. We'd love to have one on our current 5'er, but FR installed an awning roller tube with only one channel that's currently used for the awning fabric, so there's no way to install one without replacing our tube.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

Sun Screen Attachment for Awning

Another for shadepro. Has worked well for us and the bottom portion unzips if you need to roll up the awning for a storm etc.

We remove the upper portion prior to travel since it does make the awning stick out more when completely rolled up.

Picked it up for camping at a week long concert with virtually no shade. Stays much cooler behind the screen.

Also, as stated, make sure what you have on her awning for channels to make sure you have a slot for one like that to slide into.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #5

quick and dirty...

Harbor Freight mesh tarps available in several widths/sizes and attached to the awning tube end with rope and attached to ground with stakes...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #6

We have our trailer in a seasonal site. The awning faces south. We added a sunscreen which gave us double the shaded area along the trailer. Before the sun would shine back to the bottom of the steps. Now we have ~9' of shaded area. I tie it down to the edge on the deck. It also directs the water running off of the awning when it rains and keeps it from splashing on the deck. I leave it attached and roll it in and out with the awning.
The only negatives are; the sunscreen does not allow people to see in to the deck and it cuts down on the breezes across the deck.
Ours is black but another camper has one in an off white.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #7

Another vote for Shade Pro. You won't regret it.
Furrion Observation Camera
Goodyear Endurance Tires
dfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
We use this. It's been on for three years now with no issues. We like that it unzips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you roll your awning up with the top potion attached?
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #9
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
Do you roll your awning up with the top potion attached?
We do. The top portion has never been removed since we installed it.
I've read where the awning does not "fully" wind up if you leave the top portion in, but we've not had that problem.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
We do. The top portion has never been removed since we installed it.

I've read where the awning does not "fully" wind up if you leave the top portion in, but we've not had that problem.

On our 3051 forester we remove the top portion before traveling.

May be able to get away with not but it does stick out further when it is left on so I err on the side of caution.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #11

I vote Shade Pro. Been installed, continuously, for 8 years now on the 20' awning. The 4' section stays installed with a 6' zip on section stored in its bag. My awning does have the weather shield and haven't noticed any enlargement when rolled up. It does not cause or create any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mmnhg.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	276966  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:41 PM   #12

It looks like my awning doesn't have the channel. Are there any other options?
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:29 AM   #13

Quote:

Only option I know of is to replace your awning roller tube with one that has an extra channel for the shade.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #14

Wind

Here in the Rockies, wind makes these kinds of additions to the awining a liability. When the wind comes up, I need to be able to roll up the awning in a hurry.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Here in the Rockies, wind makes these kinds of additions to the awining a liability. When the wind comes up, I need to be able to roll up the awning in a hurry.

I saw on a facebook thread this morning where another Sabre owner attached his sun shade to his roller tube with velcro alone because he didn't have a spare channel in his awning tube for the shade. He also retracted the awning in a few inches enough that the top of the shade is sandwiched in between the awning and tube to help keep it in place.

But, I'm with you that sometimes while at the beach, thunderstorms and/or fierce winds can kick up at a moments notice. At that point, you have to roll up your awning as fast as possible, or risk it getting pulled off the side of the RV. I've had a sun shade on our previous 5'er and it does take a bit of extra time to get out a long stool or stepladder, unzip the top part of the shade, then un-stake the bottom part before retracting it in.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:04 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
See post # 5

Also, a friend of mine attached theirs with H/D Velcro. One half stuck to the roller tube and they tried to stick the other half to the screen without much success. They eventually took it to an upholstery place and had the other half sewn onto the screen.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
See post # 5

Also, a friend of mine attached theirs with H/D Velcro. One half stuck to the roller tube and they tried to stick the other half to the screen without much success. They eventually took it to an upholstery place and had the other half sewn onto the screen.

According to a person on facebook who's a member of a Sabre group I'm in, they too didn't have an awning tube channel in which to install the shade. They also used heavy duty Velcro attached to the top part of the shade and the roller tube. They simply retract the awning in a few inches before zipping up the bottom part of the shade. Once its been rolled up a bit, the Velcro end gets sandwiched in between the awning fabric and tube and doesn't move once they attach the bottom of the shade. Seems like too much work for me to put up and take down tho.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #18

Call Lippert and you want parts. Need the info off the tag on the awning roll tube. You probably have a edge slim. That what mine is. I talked to Lippert and they said that I can order a edge standard roll tube and it will have 3 grooves. And now I am changing the roll tube. Just happens need to replace the fabric. You will need the roll tube and the end caps. But you are looking at about $500 shipped to your house. Oh, and you need to measure center to center of the awning arms.
RRSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I vote Shade Pro. Been installed, continuously, for 8 years now on the 20' awning. The 4' section stays installed with a 6' zip on section stored in its bag. My awning does have the weather shield and haven't noticed any enlargement when rolled up. It does not cause or create any issues.
This looks like something I've been looking for. When i look on Amazon the top section looks much shorter. Was this a custom awning? Don't need a full drop just enough to block some sun. My fifth wheel awning sits pretty high up.
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:35 PM   #20

The Shade Pro is the one we are getting. The top section comes in 1 ft, 2 ft,3 ft,and 4 ft. We are getting the 4 ft one, making it 10 ft long. Look on Amazon. They have all 4 lengths and 3 or 4 colors.

2021 Arctic Wolf
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Gasser
RRSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning