Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #1

surveyor entry door binding

We have a 2017 Forest River Surveyor 293RLTS Fifth Wheel, and the entry door is binding, possibly out of square. Has anyone had this problem? had dealer look at it and they looked into replacing, but the door is discontinued. any suggestion would be welcome.
Cody CRAIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Is the unit still under warranty? If so then Surveyor should have a replacement that will fit in the opening.

If it's not under warranty then measure the rough opening and you can find a replacement that will fit the opening.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #3

surveyor entre door sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Is the unit still under warranty? If so then Surveyor should have a replacement that will fit in the opening.

If it's not under warranty then measure the rough opening and you can find a replacement that will fit the opening.
as I said I had the dealership repair shop look at it they suggested replacement, they said they got in touch with forest river and door is discontinued they suggested me measuring etc. and they would search to see if they could find a replacement. I just was wondering if there was any better suggestions from the group. I don't know what a job like removing the old door would involve and if it would be something I could do on my own.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #4

First, diagnose why, how and where its binding.

We had an issue with our entry door that it was rubbing a bit on the upper part of the doorjamb opposite of the hinges. I literally took a rubber mallet and "massaged" some more room. The door has worked flawlessly ever since.

The exterior bathroom door had a deadbolt that was tough to move and near impossible to click. In looking at the clearances, there simply wasn't enough room. The deadbolt was hitting the wall edge of the trailer. I shortened the deadbolt with a file to create more clearance. Now, the deadbolt works as it should with the key turning and clicking to its final stopping point.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
Site Team

If you're even moderately handy you can replace that door.

I'd suggest calling Surveyor directly and ask if they have a recommendation for a replacement door.

We've seen more than a few times where a dealer said one thing and the mfg. had never been contacted.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #6

QUESTION?

Is the door binding when you are sitting still and the jacks are down and the trailer is level in both side to side and front to back?

Sometimes during travel, if I try to enter the door, sometimes it binds... however once stopped, if I level up the trailer it never binds.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #7

thanks to all for replies. It is to top corner opposite the hinge side. I wondered if I could un screw that side of door frame and pry it up a bit that the curve at the top corner of the frame might not catch the door. I was afraid that frame might be glued as well as caulked and I might wreck the fiberglass siding. Has anyone removed a door?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Those doors are just caulked with butyl tape and screwed in. They may have another type caulk around them, but the removal process is the same. I've removed a couple of them and a bunch of windows.

The best way to remove them is to get a wide trim removal tool and remove the screws and take the trim tool and slide it under the flange cutting the caulking as you work around the frame.

If it's just rubbing on the frame corner, I'd take a rubber mallet and see if I could "massage" the corner of the frame a little out of the way before I removed the door.

Having said all that, I'd still be on the dealer and Surveyor to fix it if it's still under warranty. You shouldn't have to be dealing with it.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody CRAIG View Post
thanks to all for replies. It is to top corner opposite the hinge side. I wondered if I could un screw that side of door frame and pry it up a bit that the curve at the top corner of the frame might not catch the door. I was afraid that frame might be glued as well as caulked and I might wreck the fiberglass siding. Has anyone removed a door?
That's exactly where mine was rubbing.

Specifically, it was rubbing on the curved gutter portion that protrudes out from the wall.

My fix was to take a rubber mallet and hit that protruding edge a bit so that there was clearance between the gutter and swinging door. Prying would work but do whatever you can to protect the finish on the metal door frame.

I think removing the entire door assembly, you'd be opening a can of worms.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #10

thankyou for response I will definitely try the rubber mallet first and hope that will fix if not than will try prying up the frame after loosening caulking as suggested.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
ktc

If it's binding on the "curved gutter portion that protrudes out from the wall" as clarkbre mentioned, on my Leprechaun that is a separate piece. I had to replace the door after my daughter borrowed it and dragged the side down a gate post - the gutter was the easiest part of the job, although none of the door replacement was too bad.

Edit: I'm talking about the piece on the top of the door, not the actual door frame itself...
ktc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, surveyor