Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Topper Extending Problem

Hey ya'll, looking for some help.

Not sure how to explain this, but I have a new destination trailer that I had the dealer add some slide out toppers to.

I have exercised these several times without issue until today....today, my passenger side ( dinette, theater seats) toppers and my rear drivers side (entertainment center, pantry, ovens) toppers jumped the "fascia" of the slide out.

With the topper roll on the inside of the "fascia" of the slide out, the material was rippped as it slide across the top corner pieces of the slide.

I've never had slide toppers before, but I'm suspect it is a tension problem, but how do you adjust?

I wish I could say which brand, but there is nothing on them to indicate. The dealer is 850 miles away, so kinda inconvenient to take back.

Just looking for advice on 1) how to identify the brand that I have, 2) what adjustments I should make to keep this from happening again, 3) advice on dealing with a dealer add-on that has no mention of warranty on bill of sale. 4) any insights on replacing the canopy, it is pretty scarred from stretching across the corner pieces.

Yeah, feel like a dumas for not having him warranty his work, but can't change that now.

I was able to bring the slides about a 1/2 way in and able to jump back across the "fascia".

When fully extended, and inside the "fascia", the topper was bowed significantly from the middle.

The only other thing I can think that might be of consideration, these were put on in Ohio in 30 degree weather, and operated today in South Tennessee in mid 50 degree weather after unseasonably rainy weather.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
Sty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_143248_1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	194063   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_144257.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	194064   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_144325.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	194065  
Stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

From your 2nd photo there is something terribly wrong with the mounting of the roller tube.

It is supposed to sit a few inches on the outside of the slide flange and not on the inside.

Either the roller tube arms weren't installed correctly or something bent/broke.

You may need to call a mobile tech if you are not mechanically inclined.

Best of luck.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #3

Thanks, the roller tube was mounted outside the slide, but when I went to extend the slide, I believe tension caused it to jump across to the back side.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The arms/brackets have nothing to do with the tension of the fabric. That is accomplished by the counter spring inside the roller tube.

The only things I can think of that would have allowed the roller tube to jump to the back side of the slide flange would be 1. Improper installation of the arms/brackets. 2. The topper fabric being too short and coming to an end before the slide is completely out, thus pulling the tube back over the flange bending the arms. 3. Failure of the arms/brackets in some way. 4. The topper fabric channel installed too low on the side wall allowing the the topper fabric to rub on the slide flange during movement and snagging on the sharp corner of the slide flange. All of these not not normal.

Again, best of luck.
We've had slide toppers on many R/Vs and never experienced anything like what you've posted.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

Looks like to much tension. I don't have this kind but it also may be that the roller tube bracket ends are swapped (should arc away from side of RV). Just guessing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #6

I did a quick search of "slide topper jumped flange" and got a hit from 2016 from someone that experienced similar.

Called a couple of local service departments and one actually had a newer unit in with a similar problem. Unfortunately, they are booked and probably can't get to my unit until March.

So while rare, this is something that has happened to others before.

Contacted the dealer, he said they exercised the slides a handful of times after installing the toppers without issue, and I have exercised them at least a dozen times before this happened. He is pretty sure they are Dometic and he is going to see about the model number and warranty. He felt strongly that it wasn't an installation issue.

It was amazing how easy it was to jump back to the outside of the flange. I just had to bring the slide in a little to relieve some tension, pushed up on the roller tube lightly and it jumped across the flange back to its original location.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Please come back and let us know what you/they find.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
Hey ya'll, looking for some help.

Not sure how to explain this, but I have a new destination trailer that I had the dealer add some slide out toppers to.

I have exercised these several times without issue until today....today, my passenger side ( dinette, theater seats) toppers and my rear drivers side (entertainment center, pantry, ovens) toppers jumped the "fascia" of the slide out.

With the topper roll on the inside of the "fascia" of the slide out, the material was rippped as it slide across the top corner pieces of the slide.

I've never had slide toppers before, but I'm suspect it is a tension problem, but how do you adjust?

I wish I could say which brand, but there is nothing on them to indicate. The dealer is 850 miles away, so kinda inconvenient to take back.

Just looking for advice on 1) how to identify the brand that I have, 2) what adjustments I should make to keep this from happening again, 3) advice on dealing with a dealer add-on that has no mention of warranty on bill of sale. 4) any insights on replacing the canopy, it is pretty scarred from stretching across the corner pieces.

Yeah, feel like a dumas for not having him warranty his work, but can't change that now.

I was able to bring the slides about a 1/2 way in and able to jump back across the "fascia".

When fully extended, and inside the "fascia", the topper was bowed significantly from the middle.

The only other thing I can think that might be of consideration, these were put on in Ohio in 30 degree weather, and operated today in South Tennessee in mid 50 degree weather after unseasonably rainy weather.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
Sty

Check for a sheared screw or pin at the end of the round tube that attaches the roller mechanism to the outside of the slide. This allowed the roller tube to rotate and flip the roller to the inside. This may have been because the screw/pin was either too soft, too small or too short and it broke off.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #9

Thanks rracer5, we will look at it. My fingers are crossed that some screws were sacrificed to protect from any other damage.