Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #1

Exclamation Total Awning Replacement

So it happened to me. Set up awning and a rain storm came in and totally killed my awning. Winding tube bent, extenders bent and broken. Even the fabric was ripped. Need a total replacement. Totally my fault for 1) not putting it up and 2) not tilting enough.

I will probably go with a standard Dometic 9000 series manual version. We liked our last one which was just the factory. Not interested in power ones.

Here is the question. In purchasing one it asks about standard and heavy duty hardware. It also asks about long or short mounting. I have looked on the web site of both the manufacturer and dealers and can not find anything describing these two options. Also any one have experience if the weather guard cover actually works? The old awning, without the guard was always wet, smelled and moldy.

Does anyone know anything about these or have any advice on replacement? The good news is that insurance will cover after my $500 deductible. I just need to get one quote from my RV dealer (who I am sure will quote a really high price!).

Ed

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #2

Are you positive you are looking at the main awning and not slide topper. The reason I ask is because the term long or short and heavy duty in my experience refer to hardware for a slide topper. If you are having a dealer install and want the manual awning just ensure they install that.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

No it's under the part of the website for full awnings. I know it is not slide out.

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

Manual Awning

I just had to replace the rear arms on a 21 foot 9100. Dealer did not want to replace it with a 9000 manual which I really would have preferred. DO IT!

The repair would have cost $1100 but extended warranty (not factory) took care if the repair. Purchase price for the 9000 would have been around $1400 and been a much sturdier product in my book. Labor might have added a fortune though. I feel lucky to have at least recovered some of the expense off the extra warranty.

Damage was caused by a ridiculously small "puff" of wind on a calm day while at home in the side yard between two oak trees and neighbor house. Arm got lifted I guess and hit the end of the slip joint bending the large outer arm in two places causing it to not close all the way when folded.

Sad! I like shade. Get the 9000.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, replacement