Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

Trimark T507 Replacement Entry Door Lock Doesn't Quite Fit

Our entry door latch was hitting the strike plate hard when closing, requiring you to hold the handle open a bit when closing it from either the inside or the outside. I found a broken plastic part sitting inside the door lock mechanism that is supposed to hold the latch open a bit more so it can slide open on impact, then snap closed. The lock mechanism is sealed so that part can't be inserted back in, at least that I could see. So, I am replacing the whole mechanism.

This is the replacement which looks identical to what we have now. It is the Trimark T507 entry door lock with deadbolt, which is a standard RV industry item: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On installation, the new assembly fits perfectly with one exception. The deadbolt locking cylinder is attached to a metal plate that rotates with the key. The deadbolt is attached by a long piece of metal that hooks into a protruding hole on the metal plate. The rotation of that plate opens and closes the deadbolt by converting the rotating action to linear motion of the metal connector. There are two other protruding holes on the plate that appear to have no function. Those two other protrusions block installing the assembly unless the deadbolt is in the open position. In the open position, the assembly fits right into the slot (literally by a hair). However, the deadbolt cannot be locked because the two non-functioning protrusions his the metal of the door that is built around the lock opening.

There appear to be three options: (1) cut off the two unused protrusions from the deadbolt rotating lock plate; (2) cut a small slot into the metal of the door (it's a cross plate that runs from the inside metal to the outside metal so would not cut into either the interior or exterior metal plating; or (3) try to find a different assembly by contacting Trimark which I cannot do until next week.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Here are the photos:

1. Old assembly showing deadbolt assembly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4378.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	154200

2. New assembly showing deadbolt assembly with the protruding holes on the rotating plate:

Name:	IMG_4379.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	154202

3. Showing how assembly does not fit when deadbolt is open:

Name:	IMG_4380.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	154203

4. Showing how assembly fits when deadbolt is closed:

Name:	IMG_4381.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	154204

5: Showing how protruding holes hit the inside metal plate when attempting to lock deadbolt:

Name:	IMG_4382.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	154205
Old 10-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #2

Well guess what? I figured out how to slip that plastic piece back in and sure enough the door closes properly now. BUT, it keeps working its way back out and will obviously fail again. So - any ideas how to get this sucker to stay in place? I mean, I would glue it but plastic to metal is dicey and the whole area is covered with light grease.

Name:	IMG_4384.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	154209

Name:	IMG_4385.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	154210
Old 10-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

I had the same problem changing out my lock recently in my Sunseeker. I ended up cutting off the protrusions and had no problem fitting it in place after that.

(Sold)2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

TOADs: Honda CRV and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4 x 4
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood90 View Post
I had the same problem changing out my lock recently in my Sunseeker. I ended up cutting off the protrusions and had no problem fitting it in place after that.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:10 AM   #5

Trimark T507 Replacement Entry Door Lock Doesn't Quite Fit

Using a spare sliding cover for a battery box from some device that has left this world - and a Dremel tool - I fashioned a shim to insert to hold the white plastic piece in place. I had to make slots for the holding 'nibs' as well as a long slot for the point that sticks into the slot from the opposite cover of the lock when put back together. Here's what it looks like.

A. The piece to be covered.

Name:	IMG_4385.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	154250

B. Starting point.

Name:	IMG_4387.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	154251

C. Progress.

Name:	IMG_4388.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	154252

D. Fitting.

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	154253

E. Fine tuning.

Name:	IMG_4391.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	154254

F. Video of the final in action (if Dropbox asks you to login or create an account, just close that box and click the arrow to start the video).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nl6hacx330...%20PM.mov?dl=0
Old 10-15-2017, 05:19 AM   #6

Looks good! I forgot to add that I only had to take off one of the protrusions with a dremel cutoff tool to make it fit and works well. I didn't have to remove both.

(Sold)2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

TOADs: Honda CRV and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4 x 4
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #7

I would consider that a temporary fix only. Trimark owes you a whole new lock assembly. I’v been locked inside my 2015 GT twice. Both times it was the plastic wedge that failed preventing the slide bolt from retracting. Trimark claims they are unaware of any problems, but I know of about a dozen such failures reported on this forum. Just imagine a child trapped inside! I now keep a Phillips screw driver inside for just this issue. BTW - I did report this to the NHTSB via their web site, which we all need to do in these types of situations. Happy camping.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
TARVIDSON

Trimark junk

It seems strange that Trimark keeps building that crap and the RV companies keep buying them. I've replaced two and know others that have also. $90 for junk is irritating!
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
woodguy

Trimark Motorhome locks

One of you posted that TriMark was not aware of the white nylon member failing, over and over and over. I have had a conversation with TriMark about this very thing this past summer. They are very aware of its failure. Call JoAnne Bozowiak @ 847.229.1741. She is with TriMark I spoke with her about this problem and they were going to have me talk with engineering. Understand, Tri Mark does not manufacture this product. They market it to the RV industry. If we all beat up on them perhaps they will get the picture they are marketing a faulty product, that as mentioned earlier, is a safety issue. Strange that a 20cent piece can bring down a $100,000+ motorhome.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamqcp View Post
One of you posted that TriMark was not aware of the white nylon member failing, over and over and over. I have had a conversation with TriMark about this very thing this past summer. They are very aware of its failure. Call JoAnne Bozowiak @ 847.229.1741. She is with TriMark I spoke with her about this problem and they were going to have me talk with engineering. Understand, Tri Mark does not manufacture this product. They market it to the RV industry. If we all beat up on them perhaps they will get the picture they are marketing a faulty product, that as mentioned earlier, is a safety issue. Strange that a 20cent piece can bring down a $100,000+ motorhome.
Thanks for the tip - I did call JoAnne and while she was friendly and helpful, she does not work for Trimark. She works for a company that supplies Trimark replacement parts, and it sounds like not to consumers. She is going to advise Trimark of this issue of the replacements not fitting and ask the Trimark representative to call me.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
Senior Members

Door to motor home will not open....

We have a 2015 3010DS and yesterday I went to the storage and opened the motor home door and went inside and closed the door. I checked some things inside and when I went to leave through the door, the door handle would not release the door to open so I had to go through one of the cab doors. Either inside or outside I could not get the motor home door to open with the handles. Has anyone experienced the same thing? It is like the door is jammed and will not release when I pull on the handles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch & Lena View Post
We have a 2015 3010DS and yesterday I went to the storage and opened the motor home door and went inside and closed the door. I checked some things inside and when I went to leave through the door, the door handle would not release the door to open so I had to go through one of the cab doors. Either inside or outside I could not get the motor home door to open with the handles. Has anyone experienced the same thing? It is like the door is jammed and will not release when I pull on the handles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You should be able to remove the handle from the inside with a Phillips screwdriver. Then you may be able to see what is broken or jammed. Post pictures if more help is needed. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #13

Please read the previous entries on this thread. Lots of us have had the same problem. While Trimark refuses to acknowledge the problem, I recommend you file a complaint on the NHTSB web site.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch & Lena View Post

Please refer to this post for a NHTSA recall on the door lock where people were trapped inside:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1649575
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood90 View Post

It turns out I do have to replace the door lock assembly despite my best effort to repair it. There is something wrong with the locking mechanism that occasionally sticks and the key will not operate. I spoke with Trimark directly, and the assembly with three "ears" is not the correct replacement for the unit that we have. The assembly with only one "ear" is still available. It is the same model number, but a different sub-assembly number (29412–13). It is available directly from Trimark. If you only need the lock assembly, you do not have to purchase the inside handle component. The replacement is $125. Trimark can be reached directly regarding replacement parts in trouble shooting at 1800–431–8616 or locally in Iowa at 641–394–4619.

I also filed an NHTSA complaint for the broken component of the door lock. However, I did note on the NHTSA website that they do not investigate complaints that did not create safety problems. For a Class A RV that has only one entry door, a failure of the locking mechanism could trap people inside which could cause personal injury or death in the event of an accident or fire. In Class C units, there are generally two other doors that could be used to exit the vehicle. Even so, NHTSA might consider this a safety issue if it delays emergency exit from the vehicle.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
Senior Members

Thank you for the information. I will be ordering a replacement today.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Old 10-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #17
Senior Members

We received our new door lock yesterday and I installed it in a half hour, no problems, works great. Thanks again for the info on ordering, much appreciated!

Old 10-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #18

I have a 2015 3011 Forester and I just replaced my door handle for the second time, they don’t last long.

The first time it took us quite a while to figure out how to get the door open. We removed the inside handle then with needle nose pliers gripped the broken portion of the latch and pulled it while someone from the outside helped open the door.

The second time I knew exactly what happened so we got it open in a matter of minutes. I removed the latch then replaced the handle and used the deadbolt to keep the door closed until I ordered my new door handle.

It seems like this would be considered a safety issue and I’m surprised the faulty mechanism hasn’t been recalled or at least updated. I think they’re selling the same product so it’s just a matter of time before this one breaks.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #19
Senior Members

We are very careful now when we close or open the door. We hold the latch open when closing or opening the door. Hopefully that will prevent what happened to our first door lock.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #20

I agree, this should be a safety recall, my 2014 Forester reciently failed. Think about trying to get out in a panic fire situation. I had one generated on my first Sprinter van, converted by Gulfstream.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lock, replacement