Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #21
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
And it seems the OP is not seeking answers, one hit wonder. Joined to post a question and never came back online since 8/13. Maybe he got locked out and was never seen again.
I'm glad you caught that.

My 2020 No-Bo has a Lippert Door & Frame with friction hinges. My problem was that the folks that assembled the door and frame missed a few steps. First, they didn't mortise the door frame to let the latches fully extend (and lock). Next, they used the wrong strike plate on the door frame and the door scrapes the strike plate and its round head screws. Neither Lippert nor Forest River has offered me a fix.
I too have to slam the door to get it to latch and when it got over 90 degrees, the door was nearly impossible to open due to the same problem. I'm going to jury rig it when I have the time.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
On my new 2021 FR TT the door still had shipping wedges packed between the screen door and outside door at the bottom. They are supposed to be removed. They apparently are easy to miss during dealer prep and during PDI.
We had the same thing on our TT, closed alot easier once removed.
cbty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:43 PM   #23

Quote:
And it seems the OP is not seeking answers, one hit wonder. Joined to post a question and never came back online since 8/13. Maybe he got locked out and was never seen again.
Or locked in!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Maybe they left because no one answered his question. Instead they told everyone about their issues and gave information on things that had nothing to do with his question. Being fairly new to this forum I've noticed that often...the question doesn't get answered, posters seem to like to tell their own issues and stories and it wanders off course. Don't judge the OP. Look in the mirror.
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsriding View Post
Maybe they left because no one answered his question. Instead they told everyone about their issues and gave information on things that had nothing to do with his question. Being fairly new to this forum I've noticed that often...the question doesn't get answered, posters seem to like to tell their own issues and stories and it wanders off course. Don't judge the OP. Look in the mirror.
Hmmmm... I read at least a dozen posts of folks with similar problems telling how they fixed it that had everything to do with his question. I was one of those posters who advised how the steps could bind on door, as an example. But the OP has not looked at this thread or been on the forum since he posted his question, so he'll never be able to advise whether or not any of the suggestions worked. And yes, you will get answers that are not terribly relevant here sometimes. Typical internet age human nature, everyone wants to blurt out their own experience, relevant or not.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Hmmmm... I read at least a dozen posts of folks with similar problems telling how they fixed it that had everything to do with his question. I was one of those posters who advised how the steps could bind on door, as an example. But the OP has not looked at this thread or been on the forum since he posted his question, so he'll never be able to advise whether or not any of the suggestions worked. And yes, you will get answers that are not terribly relevant here sometimes. Typical internet age human nature, everyone wants to blurt out their own experience, relevant or not.
Hi thanks here is the question Does anyone know how to adjust the friction hinges so we don't have to slam the door to close?
I may have missed the answer but I don't see an answer to that question on how to adjust the friction hinges. Did I miss it? . I see a lot of other things but no answer on how to adjust the friction hinges. and FYI you don't have to come back on here to see the posts. I can see the replies on my email without coming on here. You just can't reply from there.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #27

Quote:
I read no fewer than 7 different suggestions so far. All we can do is make suggestions we can't give him 5 specific steps to do that will be guaranteed to fix his problem.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I read no fewer than 7 different suggestions so far. All we can do is make suggestions we can't give him 5 specific steps to do that will be guaranteed to fix his problem.
Must be me...sorry He asked how does he adjust the friction hinges..... not "is anyone having any type of issue with their doors". I guess I don't understand forums. I thought he would get an answer to "how do I adjust the friction hinges"? But no... lots of other people who have their own issues... no answer to his. If you can show me 7 answers that say how to adjust the friction hinges I will humbly apologize.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #29

I had a similar problem with the door of my Rockwood 2109S. After a lot of head scratching I found the trailer frame had split due to faulty factory welds. The MiniLite frames are thin gauge fabricated I-Beams. Check your frame out thoroughly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Crack.png
Views:	67
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	261752  
LWM707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #30

Take a good look at the door latch

I have no idea how these get out of whack, but they do. I've seen the following: screw heads interfering with latch, latch not positioned properly, latch cutout preventing latch from postiioning properly.

a. if the screws that hold the strike plate are not driven far enough, they will interfere with the latch. You'll see witness marks on the door latch.

b. If the latch is positioned wrong, the latch may not engage positively before the door interferes. You SHOULD be able to loosen the screws and move the latch slightly to find the sweet spot between positive engagement without slamming, and door sealing.

c. I replaced my striker with one for an electronic lock. I couldn't get the thing to engage without slamming. I removed the striker plate and messed about with it and discovered that the cutout in the metal door jamb was interfering with the ability to postition the striker plate properly. Worked the square cutout with a mini grinder and was able to position the striker properly with the same screws and screw holes. It was only THEN, I REALIZED that the shape of the striker plate, which serves to help position it in the cutout, was part of the problem. Instead of all that grinding, I found if I just bent the little rectangular "tab" that drops into the cutout a little bit, I would have been able to reposition it without all the grinding (would've been way simpler).

just my experiences
Steve W indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Not uncommon. folks have a problem and ask for help, they find a solution and don't let us know.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Must be me...sorry He asked how does he adjust the friction hinges..... not "is anyone having any type of issue with their doors". I guess I don't understand forums. I thought he would get an answer to "how do I adjust the friction hinges"? But no... lots of other people who have their own issues... no answer to his. If you can show me 7 answers that say how to adjust the friction hinges I will humbly apologize.
I stand corrected, you are absolutely right! Although post #29 was a possible real cause of why the friction hinges would need to be adjusted. Sometimes it is better to look for a root cause rather than just treating the symptom.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #33
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I had a similar problem but the cause was not the the hinges. Sill plate for one was messed up and 2 the steps where installed incorrectly where the sill plate would not lay flat causeing door to rub at bottom right corner. While at the rally I had lipit install easy life system steps had to be removed and found that a top part to the sill should have been removed and the steps when reinstalled had to be pushed up flush with the threshold. Also Coachman came by and adjust door jam. Once finished the door closes so much better and yes it take a little pressure to close these type doors due to the friction door hinges. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #34

My 2020 Greywolf is doing the same thing since the dealer removed the door to replace the fridge. They took it back out and reinstaled it. The bottom 10 inches doesn't even touch on the seal, you can see daylight. It hits on the top left and scrapes on the stairs. I removed the screw from the bottom of the door to stop that. It opens and closes OK morning and night, but you can barely operate it mid day even when the door is in the shade. Ya gotta love FR, NOT! Now I need another fridge. I've had this TT for 2 years and gave yet to enjoy a trip with no major failures of the unit. If isn't the fridge, it's the awning or the water tank falling out. On third mattress, they last about 2 nights before going flat as a board!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Apparently there are a hundred different signature models, I assume you have the fold down staircase. If not adjusted so threshold plate is flat and flush with threshold, you will bust up your door. Hopefully this is not the case.
Thank you! Our door has been tough to close too. Today I tried it with the steps folded up and it closed easily. Apparently I have had the steps just a bit higher than they should be. I adjusted them lower and now the door closes easily even with the steps down.
2021: 26 nights 2022: 26 nights 2023: 24 nights
SRP09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:46 AM   #36

Quote:
There is nothing to “adjust.” They are riveted or screwed in place, and get bent (see my earlier post} if not lubricated (see other post). The only fix is to replace if bent.
The OP’s question revealed a basic lack of knowledge of the situation, and many of us tried to help, with specific answers to solve his problem.
BikeFlagAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:56 AM   #37

Quote:
The thing is, however, friction hinges cannot be "adjusted". There's nothing to "adjust". So in that instance, people will often offer other options. It's the nature of the beast. That's how forums work. It's how they have always worked.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:02 AM   #38
Happycamper

Quote:
Forums are forums. They are just people talking. Remember the old adage, put 10 people in a circle and whisper something to the first, and by the time it gets around, the topic will completely change. So I will just say it. There is no adjustment to the hinges themselves. Should I post this 7 times??? Just kidding of course. See, I am guilty of random rambling on.....
fkovach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door