Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

Weather Pro Awning

A few months ago I had the unique problem of my Weather Pro Awning on my Georgetown retracting when I started the generator. After searching the web ; calling the dealer etc. nobody else had this happen. It has to be something to do with the way the awning and generator are wired to the batteries. This somehow causes power surge/drain and the awning automatically retracts when this happens. Today I set out to solve this. I noticed that the control box inside the storage compartment has constant power to it even when the disconnect switch is off. Probably wired directly to the battery so the awning can be retracted regardless of the switch being on.
I installed a 12 volt on/off switch in line with the 12 volt power lead to the control box. I installed the switch near the disconnect switch in the stairwell. Now I can turn off the power to the awning and it can't retract when I start the generator. Another asset is I can turn it off while in storage and prevent another parasitic drain on the batteries. Of course I'll have to remember that this overides the wind sensor; but it will sure be nice to use the generator without the awning rolling up.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

That seems strange. Sounds like you solved the problem.
We've never had any issues with the awning other than a Beeping sound from the box. The first year we had it my daughter came home early in the morning around 1:30 AM, it was 2 degrees outside, woke me up and said there's a beeping coming from the motorhome. So I got out of my nice warm bed and went outside to freeze my butt off trying to find the source of the beep. It wasn't real loud but noticeable. Once I opened the compartment door and switched off the wind sensor for the awning from inside it stopped. I figured frost must have created the problem. Once the weather got warmer I switched it back on and have not had any problems since.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #3

We have never had this issue either but have had our awning roll itself up due to low temperature while at the beach last year. I don't know for sure if ours is attached directly to the batteries on our rig or not. I do know that with the amp meter attached to the system I am only recording around .1 amp draw with the LPG detector turned off so I don't really think the awning is drawing anything if it is connected. I will have to go check on that.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #4

Weather Pro Awning

I agree; a strange occurrence. My awning doesn't have a way to turn it off on the control box; all I can do from there is to change the wind sensor speed from 12mph to 24mph. I can turn off the wind sensor by using the remote control; however the awning always has 12 volt power being fed to it. When the awning retracted; it was in the middle of summer so the cold had nothing to do with it. I wish there was an explanation as to what is really happening; but no one seems to be able to figure it out. As we all know technology is great when it works the way it should; but becomes a real pain when it doesn't.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #5

mine is constant to 12 volts as well, so its not just forest river.
its probably in case your out camping and its extended, and someone shuts off the batteries, the awning can still roll up in case of wind

I hate mine, its a pain in the tail.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
I agree; a strange occurrence. My awning doesn't have a way to turn it off on the control box; all I can do from there is to change the wind sensor speed from 12mph to 24mph. I can turn off the wind sensor by using the remote control; however the awning always has 12 volt power being fed to it. When the awning retracted; it was in the middle of summer so the cold had nothing to do with it. I wish there was an explanation as to what is really happening; but no one seems to be able to figure it out. As we all know technology is great when it works the way it should; but becomes a real pain when it doesn't.
Were you plugged into power at the time? If not I wonder if it is set to put itself away at a certain battery voltage level so that you don't get stuck in a situation where you can't get the awning back in due to low voltage. I'll have to go back and look over the instructions. I wouldn't put it past them as I myself would never have thought of the low temperature feature.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 03-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

Weathro Pro Awning

I wasn't plugged in, but I have solar panels and 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries. The batteries were fully charged. The only thing I can think of is that the generator causes a draw on the system that sets off the auto retract on the awning. The funny thing is that it doesn't do it everytime; but 90 percent of the time.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
I wasn't plugged in, but I have solar panels and 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries. The batteries were fully charged. The only thing I can think of is that the generator causes a draw on the system that sets off the auto retract on the awning. The funny thing is that it doesn't do it everytime; but 90 percent of the time.
With 2 batteries your generator may be drawing enough amps to cause a "low voltage" situation and trigger the automatic stow of the awning. This would be my best guess. It would only take a millisecond at a low enough voltage to trigger the electronics to start it rolling up while you are starting the generator.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #9

Weathro Pro Awning

That's what I think; but There should be others having the same problem. Everytime I see an awning like mine I ask the owner if they ever had this happen and haven't found one yet.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
That's what I think; but There should be others having the same problem. Everytime I see an awning like mine I ask the owner if they ever had this happen and haven't found one yet.
Yeah you're right but so many RVrs only use hookups and then it would be a non issue. Others may have never started their generator with the awning out. Myself, I have 6 batteries so it's doubtful that I could replicate the scenario. It is definitely interesting though.
www.nwjeepn.com

Tags
awning