Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Well I've gone and done it, dang.

I've had my 2011 Surveyor SP293 for about 2 1/2 years. I've taken it out on many trips and have not had any major problems until this morning. I'm down here at Gulf Shores SP for some business. I got to the site and got set up. After I concluded my board meeting yesterday I came back to the site and lowered the awning since we had a slight rain and I wanted to be outside. As usual, I tilted the awning like I usually do, one end being two notches lower than the other.

This morning I woke up, started coffee, and raised the shades. To my dismay I see that my 20 ft. awning has a severe bow right smack in the middle. I went outside to see what was causing the deformity. Duh its water you big dummy I said to myself. My first thought was to lower the awning even more to allow the water to drain. Big mistake. The weight of the water pooled in the middle caused the rail to slide out of my hand and slam down against the stop. After I collected my wits, I inspected the aluminium tube and discovered that it had actually cracked and bent down creating the bow. I'm sure that created and even deeper depression for water to collect.

I managed to get the awning to roll back up, but every revolution it made I could feel the break point weaken even more until it is now probably broken in two pieces. I've got the rails secured for traveling. However I'm sure that the bouncing up and down the road will cause the sharp ends of the aluminium to cut, gouge, or otherwise damage the awning fabric. Won't know for sure until I get it back to my dealer.

Lesson learned. Two notches of tilt isn't enough.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Always Learning

When I first started RV'ing in my pop-up, I'd wander around the campground shaking my head at all of the people who couldn't hang an awning right. One side was always higher than the other.

Not mine- mine was carpenter level. It was beautiful.

And then it stormed in Cape May, NJ and that awning pooled water like nobody's business! I also tried to lower the awning by hand and luckily didn't lose a finger as the poles slide into each other.

Bent the snizzy out of the awning. The parts to replace would cost as much as a new awning itself. Never did repair or replace it, but my step-bro did when he bought the camper from me the next year.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Always Learning

So, long story short - you've got company. Only yours wasn't karma rearing her ugly head at you!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

I hit this forum at least once a week and read through as many posts as my time will allow. I've learned sooooo much. Now I can add to the collective knowledge base and hopefully my dumb luck/inexperience will save the next camper some heartache.

Fortunately my dealer is awesome and I know the work will be done with excellent craftsmanship. Yea, it's dollars out of my pocket that could be used for the next camping trip, but into each life a little rain must fall. Was that a pun? I didn't mean it.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

There is a fix for the broken or bent tube.
MX57 (*Single unit) - MX57
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mx57_b__31719_1260850438_1280_1280.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	35105  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #6

I fear that this won't work. The point at which the aluminum failed was crushed due to the weight. Think of a straw that has been bent, snapped and both ends are smashed closed.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
When I first started RV'ing in my pop-up, I'd wander around the campground shaking my head at all of the people who couldn't hang an awning right. One side was always higher than the other.

Not mine- mine was carpenter level. It was beautiful.

And then it stormed in Cape May, NJ and that awning pooled water like nobody's business! I also tried to lower the awning by hand and luckily didn't lose a finger as the poles slide into each other.

Bent the snizzy out of the awning. The parts to replace would cost as much as a new awning itself. Never did repair or replace it, but my step-bro did when he bought the camper from me the next year.
LOL, Our first trip with our first ever RV, did the same thing. We were so proud that our new RV didn't have a slumping to one side awning.
Big storm, no problem, we'll just go inside and stay dry....until the next door neighbor dragged us out in the pouring rain to try and save the awning....but alas, it was too late....cracked off the TT from the weight of the water that couldn't drain.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Campin' in Canada

We did it too, a few weeks into owning our trailer last year, we left the awning out all night...it wasn't supposed to rain? Never trust a weatherman! lol 21' pole bent completely down and came crashing down to the deck. Got it replaced and it came in just under $1000 (Canada eh? haha) After watching tweedle dee and tweedle dumber change it out, I could have done it better myself, but when you aren't sure?? Big mistake, got it fixed, got over it (finally) and now we NEVER leave it out at night...EVER! lol

ParkManCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grb2980 View Post
I fear that this won't work. The point at which the aluminum failed was crushed due to the weight. Think of a straw that has been bent, snapped and both ends are smashed closed.
Understand, but you can straighten it out at the crush points and work out the dents, file the sharp edges, insert the re-enforcement and pop rivet. Or find another bent one and cut a section of tubing out and fill in what you have to cut. The re-enforcements are 8'. Sure beat buying a new tube or awning, plus you can diy.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
There is a fix for the broken or bent tube.
MX57 (*Single unit) - MX57

Is this another of your inventions, OC?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Is this another of your inventions, OC?
Sorry to say it isn't. Learned about it on this forum. I think Herk posted it a year or so ago.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #12

I've done it too. In our popup in a flooding down pour. We even had it sloped, but not enough. It collapsed at 1am trapping the door closed. We didn't replace it. We have an auto awing on our new TT. I'll roll that bad boy in if WX is that bad again.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Site Team

I was cooking under my awning recently (electric awning) during a light rain. So proud that I was nice and dry, the fish was frying up pretty and then ......................wham - dump - splash! The "self dumping" anwing had built up a load of water in the center, then one arm lowered, dumped the rain and popped right back up. I was afraid something was ruined but a neighbor told me it was supposed to do that. Duh! Who knew?

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Would rather tilt the awning at least 8"-10" than depend on the "self dumping" feature that doesn't work all the time.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Better to just replace the tube.
Why have an ugly patched-up awning?
And unless you did it yourself, hacking together the old one would cost more than a brand new tube.
Have you checked to see if your insurance might cover it?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Unless the awning material is torn, the only thing visible is where the tubes meet where it is exposed on the bottom and it is a lot stronger than a regular tube. Cost is around $150-$175 for the reinforcement.

Need to watch the video of an actual repair.http://www.megax57.com/products/MX57...e-unit%29.html
Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #17

Since it just happened this morning, I haven't had a chance to get a quote for repair, hence I don't know if insurance is an option. My deductible is $1000. Anybody out there know what replacing the tube will cost? Unless the awning fabric tears during the trip home, 190 miles, that should be the only thing that needs replacing.

Anybody have a real life cost on this?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Unless the awning material is torn, the only thing visible is where the tubes meet where it is exposed on the bottom and it is a lot stronger than a regular tube. Cost is around $150-$175 for the reinforcement.

Need to watch the video of an actual repair.MX57 (*Single unit) - MX57

Ok OC, you win. I can't spend all day on this site like you do.
You always want the last word, so I concede.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Since it just happened this morning, I haven't had a chance to get a quote for repair, hence I don't know if insurance is an option. My deductible is $1000. Anybody out there know what replacing the tube will cost? Unless the awning fabric tears during the trip home, 190 miles, that should be the only thing that needs replacing.

Anybody have a real life cost on this?
I had the same problem, (numerous rain storms) until the tube finally bent in half. I bought a new roller tube and fabric (21 ft) online. Didn't notice the arms weren't included, so now I have a 21 ft roller tube and awning fabric for sale. The cost was $700 without the arms. I had a friend whose camper got flooded, so he basically parted out the Rv. I picked up his 21 ft awning for the smoking price of "4 cases of bud light!" I figure I would sell the new tube and fabric for $500. It's an A&E, if anyone's interested. Shipping would be a killer though, it's gotta go freight or be picked up in northern Wisconsin.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #20

I feel your pain. Did the same thing a few years ago it rained during the night water collected on top of the fabric. The next morning I could not open the door of the camper to get outside. By the time I got the door open so I could get out the tube broke and dumped the water. My wife thought the TT was going to turn over. My insurance did cover it less the deductible.
buckster is offline   Reply With Quote