Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #1

Windjammer awning

The awning on our 2015 Windjammer 3008 seems to have a sag in the middle when rolled up. Talked to dealer and they said that only way to stop it is to use a center bracket and awning warranty won't cover it. Is this a normal thing to happen. Awning is never out with wind or rained on.
It also makes the bang noise on front arm when taking it out like others have posted.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
The awning on our 2015 Windjammer 3008 seems to have a sag in the middle when rolled up. Talked to dealer and they said that only way to stop it is to use a center bracket and awning warranty won't cover it. Is this a normal thing to happen. Awning is never out with wind or rained on.
It also makes the bang noise on front arm when taking it out like others have posted.
The awning on our 2014 Windjammer 3008 is so long (18 or 20 feet) that it does the same thing...has a little bit of a sag in the center of the roller when retracted. But we've towed our trailer probably close to 25,000 miles in about 25 states, without any problems. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

I thought I had a picture but will get one when we go back up to the trailer. It has the metal cover on it if that makes any difference. I really don't like that it sags and can't see how it can be good for it.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

Ours does not have the metal cover (nor the LED light strip...it was an early 2014, before those things were added), but as I said, we've not had an issue with it.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #5

X2. Ours also has a slight sag when rolled up but have never had a problem with it. Pulled it on a 14000 mile trip to Alaska last summer and about 6000 other miles since we bought it in 2013. Our awning is 21 feet long and I would expect some sag when supported only by the ends.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I thought I had a picture but will get one when we go back up to the trailer. It has the metal cover on it if that makes any difference. I really don't like that it sags and can't see how it can be good for it.
If you want to spend some serious $, you can fix it with an MX57 bar inserted inside the tube. http://www.megax57.com/products/MX57...e-unit%29.html
Old 06-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you want to spend some serious $, you can fix it with an MX57 bar inserted inside the tube. MX57 (*Single unit) - MX57
Ha ha that would do it all right. How do those center brackets work that the dealer mentioned I should try?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Ha ha that would do it all right. How do those center brackets work that the dealer mentioned I should try?
They will not straighten the tube, just keep in like it is.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #9

I'm going to have to try something cause it unrolls and rolls up different than it used to. The motor is struggling with it.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I'm going to have to try something cause it unrolls and rolls up different than it used to. The motor is struggling with it.
You probably need to center the material on the tube and pop rivet it in place so it can't move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	81241  
Old 06-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
You probably need to center the material on the tube and pop rivet it in place so it can't move.
That's interesting I'm going to push for warranty on this but if not then will be looking at what you have done.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

QUOTE=Carrier;905947]That's interesting I'm going to push for warranty on this but if not then will be looking at what you have done.[/QUOTE]

If you are talking warranty on the bow, good luck as it is the nature of the brutes that long. As for the material shifting, the dealer MIGHT fix it, but I have my doubts. BTW, it is difficult unless you have 2 people on ladders, but it can be done by yourself IF you are determined. [
Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:
QUOTE=Carrier;905947]That's interesting I'm going to push for warranty on this but if not then will be looking at what you have done.
If you are talking warranty on the bow, good luck as it is the nature of the brutes that long. As for the material shifting, the dealer MIGHT fix it, but I have my doubts. BTW, it is difficult unless you have 2 people on ladders, but it can be done by yourself IF you are determined. [[/QUOTE]

The dealer is pretty good but we will see. They said that the awning oem will only put center bracket on awnings that are longer than mine but say its not needed for the one I have. Funny that this has only happened since we have put the trailer on a seasonal site.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #14

usually the fabric is stapled to the bead and the bead is long enough to wrap both ends of the tube so nothing shifts. the staples can pull out though. you will visibly see the awning roll up crooked if it does. or, when extended, it will slide. can you see it wind up crooked? maybe it had the steel roller, which is heavy, and the metal wrap and the motor is just getting tired. couldn't hurt to just ask the dealer what he thinks.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
usually the fabric is stapled to the bead and the bead is long enough to wrap both ends of the tube so nothing shifts. the staples can pull out though. you will visibly see the awning roll up crooked if it does. or, when extended, it will slide. can you see it wind up crooked? maybe it had the steel roller, which is heavy, and the metal wrap and the motor is just getting tired. couldn't hurt to just ask the dealer what he thinks.
Are you talking about a Dometic awning? Never heard of a steel tube or the bead being stapled on a Dometic.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #16

dometic does use steel tubes on some models. but judging by your response..not on this one. as far as stapling the fabric to the bead, don't think I ever seen one that wasn't. its usually how they keep the fabric from sliding on the bead.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
dometic does use steel tubes on some models. but judging by your response..not on this one. as far as stapling the fabric to the bead, don't think I ever seen one that wasn't. its usually how they keep the fabric from sliding on the bead.
What model? I've had Dometic awnings since 76 and never heard or seen one.
Looking at this, I guess they might have made them years ago.

Dometic 3108346 Patio Awning Replacement Roller Tube Assembly Camper Trailer RV
Dometic 3108346 Patio Awning Replacement Roller Tube Assembly Camper Trailer RV
The Roller Tube Assembly consists of a roller tube only.
•HD Torsions should used on steel roller tubes 18' and longer
•Aluminum tubes use standard torsions on any size
•All new awnings now use aluminum tubes
Old 07-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #18

Heres a couple pics so you take a couple items off your never seen list.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	82139  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #19

Steel roller tube...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	82140  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

How old are the awnings? I don't see how the staples would keep anything from shifting other than the rope inside the sewn tube and they would rust in a few years. Looks like whomever designed it was "out to lunch" at the time. JMO.

Tags
awning, windjammer