Old 05-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #1

Window

Hi when we bought our 2014 palomino Columbus 325RL fifth wheel, we noticed a small stain down the wall in the kitchen. When we had it looked into and it appears that the vent for the stove apparently had leaked a little bit and it was taken care of by the dealership. It didn't cause any noticeable damage to the wall or the paneling but it did leak down behind the backsplash that was there. I don't know if this backsplash is factory or if someone else installed it but my wife decided that she hated it. Not because it's a backsplash she doesn't think it matches, didnt care for the look of it. So we noticed that it was starting to pull away from the wall where the leak was some water gotten down behind it. So we bought some new backsplash to replace it and I have the old backsplash off and that was no big deal until I got to the window and I felt that perhaps I should try to carefully take a razor knife and trim around the window to remove it as opposed to taking all the screws out of the trim on the inside and actually trying to get it off and underneath the trim. I really would rather have just taken the trim off and gotten all of the backsplash or what's left of it right out of there completely, put up the new backsplash trim it out and put the back trim back on the window. I ran out of time today as I had to go to work but I was real nervous about removing that back trim ring completely. I did loosen up the screws from about halfway down all the way around the bottom and tried to pull it away ever so slightly just to see if I could get that backsplash out of there and it did not work. My biggest concern is that I'm going to take the screws out and that window is going to fall out of the camper and go crashing to the ground and get broken I definitely don't want that. so my question is has anybody been in this similar situation where they had to remove the window treatment and take that ring or trim piece off the inside of the window? is there a danger of that window falling out? I know that it has the caulking strip behind it I just don't know if it's strong enough to hold it in place. I would think that it would be but it's the uncertainty that kept me from doing it . I also thought maybe I would take some gorilla tape and tape the glass on the outside right to the side of the coach just to ensure that it doesn't come out. I'm sure that I can trim around the window and hopefully make it look halfway decent but it would be a whole lot easier and look better if I could get that trim ring out of the way put my backsplash up trim it out and put the window trim ring over the top of it just like it was initially. Thanks a lot
tuneman59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window