Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #1

Window Mechanism - Broken

I found this (picture) when winterizing this fall. I managed to get the wheel to stay in the window track enough to close it tight. Regardless, I'm wondering what my fix is. The entire window seems riveted together. Do I get a whole new mechanism and drill out the rivets and replace it?

I could also drill out the post and 3D print a new wheel. Then size an appropriate screw/nut and fix it that way.

Leaning toward the 3D printing, but it's all packed away for winter, so I can't get any measurements. Maybe I should have the mechanism on-hand and fix it quick in the spring. Then I'll have time to design/print the wheels for "the next time".

Thoughts?
Is it a common failure?

aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

The 3D printing seems like a pretty good plan if you have access to the software and printer. I had a window closer pull off a rivet and pop out of the track without damaging the wheel. There was no way to get it back together without disassembly. I drilled out the rivets, reassembled everything and bolted the mechanism back to the camper with small (tiny) bolts. The repair has stayed solid for well over a year.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #3

Looks similar to my window that is now broke in my 2016 Georgetown 335.

I turned the round handle too hard because it was too stuck to the window. I broke either the handle or the opening mechanism.

Any thoughts?

Where do you get the parts to fix? Thanks.
lbirdie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

I'm not sure. I'll be trying to 3d print replacement parts.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #5

I would think a good dealer should be able to get the part within a week and install it while you wait - ideal world.[emoji41]
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window