Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #1

$2 of preventative caulk

$2 of caulk is all it would've took the previous owner to save me hundreds in repair...

That and better caulk or work by the manufacturer... such a shame what 30k buys you nowadays...

Attached are the gaps in the window seals that cause massive slide rot in just 5 years on a 2015. Not sure when the intrusion started.

I have already found other gaps on access doors with the same failed caulk.

I will be recaulking the entire camper as this clear stuff they use if failing in spots all over.

Just beware everyone.. this is a 2015 and if you aren't doing preventative maintenance this could be you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210310_170312.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	249765   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210310_170321.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	249766   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210310_170352.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	249767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210310-162803_Video Player.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	249768  
Lestienner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You are not the first... you won't be the last.

Caulking is one of the most important aspects of R/V ownership but yet it seems to be the least worried about. I guess the "out of sight, out of mind" comes into play.

We see dozens of posts with caulking issues but hundreds of photos of someone showing something else on their roof and the caulking and seams look terrible.

Unless you've taken the time to Eternabond your roof seams, you really should be inspecting the caulking every 90 days. That goes for other places on the R/V as well as these things flex a lot. Even for those who don't go down the road (permanent/seasonal site) it is just as important. (expansion/contraction)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Caulking is one of the most important aspects of R/V ownership but yet it seems to be the least worried about. I guess the "out of sight, out of mind" comes into play.

We see dozens of posts with caulking issues but hundreds of photos of someone showing something else on their roof and the caulking and seams look terrible.

Unless you've taken the time to Eternabond your roof seams, you really should be inspecting the caulking every 90 days. That goes for other places on the R/V as well as these things flex a lot. Even for those who don't go down the road (permanent/seasonal site) it is just as important. (expansion/contraction)
Agree!!! This camper is new to me.. I'm glad I found this forum... it helped greatly! I'm a real handy guy but this was way out of my scope, not the minor carpentry but the whole RV/TT repair.

Before it goes back to the lake I'm redoing the roof as well, just a recoat and caulk and the ENTIRE camper is getting caulked lol
Old 03-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

What are we looking at here. Looks like a roof edge. But hard to tell.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
What are we looking at here. Looks like a roof edge. But hard to tell.
The top lip of the slide windows, hard to get my phone camera at a good angle looking down but the gaps were bigger than pictured 1/16 in width and one spot was well over 4 inches long.

Would be where the aluminum siding meets the window trim on the outer wall, where I've drawn this arrow after I removed the windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210315-201740_Gallery.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	249809  
Old 03-15-2021, 10:14 PM   #6

Ugh... I’m sorry you’re dealing with that. We have a 2021 and your post makes me wonder which caulk I should use to keep the window frames sealed.

2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Silver - 117K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - White - 217K miles
2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Geotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geotrash View Post
Ugh... I’m sorry you’re dealing with that. We have a 2021 and your post makes me wonder which caulk I should use to keep the window frames sealed.
I found this at a great price... and if it's just for maintenance it should do the trick well... hindsight I wish for a tearout and referb I would've used a more adhesive one like the original... but this will do the trick.. plus, I caulked 100% around the window, not the 25% the factory does and then relies on foam tape..... after new caulk I dint cinch the windows down fully as to not squeeze all the caulk out and to make it so its really pinched after I finish the inside and the pull will be greater hopefully ensuring a impenetrable seal.

Here's the link

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...b_b_asin_title
Old 03-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestienner View Post
$2 of caulk is all it would've took the previous owner to save me hundreds in repair...

That and better caulk or work by the manufacturer... such a shame what 30k buys you nowadays...

Attached are the gaps in the window seals that cause massive slide rot in just 5 years on a 2015. Not sure when the intrusion started.

I have already found other gaps on access doors with the same failed caulk.

I will be recaulking the entire camper as this clear stuff they use if failing in spots all over.

Just beware everyone.. this is a 2015 and if you aren't doing preventative maintenance this could be you!!!

Are those the weep holes? Like the frame was put in upside down?
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
The top lip of the slide windows, hard to get my phone camera at a good angle looking down but the gaps were bigger than pictured 1/16 in width and one spot was well over 4 inches long.

Would be where the aluminum siding meets the window trim on the outer wall, where I've drawn this arrow after I removed the windows.
Oh my! A used 2015 model at $30K, and you're having to do a gut job on it? You have my deepest sympathy.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
I found this at a great price... and if it's just for maintenance it should do the trick well... hindsight I wish for a tearout and referb I would've used a more adhesive one like the original... but this will do the trick.. plus, I caulked 100% around the window, not the 25% the factory does and then relies on foam tape..... after new caulk I dint cinch the windows down fully as to not squeeze all the caulk out and to make it so its really pinched after I finish the inside and the pull will be greater hopefully ensuring a impenetrable seal.

Here's the link

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...b_b_asin_title

Thank you kindly.

2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Silver - 117K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - White - 217K miles
2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Geotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
rfifer

I had no water invasion problems until after a series of heavy rains last summer. When I opened the storage compartment under the rear bunks, there was mold. As it turned out, the leak was coming from the tail light mounts. So, I caulked the tail lights and all of the marker lights on the rear and sides of the trailer (and the front). Afterwards I sprayed a bleach/water combo on the mold in the storage compartment to kill what was there. No problems since. But the moral of the story is beware of any possible entry point whether window seals or external light mounts.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Are those the weep holes? Like the frame was put in upside down?

No, weep holes are located on the face of the frame. You may however see the rubber inserts filling the top weep holes, as the windows are universal as far as top and bottom.

What needs to be focused on is the failed yellowish factory caulk.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:

Those of you that have eternabonded your RV have you had any problems with the eternabond tape and if you did what was the problem ?
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #14

With all this chatter about caulking around windows I went to storage to check on our Coachman 248 RBS windows.

The windows fit very tight against the outer wall, fear of calling it fiberglass, as I have seen folks blasted that it is not fiberglass.

The point is that there is not caulk of any kind around the windows but they all look great and tight.

With that said, do I nee to caulk? I wouldn't think so but what do I know. LOL

Thanks for any advise.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #15

Quote:

On the R-Pod forum (a few years ago) it was noted that not checking the caulking every 90 days (I don't remember for sure the time lapse, but I think it was 90 days) would void your warranty. There was a tag saying such on the door.

Expansion, contraction, road vibration, and UV rays all work to open up those seams.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:51 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
Those of you that have eternabonded your RV have you had any problems with the eternabond tape and if you did what was the problem ?
I covered my roof seams with EternaBond in 2014. The EternaBond still looks great and I've had no problems. With a 10 year warranty I don't think you will find anyone who's had any problems. The good thing is once any problem is found you can place new EternaBond right over the problem area after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol.

That said, you still need to inspect your roof every couple of months. Since we are seasonals and our TT is under a large old oak tree I climb up after a storm, strong wind, or every month for a look.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #17

How to caulk new 2021 front window

The new front windows are in-set and not much room around them to caulk. How do you do that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201003_104240.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	264463  

Tags
caulk, vent