Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2022, 06:09 AM   #1

2006 shamrock 26RS rear slide problem

hello new member here, i looked around and did some searching but didn't exactly find what i was looking for.

i bought last year this camper and everything work great and i was very happy with it. well bought in october so stored it, first trim memorial day had a great weekend....then i got home.

put rear slide out so we could empty trailer and when i went to pull rear slide back in bamb heard a noise. Noticed slide was tilting pretty bad down while trying to get it in.went out side on driver side say wall poking out bottom right corner saw what looked to be a wood stud broken. had wide hit the in button for me as i lifted slide up and drew it all the way in.

so what is the fix? i'm sure i can't be the only one that has had this. is it expensive? hard? moderate with some guidance? please help as i'm pretty handy i really a upset as my kids love camping (first time for my youngest)
Paul-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:26 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

On a 2006 model, it's hard for us to say what may be wrong with your slide (especially without photos) but if you are seeing exposed wall studs, that can't be good.

Water intrusion and rot are common issues in slides.

Best of luck figuring out what happened.
Camping should be fun.

It seems you double posted in another section, I'll ask the mods to merge/remove the other.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
On a 2006 model, it's hard for us to say what may be wrong with your slide (especially without photos) but if you are seeing exposed wall studs, that can't be good.

Water intrusion and rot are common issues in slides.

Best of luck figuring out what happened.
Camping should be fun.

It seems you double posted in another section, I'll ask the mods to merge/remove the other.
yes seems like rot is the issue but i need to know what's involved with how to repair it. Like best way to get to stud for repair

yes thank you i wasn't sure how to delete other.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-g View Post
yes seems like rot is the issue but i need to know what's involved with how to repair it. Like best way to get to stud for repair

yes thank you i wasn't sure how to delete other.
Slide construction is different from model to model and sometimes from slide to slide if the R/V has several different kinds of slide mechanisms. (not uncommon)

Slide walls are also often thinner than the main sidewalls and sometimes vacuum bonded so without some photos of YOUR situation we are simply guessing.

While the walls can have the appearance of a stick-built house wall, they are often not. Most interior sheeting (usually thin Luan) is either glued and/or stapled and outer walls can be the same with either fiberglass or tin covering. If the rot is extensive, you may have little to work with. Pressed board is often used in the floors and it doesn't do well getting wet either.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Rear hard sided bed slide trailers were very popular for awhile. Outback RV was the most popular brand and other brands joined the crowd.
But problems started showing up and it got so bad, manufacturers started dropping them from their lineups, including Roo/Shamrock.
I believe Roo/Shamrock only made them for 3 years before dropping them.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:31 AM   #6

ya i have to go look at it again, it's really a nice camper this just makes me mad that on my first camping trip it broke.

if i knew was easy , but time to fix, i would just take fiberglass off enough to fix i would do it but taking slide out might be a bit of work. doesn't seem all that heavy
Old 06-02-2022, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-g View Post
put rear slide out so we could empty trailer and when i went to pull rear slide back in bamb heard a noise. Noticed slide was tilting pretty bad down while trying to get it in.went out side on driver side say wall poking out bottom right corner saw what looked to be a wood stud broken. had wide hit the in button for me as i lifted slide up and drew it all the way in.
Sorry for your woes, Paul-g, seems like trouble comes for us all, though this one is a larger issue. Can you reattached the wood stud to the other framing members? Seems like a construction problem, especially if there's no visible damage to the slide itself indicating someone opened it against something.

Might be worth your while to call a local traveling RV repair group to come out and take a quick look at it and give you a bid to fix. Then you'd know what you were dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Rear hard sided bed slide trailers were very popular for awhile. Outback RV was the most popular brand and other brands joined the crowd.
I was awfully tempted by one of the Jayco versions for a while (x213, I think: king bed AND - wowsa - a cargo door!), but the layout isn't really great, the living space is cramped, and - you said it - the construction is poor.

Glad I Roo'd it up with tent ends.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Sorry for your woes, Paul-g, seems like trouble comes for us all, though this one is a larger issue. Can you reattached the wood stud to the other framing members? Seems like a construction problem, especially if there's no visible damage to the slide itself indicating someone opened it against something.

Might be worth your while to call a local traveling RV repair group to come out and take a quick look at it and give you a bid to fix. Then you'd know what you were dealing with.

I was awfully tempted by one of the Jayco versions for a while (x213, I think: king bed AND - wowsa - a cargo door!), but the layout isn't really great, the living space is cramped, and - you said it - the construction is poor.

Glad I Roo'd it up with tent ends.
I tried calling traveling RV groups (one 2 towns over) and he told me he thinks it would be like 5-6k to fix which there is no way. told me just the rear wall fiberglass would be 2k just for that as he would replace it to get rid of the cracks in the corners. I am going to haul it to an RV place few towns over said they would look at it and give me idea.

personally if i could get fiberglass off enough to get to frame work i would just rebuild it back with studs like you suggested, i would find some kind of expoxy to reattach it if that's what's needed. I just never done this and a bit nervous about maybe removing slide. if i could remove trim and wall and just slide it back and see frame work then will be easy
Old 06-02-2022, 12:08 PM   #9

Not sure its the same issue, but your post made me think of this thread from a while back:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...roo-92246.html

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Not sure its the same issue, but your post made me think of this thread from a while back:

That's the one I remember also.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post

I can see where that can happen, thats why I'm trying to get this handled. Honestly if i can get it fixed 100% i will hold onto it. If I can't nit sure what to do

Tags
shamrock, slide